An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church/saint Teaching And Modesty

MarysLittleFlower

Basilisa Marie

Standards of Modesty in Dress
Imprimatur dated Sept. 24, 1956
"A dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat; which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows; and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees. Furthermore, dresses of transparent materials are improper."
The Cardinal Vicar of Pius XII

Sorry ladies... no beach fun for you!

You're not being helpful. 

Just pointing out that it's not a morally binding teaching. I don't have to confess wearing a bathing suit.

Look, if a woman wants to wear something revealing on the beach, I really don't mind, by all means go do it! All I'm saying is Catholicism does not operate as you describe it. You can't just disregard a directive from the Pope because it's not Ex Cathedra, otherwise we could scrap the entire Second Vatican Council, which some say might not be a bad idea! The general Magisterium has to be obeyed, even if it goes against your personal preference.

But that said, I suppose if a man is tempted by the revealing bathing suit of a woman a beach, then she bears no part in his sin? Or has she committed sin as well?

"One cannot sufficiently deplore the blindness of so many women of every age and condition; made foolish by desire to please, they do not see to what a degree the in decency of their clothing shocks every honest man, and offends God. Most of them would formerly have blushed for those toilettes as for a grave fault against Christian modesty; now it does not suffice for them to exhibit them on the public thoroughfares; they do not fear to cross the threshold of the churches, to assist at the Holy sacrifice of the Mass, and even to bear the seducing food of shameful passions to the Eucharistic Table where one receives the heavenly Author of purity. And We speak not of those exotic and barbarous dances recently imported into fashionable circles, one more shocking than the other; one cannot imagine anything more suitable for banishing all the remains of modesty."

Pope Benedict XV

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xv/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xv_enc_06011921_sacra-propediem_en.html

Just curious, were there standards of modesty for men in 1956?

Ummm of course not! Only shameful sinful women have to worry about what they wear, silly!

PhuturePriest

"One cannot sufficiently deplore the blindness of so many women of every age and condition; made foolish by desire to please, they do not see to what a degree the in decency of their clothing shocks every honest man, and offends God. Most of them would formerly have blushed for those toilettes as for a grave fault against Christian modesty; now it does not suffice for them to exhibit them on the public thoroughfares; they do not fear to cross the threshold of the churches, to assist at the Holy sacrifice of the Mass, and even to bear the seducing food of shameful passions to the Eucharistic Table where one receives the heavenly Author of purity. And We speak not of those exotic and barbarous dances recently imported into fashionable circles, one more shocking than the other; one cannot imagine anything more suitable for banishing all the remains of modesty."

Pope Benedict XV

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xv/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xv_enc_06011921_sacra-propediem_en.html

I agree with all of this. That being said, this was not an infallible statement, it was an opinion that in my opinion is spot-on. None of this implies that bathing suits are evil, however. I'm not one for bikinis and I'll argue that women shouldn't wear them since they are practically panties and a bra. But none of the bathing suits shown on this thread ever resembled a bikini or any of the like.

I don't swim in a dress. :|

And neither do I. Modesty at church or work is different from modesty at the beach. Alot of modesty is situational.

And neither do I. Modesty at church or work is different from modesty at the beach. Alot of modesty is situational.

:o so you're a relative-ist?! :o so shocking!

PhuturePriest

Ummm of course not! Only shameful sinful women have to worry about what they wear, silly!

If I were Pope, I would write an encyclical that denounced hanging pants that exposed your underwear and male speedos.

mysisterisalittlesister

I don't think I can contribute to this discussion, because I'm 14 and not very knowledgable on the topic of church documents regarding modesty :p

buuuut….

I don't see anything wrong with the swimsuits that the171 posted. I think they're cool :) Personally though, I like simple sport swimsuits and high necks because I'm always mortally terrified that my swimsuit neckline will fall down (it's happened before, and I don't want it to happen again  :pinch: )

carry on! :popcorn:

I'm just giving some historical perspective, the reality is no one cares about what the Pope or anyone else says for that matter. We're free to do as we please, it's time to celebrate the human body and not veil it up.

I'm just giving some historical perspective, the reality is no one cares about what the Pope or anyone else says for that matter. We're free to do as we please, it's time to celebrate the human body and not veil it up.

:doh:

It's what you get for making Adam eat the apple

Basilisa Marie

Yep.  That's totally it.  :|

PhuturePriest

I'm almost certain it's known as "Adam's Sin". This is because Adam was charged with guarding the garden, and he let Satan in, tempt Eve, and then joined in on her sin. We can go with theology, or we can just blame it on Eve. Either or.