An Old School Catholic Message Board

It's Boring In Here. Let's Shake It Up.

Gabriela

I'm nervous that if/when I ask for papers I might be denied. What are some reasons why would they say "no" to someone asking for papers? 

How can I better trust God and stop fearing this?

33645_438607077581_5919628_n.jpg

TheresaThoma

I *think* that in a religious institute one HAS to ask for an application. It can't be given to them. There is the whole piece of a potential candidate having to freely accept their vocation without any outside "pressures".

I'm not 100% sure but my primary source on this is really reliable so I'm pretty certain of this.

ToJesusMyHeart

Sister told me that "young women are to formally request for permission to apply when they feel called here."

Guest Allie

I'm nervous that if/when I ask for papers I might be denied. What are some reasons why would they say "no" to someone asking for papers? 

How can I better trust God and stop fearing this?

I know someone who was asked to look at a few other communities before they would give her papers because they felt she hadn't seen what else was out there.  She is now discerning with one of the communities they suggested she check out,  SO I guess it's all good. (which doesn't make us any less anxious at times)

Ok, it was exciting for about 5 minutes. Now it's boring again. Let's try something else.

I have an extended (15-page), very detailed account of a discernment experience from beginning to end. It's the discernment of a single decision (not to enter religious life, something smaller). Would those discerning be interested in reading this account to see how one person discerned a major decision? It could potentially lead to lots of discussion. (The discerner made a bunch of "mistakes".)

If you would like to read it, please post here. If not, please also post here.

(Also, if you know how I would go about posting something that is 15 pages long, please let me know! I think these boxes have character limits, don't they?)

Meh. Someone needs to enter.

NOW.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!

Good, we'll put you in as the second plant to be transplanted in the new season. 

I think Hopeful Bride will get to transplant first.   (CONGRATULATIONS!)

Second Transplant? please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2Pn6e_zT4

Sister Marie

I *think* that in a religious institute one HAS to ask for an application. It can't be given to them. There is the whole piece of a potential candidate having to freely accept their vocation without any outside "pressures".

I'm not 100% sure but my primary source on this is really reliable so I'm pretty certain of this.

You are completely correct about the applicant having to "prove", for lack of a better word, their freedom in making the decision to apply.  Different communities insure that in different ways.  Other than reading what you all say on this website, I didn't realize that, in other communities, asking for an application was a really big moment.  I remember signing something, and then reaffirming it at my reception, that stated that my decision was freely made. 

However, during my time of discernment before entering, the application was more of a mutual process of discernment and it was on the table, so to speak, before I "asked" for the application.  I don't know if that is different from some other communities or if that is the way it normally occurs even if the focus is on the asking for the application. 

I'd be interested to know! :)

domenica_therese

It depends a lot on how communicative the person is with the vocations director. Some people drop hints here and there -- or what they think are hints -- and then have a moment where they ask, and it's kind of unknown what the response will be. With other people there's such a relationship built up, and such a stated interest in the community, that the fact that the request is going to happen is pretty obvious. I think it's best to express some sort of intent to request papers prior to coming, so that hopes aren't built up too much and crushed. Like, "do you think I could potentially..."

In some communities -- I don't know how typical this is -- you talk to the Vocation Director, then the Novice Mistress, and then Mother. So one could potentially get a thumbs up from the VD to talk to the others, but then somewhere on the interview chain the community discerns that you aren't called there.

I think the community would say no to a person for the same reason a person might say no to a community: just feeling that it's not right. I don't think it's always necessarily quantifiable. Health, psychological, debt, and other burdens are the more quantifiable problems. I've heard one sister say that the main thing they are looking for is freedom.