An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hebrew Catholics

MC Just

This Church of Rome held "primacy" or predominance before St. Ignatius died in 109. That is just 79 years after Yeshua rose. Peter and Paul where both alive during this man's life and so the Church of Rome formed and existed in the later first century formed by the contemporaries of those that walked with Yeshua and the Twelve (in fact we believe this fact was prophesied by Zechariah in chapter 5). Therefore we firmly believe the early fathers support that the Roman Catholic Church is the one founded by Peter as well as its existence, which predates the third century, and Constantine.

Another charge that is levied is if the Roman Catholic Church is kosher and our pope is the true lead shepherd while we are in Diaspora (before Yeshua returns to bring us home) then why doesn't our Church keep the Halacha Law (the Laws given in Torah)? Actually, we believe she does, at least the Law bound upon the Goyim. Thus this proves to us her right to rule because according to Act.15 she was not bound by all seven laws but only three and yet the Holy Roman Catholic Church keeps all seven (except for one-half law she states is bound upon only those in Jewish communities see Council of Florence). So our Church acquired the remaining Halacha laws binding upon the Goyim after she began to rule from Rome and not before and this in fact is prophecy:

"But this is the Covenant which I will make with the House of Israel AFTER those days, says HaShem: I will put My Law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their G-d, and they shall be My people." Jer.31.33

Now we feel Yeshua also embodied these attributes for He lived the life we should live and through the cross, dying for us while we were still sinners, He showed us the direction of true love, the love of G-d. Yeshua also confirmed the position of the shepherds when he said:

"The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice." Matt.23.1-3

So believe that Yeshua Himself saw and accepted the authority of the scribes and Pharisees even though He is HaMoshiach (Shiloh, to Whom the true scepter belongs). Why would He do this? We feel this is because He knew what few realize, that Israel needs a physical shepherd, even though HaShem is the true Shepherd. This we see is what Moshe understood and why he asked for one. And like HaShem Who had planned for Y'hoshua to shepherd after Moshe, so we believe Yeshua set up a shepherd as well:

"And I tell you Peter, and on this Rock I will build My Church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give to you the keys of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loosen on earth shall be loosened in heaven." Matt.16.18-19

The jews see the truth. Why the protestants can't, I guess it's because their church was founded in direct opposition of it. Obviously. No offense intended to the Phatmass protestants. From our point of view and the Jews obviously this is what is seen.

Edited by Mc-Just†

Jake Huether

That's sweet! Praise be to God.

Hey, why is it that God and Lord are missing the 'o's on that page. It comes out like G-d and L-rd. ? Just curious?

is that just showin respect by not sayin the name

cause i know the old testament was harsh about that

That's what it is.

Jake Huether

Cool. Should we do that also then?

Not to be nitpicky, but there are other instances on that site that actually spell the name completely. :P

I would like to encourage you to read and study the Jewish Scriptures of the New Covenant for yourself and find out if Yeshua is truly the One of whom the prophets spoke.

... He sounds just like a mondern day Paul speaking to the Bereans.

Peace, Ken

... He sounds just like a mondern day Paul speaking to the Bereans.

Peace, Ken

his name's Levi, but i hereby declare him Pevi!!!!!

nah just playin

Pax Christi!

Hey, why is it that God and Lord are missing the 'o's on that page. It comes out like G-d and L-rd. ? Just curious?

The Jews, and some Hebrew Catholics, usually do this because they don't say the name of God -- even though God and Lord are not really His name, they have become names and thus the Jews show them respect. Yahweh is actually His name, and you won't find many Jews or Hebrew Catholics saying it, because it is Jewish custom not to speak the name of God.

For Hebrew Catholics, it's more a cultural sign of reverence for the name of God. It's not required, as far as I know. It's sort of like how people still want to genuflect before receiving Communion, even though the norm is the bow of a head; or how people want to kneel to receive Communion, even though the norm is to receive standing. The Jews want to omit letters from God's name out of respect, even though the Church has taught us that it's all right to say God, Lord, even Yahweh, without omitting letters.

I suppose any Catholic could omit letters from God, Lord, etc. I choose not to do this, and would choose not to do it even if I were a Hebrew Catholic, because I'm uncomfortable with the symbolism. It focuses too much on the transcendence of God and not enough on the immanence. Jesus taught us to call God our Father. Surely if we can call God our Father, we don't need to omit letters from His name or replace Yahweh with "HaShem" (which means "the name," by the way).

That's not to knock their customs. If they want to say G-d, L-rd, HaShem, etc. that's up to them. I just choose not to do it for myself, because I know that I personally would end up focusing too much on the transcendence of God and not enough on the immanence if I started doing that. Usually when I'm talking to Jews though (I've never talked to a Hebrew Catholic before, but I would probably do this for them too), I say G-d, L-rd, etc. out of respect for their culture.

I have a custom similar to this.

I don't know exactly how it came about for me, i just decided to start doing it one day. It comes wit speeking, not with typing.

whenever i hear the name of Jesus, i bow my head. i guess my symbolism stems from at the name of Jesus every knee shall bend in Heaven and on Earth and under the earth.

it's a sign of respect. when ppl shout the name in vain, it really annoys them when i bow my head. sometimes when i hear the name said in vain, i kneel on one knee.

i try not to publicize it, cuz i know the peops at my skewl would start sayin it over and over around me. I would probably choose not to do the bowing thing if someone tried to exploit it like that.

anyway, i do think it's cool 2 have rituals showing respect to the name of the Lord.

or should i say the name of the L-rd.

Pax et Amo Christi!

whenever i hear the name of Jesus, i bow my head.

Did you know that this is actually in the General Instruction on the Roman Missal? It says that "a bow of the head is made when the three Divine Persons are named together, and at the names of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of the Saint in whose honor Mass is being celebrated" (General Instruction on the Roman Missal, #275).

Of course, I think that means that the bow of the head is done only during Mass or when in a church, but I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate at all times.