An Old School Catholic Message Board

Urgent

Donna

Chastisement

Terrible, isn't it. I read about this on another forum, this legal battle has been going on for quite some time.

It's also interesting to know that the husband is now living with his partner, together they have children. So not only is he happy about killing his wife, but he's committing adulterly against her while she lies in hospital. Also, her will is still made out to him. Makes you wonder just why he wants to "end her suffering".

I suggest prayers not only for Terri, but her parents who were unable to get the Law to save her.

Edited by Chastisement

It's also interesting to know that the husband is now living with his partner, together they have children. So not only is he happy about killing his wife, but he's committing adulterly against her while she lies in hospital. Also, her will is still made out to him. Makes you wonder just why he wants to "end her suffering".

This answers my question, then, which was going to be: What possible motivation could her husband have for starving her to death? He claims it's to end her suffering, but has he or the court considered that slowly starving and dehydrating a person will only bring on much more, very intense suffering? If she is breathing on her own, then she is still alive; if she is still alive, then starving her will bring her more pain than allowing her to live. It's not about the suffering, it's about what he wants. And as for the court, it's not about her suffering there either; it's about the agenda the courts in the United States want to push forward: the murder of those who are viewed as "unproductive."

You know you need to be worried when:

- A judge will allow a young woman to be starved and dehydrated to death, despite the fact that she can breathe on her own.

- A judge will allow a man who has committed adultery against this young woman to be her caregiver and make such a heinous decision.

- A judge will not allow the parents, who cooperated with God to bring her into the world, to help decide on her care now.

- A judge will not even hear from the priest, but he'll hear from the husband who is committing adultery.

All of this thoroughly proves that the court is here looking out for its own interests, i.e. to decide when people live and die. Isn't that really what our courts do nowadays? They tell women they can murder their babies, they tell husbands they can murder their wives, they tell prisons they can murder their inmates. How long before we can legally murder the handicapped?

I think it's pretty obvious that Satan has conquered the courts of the U.S. May God have mercy on the justices and judges who have allowed it to happen.

A young woman in Florida is about to be euthenasia-ized by the will of her husband (who has also forbade a priest from giving her the last sacraments) while Florida Bishops have not intervened on her behalf.

Donna,

I live in the Tampa Bay area. This thing with Teri has been going on for years. We have prayed for her in many parishes. Bishop Lynch has spoken out repeatedly for her.

Why did you use this story as an opportunity to post that Florida Bishops have not done anything on her behalf when that isn't true?

Edited by jasJis

Why did you use this story as an opportunity to post that Florida Bishops have not done anything on her behalf when that isn't true?

Maybe Donna was misinformed. I'm sure she didn't intentionally mean to tell a falsehood about the Florida Bishops. But I do agree that people need to be sure what they're saying is accurate before they say it, especially when it's about other people and especially when it's about the Bishops.

Yes, jasJis, you are correct! Thank you for pointing that out. And I was misinformed. God bless the Floridians and Bishop Lynch!

They're praying 24 Glory Be's, each followed by "St. Therese of the Child Jesus, pray for us!" daily for Terri. But I'm sure any amount would help, y'all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH

Jeb Bush intervenes for Schindler-Schiavo

Asks for delay to investigate case of brain-disabled Florida woman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: August 26, 2003

1:37 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Flooded with 27,000 e-mails urging him to intervene, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has asked a judge to delay setting a date for removal of a feeding tube sustaining the life of a brain-disabled woman, Terri Schindler-Schiavo.

In a letter, Bush asked Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge George W. Greer yesterday to keep her alive until a court-appointed guardian can "independently investigate the circumstances of this case and provide the court with an unbiased view that considers the best interests of Mrs. Schiavo."

On Friday, the Florida Supreme Court refused to intervene in the case, clearing the way for a Sept. 11 hearing in which Greer would set a date for removal of the feeding tube.

Bush said, according to a copy of the letter obtained by WND, he normally would not write a judge concerning a pending legal proceeding but noted the 27,000 e-mails his office received "reflecting understandable concern for the well being" of Schindler-Schiavo. Earlier this month, WorldNetDaily publicized a petition drive launched on Schiavo's behalf, including Bush's e-mail address.

"This case represents the disturbing result of a severe family disagreement in extremely trying circumstances," Bush said. "Emotions are high, accusations abound, and at the heart of this public and private maelstrom is a young woman incapable of speaking for herself."

