An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing To Emma (emmaberry And Emmaberry101)

ChristinaTherese

FutureSister2009

We were very surprised as we are converts and didn't know we should be encouraging our children to discern whether they have a vocation to religious life. Now we do and are teaching our younger kids about vocations ( Emma actually is teaching them more than we ever could by accepting her call to religious life)

We were happy for her because we already knew the value of the religious life, St. Therese of Liseux being one of our favorite saints. We were concerned when she wanted to not finish school first. Hers was an urgent calling. The more we have gotten to know the Nuns and seen their joy and peace, it has certainly helped us to have great peace. Our smaller children are having a harder time. Our extended family is "tearing their clothes" in distress. They are rather anti-Catholic and it will be hard for them to understand.

We are coping quite well. The initial entrance was incredibly difficult and we all cried all week. This visit there was not as much crying.  We had more peace after seeing her happy, healthy and full of peace. God is so good. Our priest gave the most amazing homily on religious vocation and the beauty of it the day after we returned! We felt the hand of God reaching down to comfort us in the pew.

Anyone out there discerning a religious vocation, please know it is the most beautiful, happy life I have ever seen. We think we are so great out here in the world; but we are really just beggars in soiled clothing eating scraps from the King's castle. The cloistered Nuns are actually living IN the King's castle in the company of the King!

Thank you Mrs. Berry! I would like to show this to my mom as well. She needs to hear it! God Bless you and your daughter and your family!

I hope my words can help your parents. There are so many layers to a religious vocation, it is so deep. I only scratched the surface. 

We have the most amazing little vocation booklets they were written by a priest named Daniel A. Lord. I can try to find them and figure out a way to scan them and send them to you, if you don't have them already. They make me cry every time.

We saw Emma praying all night at our Parish's adoration chapel, growing, changing, falling out of love with the things of this word and in love with our beautiful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

I am envious of her faith and this opportunity for her to become one in heart and mind with Jesus in His cloister.  It is still difficult because we miss her and her little brother and sister miss her most of all, but I am hoping her obedience will help them grow in their faith little by little.

May God bless you and I am praying for all of you as "Emma's discerning friends on Phatmass". Please let me know your names if you would like for me to pray for you at daily Mass each day.

ToJesusMyHeart

My name is Katie and I would be so blessed by your prayers. I am praying for your family and Emma! :)

Chiquitunga

Praised be Jesus Christ! Mrs. Berry, thank you so much for giving up this update on Emma and for your sharing your thoughts here on her most beautiful vocation and your loving support for her. This is all very inspiring!  I will keep your family in prayer. I still have the Christmas card she sent me with pictures of all of you including her younger siblings who look like her! (& the amazing picture with Cardinal Burke) Your family is very blessed!

I sent Emma the one Fr. Lord book, Shall I Be A Nun and she took pictures and posted it here, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123980-emmaberrys-pcc-countdown/?p=2529553   and also here in a thread I started on another one of his books, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109682-all-american-girl-story-of-a-vocation-to-carmel/  Actually she has both of them that she uploaded there, Shall My Daughter be a Nun & Shall I be a Nun :like:

She started a separate thread on Shall My Daughter be Nun too, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123380-shall-my-daughter-be-a-nun/

Her presence here on VS was such a blast of joy and enthusiasm! I'm so happy for her! :nun2:

I feel called to the cloistered contemplative life also, though I haven't been able to enter for a number of years, long story which I prefer to not write about online. Once I am free to enter, I'm going ASAP. But please keep me in prayer! I will PM you my name. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
lisaberry

Praised be Jesus Christ! Mrs. Berry, thank you so much for giving up this update on Emma and for your sharing your thoughts here on her most beautiful vocation and your loving support for her. This is all very inspiring!  I will keep your family in prayer. I still have the Christmas card she sent me with pictures of all of you including her younger siblings who look like her! (& the amazing picture with Cardinal Burke) Your family is very blessed!

I sent Emma the one Fr. Lord book, Shall I Be A Nun and she took pictures and posted it here, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123980-emmaberrys-pcc-countdown/?p=2529553   and also here in a thread I started on another one of his books, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109682-all-american-girl-story-of-a-vocation-to-carmel/  Actually she has both of them that she uploaded there, Shall My Daughter be a Nun & Shall I be a Nun :like:

She started a separate thread on Shall My Daughter be Nun too, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123380-shall-my-daughter-be-a-nun/

Her presence here on VS was such a blast of joy and enthusiasm! I'm so happy for her! :nun2:

I feel called to the cloistered contemplative life also, though I haven't been able to enter for a number of years, long story which I prefer to not write about online. Once I am free to enter, I'm going ASAP. But please keep me in prayer! I will PM you my name. Thank you so much!

lisaberry

replying to Quititunga's post:(because I don't know how to reply to a specific post!)

thank you for the link to the Daniel Lord books. I will print them out and send to our family who is "not on board." I cannot find Emma's copies right now.

They are the most beautiful little books. I will pray for you-Lisa

Guest Allie

It is Emma's birthday today! please pray for her today. She is 20 years old!

Praying for her and for your family. 

• 2 weeks later...
Kaylie Haynes

Hello everyone!  I am brand new to PM, actually I just joined because I was looking for some info on the Roswell Poor Clares and stumbled upon Emma's page...I am discerning with the community down there, and I just got back on Thursday from a visit to the monastery...I got to meet Emma, and she is doing quite well :)  It was so wonderful to see the joy and peace she has there (and all the sisters really!)  Just wanted to give you all a little update :) Pax et bonum!

Kaylie Haynes

We were very surprised as we are converts and didn't know we should be encouraging our children to discern whether they have a vocation to religious life. Now we do and are teaching our younger kids about vocations ( Emma actually is teaching them more than we ever could by accepting her call to religious life)

We were happy for her because we already knew the value of the religious life, St. Therese of Liseux being one of our favorite saints. We were concerned when she wanted to not finish school first. Hers was an urgent calling. The more we have gotten to know the Nuns and seen their joy and peace, it has certainly helped us to have great peace. Our smaller children are having a harder time. Our extended family is "tearing their clothes" in distress. They are rather anti-Catholic and it will be hard for them to understand.

We are coping quite well. The initial entrance was incredibly difficult and we all cried all week. This visit there was not as much crying.  We had more peace after seeing her happy, healthy and full of peace. God is so good. Our priest gave the most amazing homily on religious vocation and the beauty of it the day after we returned! We felt the hand of God reaching down to comfort us in the pew.

Anyone out there discerning a religious vocation, please know it is the most beautiful, happy life I have ever seen. We think we are so great out here in the world; but we are really just beggars in soiled clothing eating scraps from the King's castle. The cloistered Nuns are actually living IN the King's castle in the company of the King!

Also, thank you for these beautiful words of wisdom Mrs Berry!  Your family is very much in my prayers.  Praise God for your courageous faith!