54 replies to this topic

#1 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi

Has anyone communicated or discerned with this lovely community of Benedictines? 

http://www.tyburncon...home/index.html

:)

#2 maximillion

maximillion

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,527 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

I know the nuns a little as I used to do my individual retreats with them.

The community is young and vibrant and attracts vocations - the Sisters have made various foundations in the last few years.

#3 EmilyAnn

EmilyAnn

Narf.

• Church Militant
  • 3,427 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

A good friend of mine has discerned with them and is very good friends with the sisters (she's on PM actually, kg94). She always said wonderful things about them.

I did enquire with them and still have the materials they sent me, including their DVD, and if you wanted them I would be happy to pass them along. 

#4 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

A good friend of mine has discerned with them and is very good friends with the sisters (she's on PM actually, kg94). She always said wonderful things about them.

I did enquire with them and still have the materials they sent me, including their DVD, and if you wanted them I would be happy to pass them along. 

Yes, please EmilyAnn that would be wonderful! Is it okay if I send you a PM?  :)

#5 reminiscere

reminiscere

PM Peep

• Chummy Commoner
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Visited Tyburn last November. Beautiful chapel and community! Highly recommended. 

#6 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

They look lovely. I am hoping to make a retreat there. Not specifically for discernment, Just a simple initial retreat.

#7 coralieprincess

coralieprincess

PM Newbie

• n00b
  • 107 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

I visited them just two months ago! I stayed a week and had a lovely time. Very peaceful and beautiful. The nuns are so kind, and there is so much history in their London convent. I could imagine myself there, but God has made it very clear to me that I am a Dominican, not a Benedictine. :)

#8 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Okay, so here is the 20 million dollar question. Does anyone know if they are open to older enquirers? Y'know, just in case I might, possibly, maybe, theoretically be tempted? Just asking. Y'know, Purely out of curiosity.  :paperbag:  :pigsfly:

#9 coralieprincess

coralieprincess

PM Newbie

• n00b
  • 107 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that they are. :)

#10 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

*Squeak*. How sure. 

Not that I am getting happy, or excited or anything, Y'know.

#11 maximillion

maximillion

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,527 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think it is very worth contacting them and asking......

#12 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

I have responsibility for an infirm, older relative. So I do not know exactly when I will be free to enter. But it is good to know what might be possible... :)

#13 MaterMisericordiae

MaterMisericordiae

+ Visitation +

• Church Militant
  • 8,779 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Okay, so here is the 20 million dollar question. Does anyone know if they are open to older enquirers? Y'know, just in case I might, possibly, maybe, theoretically be tempted? Just asking. Y'know, Purely out of curiosity.  :paperbag:  :pigsfly:

Eligibility: The Tyburn Nuns consider vocations of all ages. If God calls, who are we to say He is wrong?

http://vocationopera...rn-convent.html

#14 EmilyAnn

EmilyAnn

Narf.

• Church Militant
  • 3,427 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yes, please EmilyAnn that would be wonderful! Is it okay if I send you a PM?   :)

Absolutely :)

#15 EmilyAnn

EmilyAnn

Narf.

• Church Militant
  • 3,427 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

Eligibility: The Tyburn Nuns consider vocations of all ages. If God calls, who are we to say He is wrong?

http://vocationopera...rn-convent.html

I just wanted to add that blog post was written by the sisters, with the help of my friend who I mentioned before (she and I co-write that blog) so it's solid info. :)

Edited by EmilyAnn, 07 April 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#16 Chiara Francesco

Chiara Francesco

PM Alien

• n00b
  • 530 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yes, they are!  I am past 49, shall we say!, and they definitely are!  A GREAT book to read is called "Tyburn Hill of Glory" written by the nuns on their foundress, Mother Mary of St. Peter/Marie Adele Garnier which I had but sold and I had read a few times!  It's at Amazon:  http://www.amazon.co...n hill of glory

I had a copy with a lot of black and white pictures.  It is the story of her life and the founding of Tyburn.  Definitely get it. 

#17 Lil'Nun

Lil'Nun

PM Peep

• n00b
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thank you all for your helpful posts. :)

I have a big smile on my face now. God willing I will go on retreat there in August and find out more.

You are all wonderful. :)

x

#18 curiousing

curiousing

PM Pham

• Chummy Commoner
  • 2,416 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Amen.

#19 Ex Tyburn Junior

Ex Tyburn Junior

Lurker

• n00b
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

I spent 5 1/2 years in the community in London and took temporary vows.I left at the end of that time. I am happy to discuss my time there, off the board or on the board, if you wish.

#20 Ex Tyburn Junior

Ex Tyburn Junior

Lurker

• n00b
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

PS Sorry that font was so tiny!

I agree that the principal vocation/charism of the Tyburn community - Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the exposed Blessed Sacrament - is beautiful.

My concern is that this vocation is no longer being faithfully lived by the congregation because of the rapid increase of new foundations which are maintained by only a few sisters.

There has been a truly astonishing number of departures of perpetually professed sisters from Tyburn in the last ten years, many of whom had been professed for more than 15 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users