An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Pope Traditional Or Modern

GraceUk

Hope this is in the right section.  I was wondering if the posters here had any thoughts on this.  A few biographies I have read were by nuns whose lives were turned upside down by Vatican II.  Or so they wrote.   If it was me I'd go for middle of the road.  Not too set in tradition but certainly not too modern and wanting to change everything.  Here in the UK I think the Cardinal from Ghana is thought to be the most likely.  Or so my friend said!

Hope this is in the right section.  I was wondering if the posters here had any thoughts on this.  A few biographies I have read were by nuns whose lives were turned upside down by Vatican II.  Or so they wrote.   If it was me I'd go for middle of the road.  Not too set in tradition but certainly not too modern and wanting to change everything.  Here in the UK I think the Cardinal from Ghana is thought to be the most likely.  Or so my friend said!

It would be hard to find any "too modern" candidates as all the Cardinals were appointed by either John Paul II or Benedict.

But yes this is likely an Open Mic topic.

Nihil Obstat

It would be hard to find any "too modern" candidates as all the Cardinals were appointed by either John Paul II or Benedict.

But yes this is likely an Open Mic topic.

I disagree. There are several who are extremely 'modern', even modernist. Hummes, I think, is one.

OnlySunshine

I would love to see someone installed as Pope who has both the qualities of John Paul II and Benedict XVI.  John Paul II really touched the lives of young people (me included) but Benedict brought back traditionalism.  :)

It was my understanding that Bl. JP II incardinated quite a few closet-liberals who have turned out to be problematic since then.

Is this incorrect?

OnlySunshine

It was my understanding that Bl. JP II incardinated quite a few closet-liberals who have turned out to be problematic since then.

Is this incorrect?

Nvrmind.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Nihil Obstat

Is this incorrect?

Some of his appointments proved later to be very poor choices. Not sure about closet liberals... Most of that sort probably did not bother with the closet bit.

I don't mind if it's moved.  But I was thinking more of how the choice of Pope would affect those already in relgious life or the priesthood or discerning.  I'm really looking forward to seeing who they choose in the end.  I liked Pope Benedict.  Wasn't sure when he was first elected but I thought his visit to the UK went really great.