An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Thread For Ardill's Questions

ardillacid

1 hour ago, ardillacid said:

So I proposed, and we are currently planning our wedding. :coffee:

I've never been to a Catholic wedding not on a Saturday...are there restrictions on other days of the week? Or is it just a cultural thing. 

Can't be a Sunday or a holy day of obligation.  I got married on a Monday. 

18 minutes ago, Papist said:

I have been to, and participated in, a few Sunday Catholic weddings over the years.  It's not usual, but licit.   It kinda conflicts with a "party" wedding reception.   Easter week, I'm pretty sure, is the only time that is out since there are no Masses anyway.  

The big factor is when it's convenient for the priest, or parish if you have a visiting priest for the wedding.  The next big factor is when the Bride wants it to happen...

41 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

I have been to, and participated in, a few Sunday Catholic weddings over the years.  It's not usual, but licit.   It kinda conflicts with a "party" wedding reception.   Easter week, I'm pretty sure, is the only time that is out since there are no Masses anyway.  

The big factor is when it's convenient for the priest, or parish if you have a visiting priest for the wedding.  The next big factor is when the Bride wants it to happen...

Never would have occurred to me to plan my wedding to be on a Sunday. 

Just now, WhiteLily said:

My best friend was married on a Monday. I'm sure they saved a lot of money renting the hall, etc.

Also, having the wedding shortly after Christmas day and Easter Sunday will save you a lot of money on flowers/decorations in the church?

1 hour ago, Papist said:

It can, but in a lot of places isn't allowed by the parish. That's a pastor's discretion sort of thing. The only days technically off limits are good Friday and Holy Saturday. Though I can't imagine any priest allowing a wedding during holy week. 

3 minutes ago, Papist said:

Also, having the wedding shortly after Christmas day and Easter Sunday will save you a lot of money on flowers/decorations in the church?

My friend was married Easter Monday.

6 hours ago, ardillacid said:

I've never been to a Catholic wedding not on a Saturday...are there restrictions on other days of the week? Or is it just a cultural thing. 

How are you going to send my invitation?  Plus 1, I'm bringing my bride.  

Although no longer forbidden, weddings in Advent and Lent are still frowned upon. They're supposed to be really simple, very few if any flowers, etc.

7 hours ago, ardillacid said:

you need to wait 5 years....

On 1/16/2017 at 0:19 PM, Amppax said:

I've seen/been to weddings on a Friday or Thursday. Not sure about official rules and all that, here's an article that looks decent: http://catholicweddinghelp.com/wedding-planning/04-setting-date.htm#avoid

Perfect. Thank you for the link :coffee:

On 1/16/2017 at 7:07 PM, MIKolbe said:

you need to wait 5 years....

:notworthy2:

On 1/16/2017 at 6:14 PM, Anomaly said:

How are you going to send my invitation?  Plus 1, I'm bringing my bride.  

I will dispatch a courier at once. :cheers2:

On 1/16/2017 at 3:09 PM, Papist said:

It's a bit of an unusual situation. We have a venue we like for the reception, but it's booked Saturdays until 2018. I don't want to wait that long, so we are planning on getting married the Sunday before Labor Day. Hopefully most will have the holiday off and can use it to travel. If they can't make it, que sera. 

18 minutes ago, ardillacid said:

Perfect. Thank you for the link :coffee:

:notworthy2:

I will dispatch a courier at once. :cheers2:

It's a bit of an unusual situation. We have a venue we like for the reception, but it's booked Saturdays until 2018. I don't want to wait that long, so we are planning on getting married the Sunday before Labor Day. Hopefully most will have the holiday off and can use it to travel. If they can't make it, que sera. 

I have been to Sunday weddings and receptions.  Most have been epic. Tended to be smaller, more relaxed, a little less drinking and everyone visits.  Different frame of mind.  Plan a wedding you guys will enjoy and you will.  I'm clearing my social calendar now. 

Edited by Anomaly

12 hours ago, ardillacid said:

Hmmm. I think we have a 2017 meetup venue. :think:

Edited by Papist

dominicansoul
On 1/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, ardillacid said:

My folks married during a Sunday Mass pre-Vatican II

I think you can marry any day of the week 

1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

My folks married during a Sunday Mass pre-Vatican II

I think you can marry any day of the week 

Yes you can marry on Sundays now. I don't know when it changed, but Sundays were forbidden as were first class feasts (aka solemnities). In some places, post-Trent, Mondays were one of the most popular days to get married, but you were to abstain on Fridays and Saturdays from meat.

• 7 months later...