An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns And Swimming

ToJesusMyHeart

IgnatiusofLoyola

Just to clarify, I am neither for or against "swim habits." I am in no position to give advice or even have an educated opinion on this particular subject for ANY female religious Community.

I do think that swimming in traditional habits could be dangerous under certain conditions due to the heavy weight of most wet fabrics, particularly in the open ocean. However, I also know that wearing of the habit all the time (except perhaps in the shower or exceptional circumstances, such as in surgery) is a very important value and practice in certain Communities. I know that every Order and Community is different in this regard, and I am certainly not going to make  value judgements as to what a particular Community decides is best for them with regard in swimming at all, and if they decide to go swimming, what the Community wears when they swim.

It was in that context that I brought up the fact that in the past few years there have been new fabrics created that are both very light and non-clinging (helping to preserve modesty) so that Communities who do wish to wear the habit when swimming now have an option to do so that is less dangerous and yet still preserves both their modesty and the rules/practices of the Community.

Whether a "swimming habit" is necessary or important, or whether it reflects "scrupulosity", versus wearing a modest swimming outfit that is not a habit, is not my decision to make--it is the decision solely of the specific Community/Order. I try to do my best to refrain from judgements on Community practices which I only know about secondhand, certainly in subjects such as swimming. For a serious discerner to a particular Community (versus someone who is simply "interested" in varying practices among Communities), a Community's decision about whether to swim at all, and if so, what the Sisters wear when swimming, is one factor among hundreds of factors in considering a Community. A Community's decision about swimming, and swimming apparel, may be an indication of wider beliefs and practices, including a possible indication of scrupulosity, or, it could just as easily be an unimportant detail.

Modest swimwear is a big concern for two groups of women that probably haven't occurred to you all: devout Muslim women and haredi [ultra-Orthodox] Jewish women.  In fact, in Israel, many swimming pools have special hours during the week for women only.  It is certainly an excellent form of exercise, and if there are enough sisters in a community who want to swim, and there is a pool in the vicinity, it might be possible to arrange an hour or so occasionally when no men will be permitted in the pool area. [On a kibbutz I know, many non-religious older women choose to go swimming when it's "women only" -- living with sons and grandsons in a community, no older woman really wants to show off her varicose veins and/or flab to everyone]