An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Workout Thread

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Indoor softball.  Went 2 for 4 with an RBI and we only scored 2 runs.  Lost 2 to 17.  My out were impressive contact.  On D had two impressive plays, including a double play.  Played what we call quantum 2B.  You see in a small indoor facility everything but Catcher happens exponentially faster then it would on even a little league field.  Or adult moderate pitch outdoor softball.  Thus the jokingly new terms such as quantum 2B, quantum pitcher, quantum 1B, quantum LF and so on.  It's an adjustment that takes you out of your comfort zone no matter how much time you've spent on a diamond growing up.  But our D is catching on, well for us lol.  

• 2 weeks later...
southern california guy

I have been backsliding badly... Suddenly eating chips, burritos, drinking beer (only 1 or 2), not getting the cardio, and putting on weight.....

However I have gone ice skating twice, and my ankle and leg flexibility has improved dramatically after each time.  I think I will be back 100 percent in a month or so.  

But it is so hard to stick with a good diet and a healthier exercise plan.  I know I feel better, and have more energy when I am slimmer... but I sure like to eat.. and there are some other odd bonuses to eating more.  My endurance improves by leaps and bounds when I start emphasizing cardio, and I lose my belly -- but my muscular strength seems to go down.  And when I start eating more my endurance goes down a little as I gain weight, and I don't look so good -- but strength goes through the roof and I am suddenly the strongest guy in the gym.

I am 6' 2" and I was down to 195 for a little bit.  But now I am back up around 220 -- and suddenly I seem invincible in the gym.  I  remember struggling with 225 in the bench press about a month ago, but now I am shoulder pressing it for 2 sets of 8 and it is a total joke for bench press.  I have gotten into these modes before.. I got strong as hell, and people would ask me how I was getting so big, but I didn't like how I looked.  Back when I was going to Utah State (Almost 20 years ago) I started going to the gym with a couple of guys from my apartment complex.  And I really got into it for a little while.  I was squatting 515 for reps, deadlifting 605 for 2, going for the big 405 bench press, and using the full stack for 20 reps or more on every machine.  But my waist and pantaloons size seemed to be increasing more than anything else.... I was approaching 250 but I definitely did not have an aesthetic physique.  And I honestly did not feel that good at that weight -- and it wasn't just because my pantaloons were always so tight and uncomfortable to wear.. :sad:

But there is almost something addictive about being that strong and big,  No I have never taken steroids, but red meat will definitely make you strong.  Don't believe anyone who says otherwise.  They don't know what they are talking about.  But I think that I should try and eat a little healthier diet.  And I keep trying to convince myself that I don't really need to be that big or strong, but it is so much easier than trying to get lean and muscular -- and sticking to a good exercise plan.

Edited by southern california guy