An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rules For The Scrupulous Person

Nihil Obstat

Nihil Obstat

From a short essay on Scrupulosity, which can be found on the website of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church, established by the FSSP.

http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/Scrupulosity_7.15_.12_.pdf

Rules for the Scrupulous Person to Follow 

1. Do not repeat a sin in confession when it has been told in a previous confession even if you doubt 

it was told, or doubt it was told in a sufficiently adequate and complete way. 

2. Do not tell doubtful sins in confession, only clear and certain ones. 

3. Do not repeat your penance after confession, or any of the words of your penance, on the score 

that you were distracted or may not have said the words properly. 

4. Do not worry about breaking your fast before receiving our Lord in Holy Communion unless you 

actually put food and drink in your mouth and swallow it in the same way you do when you eat a 

meal. 

5. Do not hesitate to look at any crucifix or statue in church, at home, or anywhere else, for fear that 

you receive bad thoughts in your mind or imagination. If such thoughts come they are not sinful at 

all. 

6. Do not consider yourself guilty of bad thoughts, desires or feelings unless you can honestly swear 

under oath before the all-truthful God that you remember clearly and certainly consenting to them. 

7. Do not disobey your confessor when he tells you never to make another general confession of past 

sins already confessed. 

8. Act on the belief that whenever you are in doubt as to whether or not you are obliged to do or not 

to do something; you can take it as certain that you are not obliged. 

9. If, before you perform or omit an act, you are doubtful whether or not it is sinful for you, you shall 

assume as certain that it is not sinful and shall proceed to act without any dread of sin whatever. 

10. You shall put your total trust in Jesus Christ knowing that He loves you as only God can love, and 

that He has no intention of letting you lose your soul. 

11. Remember: feelings, impulses and ideas are neither acts of the will nor accomplished facts. 

12. Remember: temptations are not sins. Even Jesus was tempted by the Devil and never sinned. 

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I often refer to this list, I've found it immensely helpful. In fact, it is often part of my examination of conscience.

PhuturePriest

I can't really say I've had impure thoughts when looking at the Crucifix. However, I do often find myself marveling at how unnaturally buff Jesus' chest always is.

Nihil Obstat

I can't really say I've had impure thoughts when looking at the Crucifix. However, I do often find myself marveling at how unnaturally buff Jesus' chest always is.

From what I understand, it is not unheard of for a scrupulous person, when looking at a sacred image, to have involuntary blasphemous thoughts. At times this can be a sign of a demonic influence, although I would imagine that more commonly it is related to some form of obsessive compulsive tendency.

PhuturePriest

From what I understand, it is not unheard of for a scrupulous person, when looking at a sacred image, to have involuntary blasphemous thoughts. At times this can be a sign of a demonic influence, although I would imagine that more commonly it is related to some form of obsessive compulsive tendency.

I would say it's more due to the fact that every Crucifix has a buff Jesus with a six pack.

Basilisa Marie

Reading through this list makes me feel 

1) So sad for anyone who struggles with serious scrupulosity

2) WOW I am not nearly holy enough. 

But seriously, prayers for all who struggle with scrupulosity. Seems like a particularly nasty monkey on your back. 

What makes you say that?

I thought that my fixation was normal and right. Reading this list makes me realize than it is unhealthy. I ways thought it was right and called for to constantly bring stuff to confession over and over again.

Basilisa Marie

If you're committing the same sins over and over again, you should confess it.  You don't confess a particular sin multiple times.   

Like, if I cheat on tests, I confess that.  But I don't confess cheating on last tuesday's test again.  Something like that.  

Nihil Obstat

Reading through this list makes me feel 

1) So sad for anyone who struggles with serious scrupulosity

2) WOW I am not nearly holy enough. 

But seriously, prayers for all who struggle with scrupulosity. Seems like a particularly nasty monkey on your back. 

Agreed. I am grateful that I do not suffer from scrupulosity.

I thought that my fixation was normal and right. Reading this list makes me realize than it is unhealthy. I ways thought it was right and called for to constantly bring stuff to confession over and over again.

You might benefit from reading that whole article then. :)