An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aspergers/autism

ithinkjesusiscool

Thy Geekdom Come

What also may help, in some situations at least, is to ponder if someone else acted like that around you, how you would feel and think about their behavior. What if someone talked about nothing but a subject that you had no interest in? More likely than not, you'd find that annoying and want to talk about other things.

I've had that happen. I taught a couple Asperger's kids. They were great and I related to them better than most of my peers, but they still had different interests from mine, and sometimes they were very unappealing.

We sometimes meditate on the life of Jesus (and Mary). This is hard for people with asperger?

I think meditation can be hard for anyone, whether they're on the spectrum or not.

With the rosary mysteries, occasionally I feel like I understand things more deeply when I picture the events, but usually it's like I'm trying to replay the same movie over and over and each time it gets a little less meaningful and more annoying. I do better when I'm trying to unite my experience to theirs; for example, when I'm afraid, I remember that Christ was more afraid than I've ever been in Gethsemane, and He was alone. Even though I am still afraid I try to offer comfort at the time when He needed it more than I do. It's an eternal event; in some sense, it really is possible for me to be there.

Thy Geekdom Come

I think meditation can be hard for anyone, whether they're on the spectrum or not.

True.

With the rosary mysteries, occasionally I feel like I understand things more deeply when I picture the events, but usually it's like I'm trying to replay the same movie over and over and each time it gets a little less meaningful and more annoying. I do better when I'm trying to unite my experience to theirs; for example, when I'm afraid, I remember that Christ was more afraid than I've ever been in Gethsemane, and He was alone. Even though I am still afraid I try to offer comfort at the time when He needed it more than I do. It's an eternal event; in some sense, it really is possible for me to be there.

:like2:

ithinkjesusiscool

Are we supposed to make the rosary something intelectual? Summa Theologica is fine but I want to understand religion not like that all the time
Anyway, people with asperger have problems with emotions (on a psychological level). Knowing what they feel or feeling to much can be a problem. Sometimes they have feelings but just can't express it with words. How does this affect their practice of religion?

Ithinkjesusiscool, everyone prays differently and no one is saying what you're 'supposed' to do with a rosary. :) I choose a Scripture verse for each Mystery and begin by thinking about that, offering each decade for a particular person or intention. My attention will often wander, in which case I don't beat myself up about it, I gently carry on - everyone has this problem. Other people pray the rosary differently, some without using the Mysteries at all. There is no one-size-fits-all answer for the questions you are asking. There is also no 'autistic' way to pray as opposed to some 'non-autistic' way. Autism is complex and we need to be careful about generalisations. It's also important to remember that we don't learn about Jesus just from imagining how he might have felt - He is present in all of us and He knows how to introduce Himself to every person in the way we understand. One of the kindest and most compassionate friends I have is a severely autistic woman with no speech, and she has very strong faith in Jesus. In fact sometimes she reminds me more than a little of St Therese.

My own experience with ASD has been that it has taught me how very easy it is to make mistakes in judgment about people, so it is better to remember how much I don't know about them and to respect that. I think this helps me to be more respectful than I would otherwise be, and it helps me with developing humility. I think that many non-autistic people would also benefit from doing this; they don't have perfect insight into other people's thoughts and feelings either. No one has. There are many things that get in the way of that, and the biggest is the fact that we are not God - only God completely knows another person. No matter what degree of social awareness you have, no matter what cognitive difficulties, you are still capable of fulfilling "the last and greatest commandment" and ultimately that's all that matters. Christianity isn't an intellectual club that you need a certain brain to be part of and understand. It is also about far more than feelings - St Paul writes about having feelings too deep for words, which the Holy Spirit then expresses for us. Many people have problems with identifying emotion, for a variety of different reasons, but that is no obstacle: prayer isn't some sort of psychological test.

Edited by beatitude

It's also important to remember that we don't learn about Jesus just from imagining how he might have felt - He is present in all of us and He knows how to introduce Himself to every person in the way we understand. 

Christianity isn't an intellectual club that you need a certain brain to be part of and understand. It is also about far more than feelings - St Paul writes about having feelings too deep for words, which the Holy Spirit then expresses for us. Many people have problems with identifying emotion, for a variety of different reasons, but that is no obstacle: prayer isn't some sort of psychological test.

