An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Have Tabernacles Disappeared? [resurrected]

mortify

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The Latin parish nearest to my house still has the tabernacle in the center of the wall where the altar used to be, but it is shrouded in darkness during the liturgy. When I asked why the lights around the tabernacle were turned off I was told that they do not illuminate the area around it because the "tabernacle is not supposed to be a focus of the worship space while the community is making eucharist."

Only one light needs to be on next to the tabernacle, that little red one.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Our tabernacles are in the front of the Church. Not all parishes self -destructed.

I don't know of any parish in my diocese that doesn't have the tabernacle in a prominent spot elevated so all can see, except the cathedral, which is strange, the tabernacle there is in the wing and can't be seen by the majority of the cathedral. If this is wrong i hope that they move it some day soon.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Really? You need to come to Australia. The 'renovated' chapels are so stupid, it's like they decided to make the back corner extend out like 30 meters, so that that extension is the main part and the tabernacle is in the old section. You spend a good minute searching for the Tabernacle, and then it doesn't even look like one. It's more like a bird-cage, with all respect. Literally. And the Parramatta diocese cathedral is possibly one of the most ridiculous I have seen, being like an auditorium, the people facing each other on both sides, the altar below the people in the middle, and the tabernacle is outside the main church in a side chapel rather far away. Not to mention the modern 'art',7855153.jpg

The wire thing you may think being the crown of thorns. No, it's actually 'The Holy Spirit'. Uhhh......

Sorry, gone on a rant. Does anyone sympathize?  *CRY*

Are these chapels? Perhaps chapels don't have the same conditions as a parish church. I have been to a few different parishes in australia and there all OK. Tabernacles elevated in a place of prominence in full view of the parish. Except st benedicts gold coast and the cathedral in my diocese. I don't mind the crucifix with the holy spirit but i don't know about the whole circular auditorium thing. I heard sydney is kicking goals in the holy catholic church when it comes to ministries, heaps to do that is Christ centered.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think half of what goes on here and is said about the holy catholic church is codswallop, i can't believe any branch of the holy catholic church in the modern age of Vatican spies and private jets could get away with anything so blasphemous for any extended period of time. If this is the state of the Holy catholic church in the u.s.a and possibly Sydney surely it must have the reigns pulled on it by the magesterium soon enough.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I wouldn't doubt that some pictures, videos and documents are fraudulent and an attempt to dishearten those Catholic Christians whom are not so clued in. An act. A show. Fantasy. Make believe.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

TheLordsSouljah

Are these chapels? Perhaps chapels don't have the same conditions as a parish church. I have been to a few different parishes in australia and there all OK. Tabernacles elevated in a place of prominence in full view of the parish. Except st benedicts gold coast and the cathedral in my diocese. I don't mind the crucifix with the holy spirit but i don't know about the whole circular auditorium thing. I heard sydney is kicking goals in the holy catholic church when it comes to ministries, heaps to do that is Christ centered.

Don't get me wrong, there are a heap of good ones.... some very beautiful. It's just a lot of the ones built in the 70s/80s, etc. I find the wire extraordinarily in my face and distracting... for me I see nothing to raise my eyes to, except a heap of twisted metal and down lights. My home parish is shaped like a sea shell, though my own Cathedral at home is a nice older sortaly Gothic cathedral. Ahh dear...

Only one light needs to be on next to the tabernacle, that little red one.

There are no lights around the tabernacle at all during the liturgy, because the parish liturgy committee has determined that if the tabernacle can be seen it will distract from the Eucharistic liturgy.

Our tabernacles are in the front of the Church. Not all parishes self -destructed.

Not ours. It is way off on the left side of
the church. I wish they would put it where it
belongs

Not ours. It is way off on the left side of
the church. I wish they would put it where it
belongs

That happens a lot, but it should be located on the altar. The tabernacle and the altar are one mystery of the Lord's presence and so they should never be separated.

AccountDeleted

I hate it when they put it in another room entirely. At one church in the US I looked all around for the vigil lamp and finally found it over a doorway - they had a separate chapel where they kept the Tabernacle and they actually went off into that room during Mass to the Tabernacle. I didn't go back there again.

In one church in the OC, they had the Tabernacle in a small area away from the altar - still in the same room but off to a side. I went over to pray and noticed that the key was IN the Tabernacle door. Of course this is the same church where I asked a parishioner when Reconciliation was and she told me that 'Father doesn't believe that people should tell him their sins - he says they should tell them to God.' I didn't go back there again either.

One time in Australia the priest left the chalice on the altar for people to come up and help themselves during Communion. That time I did speak to the priest afterwards, suggesting that it wasn't 'legal' to do this, and he said he didn't have anyone to give it out, and he thought this way was better than no one receiving. To make things even worse (if possible) this was a parish in a poor area so there were obviously people with alcohol problems who could just help themselves to wine without any understanding of the Sacrament at all. I didn't go back there again either.

It isn't easy to find a good parish sometimes - so anyone who does - be grateful for such a grace!

That happens a lot, but it should be located on the altar. The tabernacle and the altar are one mystery of the Lord's presence and so they should never be separated.

According to the theory of many contemporary liturgists, the Tabernacle is an aberration that needs removal. In their minds hiding the Tabernacle in a separate room is the right thing to do.