As WorldNetDaily reported, Terri's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler of Gulf Port, Fla., have been locked in a decade-long legal battle with their son-in-law over the care and custody of their daughter, who suffered massive brain damage when she collapsed at her home 13 years ago under unexplained circumstances at the age of 26.

The bitter dispute over Terri's lack of care became a major euthanasia battle five years ago when her husband Michael Schiavo petitioned the court for permission to have her feeding tube removed, claiming she is in a persistent vegetative state and would not want to be kept alive "artificially." The Schindlers and a number of doctors and therapists believe she could be rehabilitated, but the courts have consistently sided with Schiavo and his lawyer, right-to-die advocate George Felos.

Schindler-Schiavo was hospitalized Sunday for the second time in less than two weeks, CNSNews.com reported yesterday.

"The parents don't know what's going on, but she appears to be in critical condition," family spokeswoman Pamela Hennessy told the news service. "It appears to be pretty serious."

This entire story is sadder then most people think.

Teri isn't in a state of non-responsive comatose. Her eyes are open. She follows movement. Sometimes she responds to outside stimulus such as visitors.

Her husband has prevented her parents from obtaining different medical treatments for her for many years.

Her husband has prevented her parents from visiting.

Her husband has prevented normal medical treatment for years.

The news media repeatedly mis-states her condition. Teri isn't on life support. The only "aritifical" means of keeping her alive is a feeding tube. She's not brain dead and her heart and lungs operate on her own accord. She is not paralyzed, but her movements are extremely limited.

Teri was awarded a large cash settlement so her medical care is paid for. She can live outside a hospital with care. Her parents are willing to provide their daughter this care in their home.

It won't cost Teri's husband a single penny. He doesn't have to care for her. He has had a "girlfriend" for years but won't divorce his wife, Teri.

Why would a husband want his severely ill wife to die when he doesn't have to pay for her, take care of her, and she has people who love her who are willing to assume all responsiblity?

If something happened to her husband - then Teri would be under the gaurdianship of her parents.

We can only pray.

Her husband is a dirt bag.

-ironmonk

I really don't think it's appropriate to pray for something to happen to her husband, but to pray for his conversion. I really think it's a misuse of prayer to wish someone ill when Jesus tells us to love our enemies. I doubt He wants to hear us asking Him to smite down this guy we don't even know.

That said, I do hope something happens to save this young woman's life, but I don't want this man to die in the state of sin he's in, either.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

TampaBayOnline 9/11/03 (www.tbo.com)

The possible beginning of the end of Terri Schiavo's life has once again been put on hold.

George Felos, the attorney for Terri’s husband Michael Schiavo, came to court in Clearwater without his client, and asked Circuit Judge George Greer to remove Terri's artificial feeding tube at 5 p.m. Thursday.

Instead, Greer delayed his decision until next week to review claims made by two speech therapists who say that Terri may be able to swallow food on her own without a feeding tube. More on Terri

To read past stories on the case, click here.

Felos thinks Terri's parents, the Schindlers, are delaying the inevitable.

"Until this case ends, there will always be pending issue," said Felos. "There will always be a new petition. There will always be some charge, allegation, claim, and I think the judge realizes that if we wait for everything to be settled, this case will never be over."

Terri has been in what some doctors call a persistent vegetative state for more than a decade. She remains in a Pinellas Park hospice. Michael Schiavo claims she wouldn’t want to live like this.

The Schindlers came to court to convince Greer that there is hope for Terri to recover, in the wake of several recent rulings in favor of Terri's husband. Although he's happy Terri gets to live another day, Terri's father is still angry.

Protestors walked along the courthouse steps.

"They're trying to kill her," said Bob Schindler. "I call it murder because it is murder. Schiavo started it and the courts are finishing it."

Greer will take the next week to decide if more testimony is needed in the case or if he believes it's time for Terri to be taken off the feeding tube that's been keeping her alive for the past 13 years. Doctors say that if Terri's feedings are discontinued, it would take 10-14 days for her to pass away.

The case is striking a chord with some religious groups. About 20 protestors walked along the courthouse steps during Thursday’s hearing. They came in support of Terri's parents. They feel Terri, who is Catholic, would not give up her right to life.