An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traditionalism Within Orders

Annie12

Hello,

I am discerning the Sisters of Life right now and I was wondering if anyone knows how traditional they are. I really am drawn to the Latin rite but I doubt that they are Latin rite. Am I correct in assuming this? I Know the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia are Latin Rite and if discernment with the SOL doesn't work out I will probably move on to discerning with that community. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Annie12

Guest Allie

Hello,

I am discerning the Sisters of Life right now and I was wondering if anyone knows how traditional they are. I really am drawn to the Latin rite but I doubt that they are Latin rite. Am I correct in assuming this? I Know the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia are Latin Rite and if discernment with the SOL doesn't work out I will probably move on to discerning with that community. Any thoughts on this?

What do you mean by "Latin Rite"?

The term 'Latin Rite' refers to our particular subcommunity within the wider Church, not the specific language of the liturgy. Parishes celebrating the Novus Ordo in English are still Latin Rite (sometimes also known as Western Catholicism). We have our own traditions that set us apart from Eastern Catholic rites, which include our liturgies - both English (Novus Ordo) and Latin (Tridentine).

In answer to your question, Annie, I don't think the Sisters of Life have Mass in Latin. I've seen other discerners asking and the reply has always been no from those who have visited there.

I wouldn't rule out the Sisters of Life based on the liturgy being Novus Ordo vs. Tridentine.  No doubt there are some people who love the Latin Mass but there are many things that are important in discerning a community: charism, apostolate, etc.  The Sisters of Life have a unique apostolate that is extremely important these days and I would at least recommend visiting them first before making a decision.

Of course I have nothing but love for the Nashies after going on retreat with them but I discerned with both communities and think that there is a lot of "traditionalism" to be found in both.

HopefulBride

The NDs do not have the Extra Ordinary form of the mass. Maybe from time to time but not on regular basis. It could be things have changed since I visited them.

she_who_is_not

The NDs do not have the Extraordinary Form. In fact, I don't believe there is a weekly Latin mass in Nashville, though Annunciation may have it monthly.

I asked Sr Antoniana about the Tridentine Mass when I went on retreat with the Sisters of Life and they said it was not part of their life but they are open to it. The Mass at the retreat centre was quite nice with the responses in Latin but local mission Masses depend on the chaplain and some have been rather lack luster so-to-speak.

MarysLittleFlower

Hello,

I think you mean the Latin Mass? :) (Latin Rite is the Roman Catholic Rite in general, rather than the other 22 Eastern rites in the Catholic Church).

I'm drawn to the Latin Mass too, and you might be interested in the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles... they look wonderful :) I'm sure there are others as well!!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I had another question I don't feel like making an entire new thread for: Is it possible God may be asking me to discern religious life but not to necessarily join a religious community? Like, could he be calling me to discernment and then  may call me to marriage?

I had another question I don't feel like making an entire new thread for: Is it possible God may be asking me to discern religious life but not to necessarily join a religious community? Like, could he be calling me to discernment and then  may call me to marriage?

Hehehe! Having watched what people on here go through for a while now, I think it's good to think seriously about both, whatever you end up doing. Discern is a blurry word because with both ways of life you don't really know it until you're in it, but probably good to consider both. And a religious community would very likely ask you if you'd considered marriage anyway. :)

• 4 weeks later...
ToJesusMyHeart

Hello,

+

Hey Annie. I just saw this thread from awhile ago. I've been on the Come and See with the Sisters of Life and I'm going to visit again this May for an extended visit. I've also been on the Come and See in Nashville. 

I consider them both quite traditional. The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia do not have the Latin Mass, as others have said. Neither do the Sisters of Life, but I also asked about this and got the same reply as others: they are open to it, but don't have it currently. 

I have only been to Mass at Villa Maria Guadalupe, the retreat convent in Connecticut. It was very traditional and beautiful.The Holy Respite in Manhattan (Sacred Heart of Jesus convent) goes to Mass across the street at a local parish and I got the impression that that parish is a tad less traditional than at the retreat convent in CT. However, I did not attend Mass and cannot be certain how the liturgy is celebrated there.

The Sisters of Life have Latin in their prayers and use Latin responses often in Holy Mass at their retreat convent. The Salve is sung in Latin. 

As far as a traditionalism standpoint, the only big difference in that respect that I see between the Dominicans in Nashville and the Sisters of Life is that the Dominicans sing the Salve every day, but the Sisters of Life only do it on Saturdays, and the Nashville Doms' postulants wear mantilla chapel veils, but the Sisters of Life postulants do not wear them. 

Both orders love study and both follow the Rule of St. Augustine. The Sisters of Life almost chose the Rule of St. Francis but ended up with Augustine's by a close decision. They are more strictly poverty-oriented than the Dominicans at Nashville. Obviously, both orders take vows of poverty, but they live them out differently and to different degrees. PM me for details if you want. :) Both orders are holy and beautiful!

+JMJ