An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing To Emma (emmaberry And Emmaberry101)

ChristinaTherese

ChristinaTherese

So, I'm writing to Emma after Easter. If anyone wants to send messages to her, either reply to this or send me a PM and I'll put your message in my letter.

ChristinaTherese

I just realized that, although I'm sure this is unnecessary, it might help clarify things for me if you would make it clear that your replies/PMs were messages for Emma.

Lil'Monster

Tell her that she's in my prayers and that I am still alive. Tell her that I am going on my 5th Retreat in May. Tell her that I am still weird as usual. Tell her that she's awesome even though she's not dominican. :|

Tell her Hello from another Poor Clare wannabeeee.  And if she could pass on to the sisters in Roswell that Mother Francis is one of my favorite Poor Clares to read, her books have helped tremendously with my discernment.  And that I'm praying she has an amazing Easter (along with the sisters.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone-This is Emma's mom. We just went to see her and she is so ADORABLE in her novice veil. She is healthy and so full of joy. She wanted me to tell all of you "hello" and she is praying for you all.

Please feel free to write to her at 809 E. 19th, Roswell, NM 88201, c/o  of the Roswell Poor Clare Nuns.

she loves getting mail (Sundays is when she can read mail.)  She can only write to her immediate family as her time is so limited. She will write us messages to pass on to you all. She hopes to persevere and be in the Monastery as long as she is alive. She is in charge of ringing the chapel bells, sweeping and other general work. Her main work is the Divine Office which she loves dearly.

Please pray for our entire family as we are receiving lots of negative feedback and hurtful comments regarding Emma's vocation. Our youngest daughter also has a hard time with Emma's vocation as she misses her sister.

Thanks! Lisa Bery

ToJesusMyHeart

Mrs. Berry, are pictures allowed?

I would just love to see Emma in her novice habit. I understand if this is not permitted though! :)

I am praying for your family and for Emma. What is her religious name? 

ChristinaTherese

Mrs. Berry, are pictures allowed?

I would just love to see Emma in her novice habit. I understand if this is not permitted though! :)

I am praying for your family and for Emma. What is her religious name? 

It looks like Mrs. Berry's profile pic is of Emma.

Her name is "just "Emma"", as she told me in response to the letter I sent. (As the question had been asked here before, I figured I would ask her.)

I included the messages you gave me above in my letter (that is, the messages from marigold, Mon, and Eowyn). She began her letter thus: "May God reward you for your Easter letter, and all the wonderful messages it contains! It was such a nice surprise to receive it."

(I guess I was able to get a letter from her because it's Eastertide and the rules might be a little bit relaxed?)

Mrs. Berry, thanks for letting us know how Emma's doing!

maximillion

Wait, If Emma entered in January has she been Clothed? On the website it says Postulancy is a year...........

Can someone clarify? Is this a move from Aspirancy to Postulancy?

Guest Allie

Wait, If Emma entered in January has she been Clothed? On the website it says Postulancy is a year...........

Can someone clarify? Is this a move from Aspirancy to Postulancy?

Yes.  I think Lisa said novice because she's part of "the novitiate".

FutureSister2009

Mrs. Berry, when you have some time, could you please give us some insight on how you coped with your daughter entering into a cloister?

We were very surprised as we are converts and didn't know we should be encouraging our children to discern whether they have a vocation to religious life. Now we do and are teaching our younger kids about vocations ( Emma actually is teaching them more than we ever could by accepting her call to religious life)

We were happy for her because we already knew the value of the religious life, St. Therese of Liseux being one of our favorite saints. We were concerned when she wanted to not finish school first. Hers was an urgent calling. The more we have gotten to know the Nuns and seen their joy and peace, it has certainly helped us to have great peace. Our smaller children are having a harder time. Our extended family is "tearing their clothes" in distress. They are rather anti-Catholic and it will be hard for them to understand.

We are coping quite well. The initial entrance was incredibly difficult and we all cried all week. This visit there was not as much crying.  We had more peace after seeing her happy, healthy and full of peace. God is so good. Our priest gave the most amazing homily on religious vocation and the beauty of it the day after we returned! We felt the hand of God reaching down to comfort us in the pew.

Anyone out there discerning a religious vocation, please know it is the most beautiful, happy life I have ever seen. We think we are so great out here in the world; but we are really just beggars in soiled clothing eating scraps from the King's castle. The cloistered Nuns are actually living IN the King's castle in the company of the King!

Guest Allie

We were very surprised as we are converts and didn't know we should be encouraging our children to discern whether they have a vocation to religious life. Now we do and are teaching our younger kids about vocations ( Emma actually is teaching them more than we ever could by accepting her call to religious life)

We were happy for her because we already knew the value of the religious life, St. Therese of Liseux being one of our favorite saints. We were concerned when she wanted to not finish school first. Hers was an urgent calling. The more we have gotten to know the Nuns and seen their joy and peace, it has certainly helped us to have great peace. Our smaller children are having a harder time. Our extended family is "tearing their clothes" in distress. They are rather anti-Catholic and it will be hard for them to understand.

We are coping quite well. The initial entrance was incredibly difficult and we all cried all week. This visit there was not as much crying.  We had more peace after seeing her happy, healthy and full of peace. God is so good. Our priest gave the most amazing homily on religious vocation and the beauty of it the day after we returned! We felt the hand of God reaching down to comfort us in the pew.

Anyone out there discerning a religious vocation, please know it is the most beautiful, happy life I have ever seen. We think we are so great out here in the world; but we are really just beggars in soiled clothing eating scraps from the King's castle. The cloistered Nuns are actually living IN the King's castle in the company of the King!

Lisa,  I am sending this to my mother. It may help her more than anything I've been able to say or do.  God reward you--especially for understanding that some calls are urgent.  Wishing you all good, Allie