An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marian Consecration

Kylie Spinelli

Kylie Spinelli

So I finally am going to do it! I will be starting the Morning Glory Marian Consecration on the 22nd of April, so I will end on the feast of Mary, Help of Christians. 

I stumbled upon the "Marian Consecration Chain" today and I read that it is connected with the DeMomfort consecration. What is the symbolism of it? Can you wear it if you used a different consecration method?

Thank you and God bless!

~Kylie

Spem in alium

Wonderful! I made a consecration to Jesus through Mary (through the way of De Montfort) at the end of last year. It was such a beautiful experience.

I was consecrated during Mass and when I made my consecration I received a Miraculous Medal that was blessed by the priest and which I wear daily. I'm not sure if that is or is not similar to the chain of which you speak, but to me it sounds like it could relate. I'm sure someone of more knowledge can answer your questions better.

Very best of wishes as you begin the process of consecration.

To Jesus Through Mary

I am renewing my consecration. I also am using Morning Glory! I LOVE it so far (but only on day 4 today...) I am going to finish on Our Lady of Lujan. (May 8th)

Anyway, if memory serves me correctly the chain is a sign of our slavery of love to Mary, holy bondage. 

So I finally am going to do it! I will be starting the Morning Glory Marian Consecration on the 22nd of April, so I will end on the feast of Mary, Help of Christians. 

I stumbled upon the "Marian Consecration Chain" today and I read that it is connected with the DeMomfort consecration. What is the symbolism of it? Can you wear it if you used a different consecration method?

Thank you and God bless!

~Kylie

I met Fr. Gaitley (writer of the Morning Glory book) and heard him speak.  He's an excellent speaker.  I'll be finishing that consecration tomorrow, I'm renewing mine for the 2nd time.  

As for the consecration chain, I don't see why not.  It's not a sacramental (like a scapular, at least I'm pretty sure it's not) so I'm pretty sure it's not tied to that specific consecration.  As for the symbolism, I recall De Monfort talking of his consecration as "slavery to Mary", so I think that is what it is meant to symbolize.  If I'm wrong someone please correct me.  

And congratulations! I did the De Monfort consecration last fall (not really knowing what I was doing).  It was a tremendous blessing. I found this consecration to be a really good one for learning more about what consecration is though.  I think after this I'll switch between it and the De Monfort method each year for renewing my consecration.     

Kylie Spinelli

I met Fr. Gaitley (writer of the Morning Glory book) and heard him speak.  He's an excellent speaker.  I'll be finishing that consecration tomorrow, I'm renewing mine for the 2nd time.  

As for the consecration chain, I don't see why not.  It's not a sacramental (like a scapular, at least I'm pretty sure it's not) so I'm pretty sure it's not tied to that specific consecration.  As for the symbolism, I recall De Monfort talking of his consecration as "slavery to Mary", so I think that is what it is meant to symbolize.  If I'm wrong someone please correct me.  

And congratulations! I did the De Monfort consecration last fall (not really knowing what I was doing).  It was a tremendous blessing. I found this consecration to be a really good one for learning more about what consecration is though.  I think after this I'll switch between it and the De Monfort method each year for renewing my consecration.     

Awesome! Yeah I didn't know if you could do both because I've heard soo much praise for the DeMontford but my friend did the Morning Glory and he loved it... So maybe I'll do the Morning Glory this time and next year do DeMontford? LOL

Thanks and God bless!!

OnlySunshine

I made my very first Marian Consecration on December 8th, 2009.  I was originally going to use deMontfort's formula but I found him rather confusing and "over my head."  I researched other methods and found St. Maximilian Kolbe's prayer of consecration.  It was much easier and more meaningful for me.  I did it on my own by praying the prayer in front of the statue of Mary at my Church and signing my name to the piece of paper with the prayer.  I obtained a little silvertone Miraculous Medal and have been wearing it ever since.  I just recently "upgraded" to a sterling silver medal which I had blessed by my pastor.  It reminds me that Our Lady is always praying for me and that I am striving to live my life like hers to conform myself more closely to her Son.  I also renew the Consecration every year but I have been doing it on May 31st instead since I LOVE the Feast of the Visitation.  I might not be able to do it on that date though since I'm without my own car and can't get to Church during the week.  :(

My friend from CRHP had a beautiful ring with the symbolic chain on it that she obtained from the website of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  I asked her where she got it and she gave me her old one which I had sized but I haven't worn it regularly.  I love my Medal more.  However, I still have the ring and intend to get it blessed soon and start wearing it.

I was trying to add the link where the ring can be purchased but the website is not working right now.  If it starts working again, I'll post the link.  :)

MarysLittleFlower

yay that's great! :D

I made my Total Consecration according to the method of De Montfort on June 27th 2009. It's an amazing devotion and such a blessing, and I absolutely recommend it!! :)

I love the True Devotion book, it's so beautiful. I also have the Morning Glory book and it's wonderful!! I haven't finished it yet though. I'm hoping to learn about St Maximilian Kolbe more in the future. There's also a book called "My Ideal" which is similar too :) I find that they all are about the Consecration but make a different emphasis! seems like for St Louis de Montfort it's growth in holiness, for St Maximilian Kolbe he also talks about bringing other souls to Jesus and Mary, etc. (I haven't studied this enough though).  

Regarding the "little chains": this is based on the De Montfort method! Since Morning Glory talks about him too, and since the chains symbolize consecration, I don't see why not :) the idea is basically that you stop being a slave to sin and become a 'slave of love' to Jesus and Mary (to Jesus through Mary, to be very accurate, if anyone is reading this without knowing about this devotion). This is a different sort of "slavery" from anything else as it's voluntary and loving, and it just means that you belong completely to Jesus and Mary and give yourself entirely  :) True Devotion describes it way better than I can!

God bless :)

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

let_go_let_God

I made mine on March 25, 2012. When I did mine I began wearing a silver chain bracelet on my wrist. It was a wonderful experience for me as well.

God bless-

LGLG