An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Slap Floor

MIKolbe

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1345428052' post='2470384']
i like all food... that's a bit of my problem. lol raw fruit, veg...fish, chicken...all the good stuff....

but then I also like the bad stuff. lol

so..no bad stuff, and portion control has helped alot.... that and 150 oz. of water a day. and only one cup of coffee. lol...and MAYBE a diet Dr. Pepper every 3rd day...

the dr. i am seeing says i HAVE TO eat breakfast. I have never been a breakfast guy. ever. He pretty told me 'so what, eat breakfast everyday'. He said to eat smaller meals, and feel free to have a SMALL snack in between meals... carrots, granola, fruit, w/e. And then no eating after 7:30pm. That is the most difficult. I have definitely notice my habit of eating. come 8-9 at night, i am not hungry (per se), but i want to eat. It is still really difficult. I suppose i get a bit 'agitated' during that time too... so i've been told. :|
[/quote]

All that sounds like the way I am (except the doctor thing, my health efforts are self-imposed). I do allow myself to eat after 7:30 but it can't be a lot and I try really hard to make sure it's not junk (I'll allow myself carrots, a piece of coagulated milk, or some fruit--if I'm going to eat later I make it healthy most of the time). Breakfast has been the big thing, though, and increasing my water intake.

I bought myself a composition notebook and began tracking my workouts and food intake. I don't mark how many half cups of beans I ate or anything, but I write the date in the margins and then in one column I'll list how many reps of what exercise I did or how long I ran for, and then beside it I will write what I ate for breakfast (1 pb banana, 10 oz water) and so on. I've found that even though I'm not really hungry at breakfast if I eat that little bit anyway I'm not as famished at lunch and less likely to eat more than I should. It really helps with the accountability. So, if I eat brownies two days in a row on the weekend and see it staring at me in black and white I'm more motivated to not eat croutons the rest of the week.

I also have a bad habit of (especially if we eat out) feeling guilty about not finishing food so I will force myself to eat every bite (to the point of being over full) because I don't want to waste it. And I'm not going to put 2 bites of potatoes and chicken in the fridge for later. It's silly. Writing it down has helped me be more conscious of doing that, and even though I'm not writing down ounces or cups worth of food, I'm more conscious that I can get a smaller serving, or if we're eating out just not eat the potatoes because the piece of chicken and veggies are plenty enough to satisfy my appetite (or the burger and skip the fries, etc.).

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1345427162' post='2470374']
The one we got was a Gold's Gym machine from WalMart (about 2 years ago). It cost us about $500 (which is double what I wanted to pay, but Matt thought the bigger one would be better so he could use it, too. he doesn't use it often, but he has the option). I know you hate Walmart but there are comparable options out there, even if you have to save up for a few months (which is what I think we did... I can't even remember). Target sells them, too (WalMart is the only option here unless I want to drive an hour out of my way), so their website might be worth looking into. I bet you could even find one with decent reviews at a reasonable price on Amazon if you have Prime and can get the free shipping (use the phatmass link and help dust in the process).

Don't mind me, I probably sound pushy but I'm just really fond of my elliptical because I hate running and it's a way to run without actually running. Also, I hate working out in front of other people so with one at home I don't have to go to a gym or anything. :|
[/quote]

oh, i am so with you about working out in front of other people - which is why i'd like one.

which brand do you have?

MIKolbe, I hate working out and am totally with you. Just wanted to say good for you and keep it up. It's really special when dads commit to living healthier for their families. You want to be around as long as you can for those lil' ones! :)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1345429890' post='2470407']
oh, i am so with you about working out in front of other people - which is why i'd like one.

which brand do you have?
[/quote]

Gold's Gym. I really like it. It did come with a part that had a flaw in it, but we called the company and they sent a replacement part within a week or so. I've had it over 2 years now and haven't had any problems with it.

Well, I don't like the gym at all, so that's right out.

Right now the weather is the best it ever gets in MN, just glorious. ;) So I try to do my working out outside on my bicycle as much as I can stand it. If I can ignore the fact than I'm out of breath, in pain, and all the general discomfort that comes with being an overweight guy on a bicycle (people stare and point, no really, they do) then it's rather enjoyable. :)

That just made it sound horrible. Well, it is. And it isn't. At the same time.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1345430514' post='2470413']
That just made it sound horrible. Well, it is. And it isn't. At the same time.
[/quote]

Isn't all exercise that way? lol Seriously, though, I will be on my elliptical for 3 minutes and think "Dear God, am I almost done yet?" look at the timer and feel like I'm going to keel over. Hopping on the machine the day after a weight routine when I'm sore is even worse. My saving grace is a good beat to run to and I can pound it out 4 minutes at a time. "This song is almost done, what's the next one? Good song, I can run to this." I'll have 15, 20, 30, or 40 done in no time as long as I've got music to keep me motivated.

IcePrincessKRS

PS--15 minutes on an elliptical burns roughly the same number of calories as a 2 mile walk. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Calories Schmalories, I eat whatever i want as much as i want and never gain weight.

*ducks the tomatoes*

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1345426321' post='2470364']
i keep trying to find an elliptical, but they're really expensive around here (even used). :( i'd really like one too.
[/quote]My wife and I bought an elliptical. We (well me) did a lot of research to get the most we could for the least amount of money. Check out [url="http://www.treadmilldocctor.com"]www.treadmilldocctor.com[/url] He doesn't have a lot good to say about the machines in our price range, but at least you can avoid the really horrible ones. The ones the say not to get, DON'T GET. We actually checked out more than two dozend brands and models. We went to all the stores and used sports equipemnt places, garage sales, and checked out the machines. We ended up buying a 2 year old Gold's Gym one fro $200 that was like brand new from Craig's list after about two weeks of checking ads.. Been using it for 6 weeks now, and no major problems. I have foot and knee pain under normal conditions but have no significant problems with the elliptical.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1345429930' post='2470408']
MIKolbe, I hate working out and am totally with you. Just wanted to say good for you and keep it up. It's really special when dads commit to living healthier for their families. You want to be around as long as you can for those lil' ones! :)
[/quote]

Yes, I need to give up smoking next.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1345467236' post='2470552']
My wife and I bought an elliptical. We (well me) did a lot of research to get the most we could for the least amount of money. Check out [url="http://www.treadmilldocctor.com"]www.treadmilldoctor.com[/url] He doesn't have a lot good to say about the machines in our price range, but at least you can avoid the really horrible ones. The ones the say not to get, DON'T GET. We actually checked out more than two dozend brands and models. We went to all the stores and used sports equipemnt places, garage sales, and checked out the machines. We ended up buying a 2 year old Gold's Gym one fro $200 that was like brand new from Craig's list after about two weeks of checking ads.. Been using it for 6 weeks now, and no major problems. I have foot and knee pain under normal conditions but have no significant problems with the elliptical.
[/quote]

Mine made their cut. I loved it anyway, but now I feel even better about that decision. haha

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1345472412' post='2470585']
Mine made their cut. I loved it anyway, but now I feel even better about that decision. haha
[/quote]We probably have the same one. From what I've seen available, I'm very happy for $200.

I don't do the Rosary thing anymore, but I would think saying a rosary on the Sorrowful Mysteries would be appropriate and motivational.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1345473988' post='2470593']
We probably have the same one. From what I've seen available, I'm very happy for $200.

I don't do the Rosary thing anymore, but I would think saying a rosary on the Sorrowful Mysteries would be appropriate and motivational.[/quote]

GG Stridetrainer 595. :)