Excellent reminder.

Juliana of Norwich said something about God giving each of us a weakness of some sort, which served both to help us to be humble, but also endeared us in a special way to God. The things I might most wish I didn't struggle with are things that have special claim on God's mercy and love; Asperger's is not something that "went wrong" for me, and it certainly isn't able to separate me from God. If He is satisfied, I am satisfied. He knows better than I do how to have a relationship with me; I don't have to worry that some physical problem will interfere.

Thy Geekdom Come

My own experience with ASD has been that it has taught me how very easy it is to make mistakes in judgment about people, so it is better to remember how much I don't know about them and to respect that. I think this helps me to be more respectful than I would otherwise be, and it helps me with developing humility.

I can relate to that.

brandelynmarie

Excellent reminder.

Juliana of Norwich said something about God giving each of us a weakness of some sort, which served both to help us to be humble, but also endeared us in a special way to God. The things I might most wish I didn't struggle with are things that have special claim on God's mercy and love; Asperger's is not something that "went wrong" for me, and it certainly isn't able to separate me from God. If He is satisfied, I am satisfied. He knows better than I do how to have a relationship with me; I don't have to worry that some physical problem will interfere.

Omgoodness, that's beautiful! I have things that I struggle with...just, thank you :blush:

:secret: I'm printing this out to remind me

I think if you look hard enough you can put anyone on the spectrum

definitely 

anybody

Thy Geekdom Come

I think if you look hard enough you can put anyone on the spectrum

definitely 

anybody

This may well be true. It's an interesting comment. I'm pretty certain I'm on it. My list of symptoms that fit the DSM-V is around 75+ now. Yet most people in regular interaction with me won't notice anything is odd, unless we hit on one of my special topics or if I open up around them and don't shut up or if I find a tangent or make a bad joke. I think a large part of that is that my parents taught me good manners, so I say please and thank you, respond to small talk (even if I don't see the point of it), smile at people (which is uncomfortable), etc. I wonder how many others would fit perfectly on the spectrum but go unnoticed because they don't remind anyone of Rain Man.

Edited by Raphael

ithinkjesusiscool

So a neurotypical and an aspie went to see a saintly Priest. After seeing the Priest they both went to the chapel and knelt saying: God, help...
I hope you get the point

This may well be true. It's an interesting comment. I'm pretty certain I'm on it. My list of symptoms that fit the DSM-V is around 75+ now. Yet most people in regular interaction with me won't notice anything is odd, unless we hit on one of my special topics or if I open up around them and don't shut up or if I find a tangent or make a bad joke. I think a large part of that is that my parents taught me good manners, so I say please and thank you, respond to small talk (even if I don't see the point of it), smile at people (which is uncomfortable), etc. I wonder how many others would fit perfectly on the spectrum but go unnoticed because they don't remind anyone of Rain Man.

There are a lot of stereotypes associated with ASD that do prevent at least high-functioning sufferers from proper diagnosis as well as the opposite problem of having people without ASD labelled as such because they fit a stereotype. People with ASD aren't just super-smart but awkward in a charming way like you see on TV.

Another issue is parental denial - my sister is a teacher and when she was training she was in a school for ASD kids and she said so many parents simply refused to see that their child had a problem and so failed to get them the necessary help. 

It has been suggested that I am on the spectrum - I had a mildly amusing incident when I acted as the first test subject for a friend's research and he very awkwardly asked me if I was autistic because I scored the way he expected someone on the spectrum to. I personally choose to ignore my own field and just get on with life because if I am, I can't say it affects my life too drastically (bad psychologist....). 

ithinkjesusiscool

If you google autism and religion you will find something interesting. You will find articles about autism and atheism.
Is it really true that autistic people are more prone to be atheists? I have actually heard the opposite being argued.
Thomas Aquinas, who may have had aspergers, wrote his beautiful texts about God, eg quinqae viae.

I forgot one big symptom: I'm incredibly technical. I'm like Marlin on Finding Nemo, when he tries to tell a joke. It takes me forever to tell a story because I have to be precise. I interrupt myself to go back and correct things that I'd said, to be more clear.

I'm like that too.. even on social media! lol. I'm always deleting, editing things as I type