An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns And Swimming

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Serious question:

Do nuns/sisters go swimming? 

If yes, what do they wear to swim? 

FutureSister2009

I have heard that some do. I believe the Salesians do. The Convent I stayed at had a pool but it was mainly used for their camp

I think many nuns go swimming, but only in private. That has been my experience with the sisters I have asked. Simple one-piece suits and only in the presence of community members.

MissScripture

When my sister went as a postulant (Nashville Dominican) they wore one-piece black suits, with just the other community members around. Idk what they would do/if they would go after receiving the habit, because Idk how they would work it with the veil.

OnlySunshine

When my sister went as a postulant (Nashville Dominican) they wore one-piece black suits, with just the other community members around. Idk what they would do/if they would go after receiving the habit, because Idk how they would work it with the veil.

They probably wear swim caps to cover their head.  :)

Serious question:

Do nuns/sisters go swimming? 

If yes, what do they wear to swim? 

Ours don't. I think there can be some leeway in places where you'd legitimately bathe/wash outdoors. But only with the community in that case.

OnlySunshine

My friend is a Sister in a Carmelite community.  They used to have a pool in the convent garden which could only be accessed by the Sisters.  Many of the older Sisters used the pool for therapeutic purposes to ease their arthritis.  However, my friend told me the pool was not in keeping with their Superior's view of chastity because of bathing suits being too revealing or poverty because of the cost of the upkeep of the pool.  The community took a vote and agreed to fill the pool in.  I never knew there used to be a pool on their grounds because it is completely covered by grass!  I was surprised when she told me.

When I applied to the Carmelite community (same order, different Province) in 2009, one of the Sisters told me that they use the pools connected to the group homes.  I asked how they do this and maintain privacy and she said that only Sisters can use them at night.  I never did ask her what kind of bathing suits they wear but I suspect they used modest one-piece suits.  She did say that they used bathing caps.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

maximillion

We went swimming at the pool of a benefactor when we were novices. We had privacy, wore one piece bathing suits and black swim caps.

Once Professed, we lost the privilege (enclosure).

My sister is a Cloistered Norbertine Novice, and she said that last year, on a very special occasion, Mother let them go swimming in their lake. But, as Mother didn't want them to get into the habit of taking off their Habit, they swam in full... Habit! Since their clothes were so heavy when wet, one of the Sisters made them all little floaties ;)

Totally Franciscan

I am somewhat bewildered by LLFrances, that the Norbertine novices swam with their habits on.  I think a bit of common sense should apply to nuns swimming.  There are many swim suits on the market that would provide modesty.  Also, a habit is blessed, so using the habit in this way seems not appropriate in this situation.  When I was a postulant in one community, we went swimming in the local public swimming pool after the season had ended.  We were the only ones there, and the pool was located in a rural area with complete privacy.  Our postulant mistress did not swim, saying that she would swim with us when we were novices.  When I was in a contemplative community, we got one of those above-ground pools that could be taken down during the winter.  We all wore one-piece swim suits.  A large wall surrounded the monastery, so it was very private. 

maximillion

I agree, common sense must be permitted!

Can't imagine swimming in a full habit is that safe, either.......

loveletslive

two of my friends are sisters and both go swimming. one community has it's own pool on the grounds for exercise & she brought her own simple, modest skirt suit. the other goes swimming when they go to a camp with the novitiate and they have a ton of lands end black swim suits (she told me this particular detail saying she thought i would appreciate knowing they had good, quality swimsuits haha!) and the sisters just grab one in their size and wash it after wearing it. swim caps.

Bewildering as it may be, every Community is different, as are their preferences. I can see the obvious merit in wearing bathing suits (and how much more convenient to actually swim in!), but since going swimming is such a very rare occasion for them, she may not have deemed it practical. I don't know, I guess as outsiders it's hard to judge. :)