Sign in to follow this  
dymphnamaria

The Monastic Family Of Bethlehem Nuns

dymphnamaria

I just thought this was supposed to be the life I want. Unfortunately, not for me.

thoronet_09.jpg

Does anyone knows this monastic nuns? Or someone might be interested.

They have a website. http://www.bethleem.org/

Gabriela

This is a BEAUTIFUL community. I LOVE those habits! And they're hermits, but in community! If only they were in the US!!!

Chiquitunga

I was too :pray: I've visited them in the US and France

Antigonos

I just thought this was supposed to be the life I want. Unfortunately, not for me.

thoronet_09.jpg

Does anyone knows this monastic nuns? Or someone might be interested.
They have a website. http://www.bethleem.org/

I believe this is the same order which has a monastery at Bet Jamal just outside of Bethlehem, less than 10 km from me.

beatitude

I believe this is the same order which has a monastery at Bet Jamal just outside of Bethlehem, less than 10 km from me.

They have. :) They are lovely and it is possible to visit if you'd ever like to go.

There is another monastery in the Galilee.

dymphnamaria

I was too :pray: I've visited them in the US and France

You were so blessed to have visited them. I have read the old thread about this community and it seems you had a wonderful experience with them.

savvy

savvy was discerning with this community, I believe, for a time.   ;)

No. It was with the Monastic Communities of Jerusalem, a different community. This one's cloistered. The spirituality is mostly the same, the mission is different. Jerusalem sisters are not cloistered, and are monastics, in the city,

Edited by savvy

OnlySunshine

No. It was with the Monastic Communities of Jerusalem, a different community. This one's cloistered. The spirituality is mostly the same, the mission is different. Jerusalem sisters are not cloistered, and are monastics, in the city,

Oops!  They sound so similar!  Sorry!  :blush:

Gabriela

They have. :) They are lovely and it is possible to visit if you'd ever like to go.

There is another monastery in the Galilee.

beatitude, can you link to the Israeli monasteries?

Gabriela

Sure. :)

Monastery of Our Lady of Palestine.

Monastery of the Assumption.

Laura Netofa.

They have some beautiful photos on all three of the mini-sites. No e-mail, due to their eremitical life. You'd have to write or telephone.

Oh my gosh. beatitude, isn't this just off Road #1? http://english.bethleem.org/monasteres/bet_gemal.php

I've driven past this a million times and always wondered what it was!

beatitude

I'm rubbish with the road numbers as I don't drive, but that sounds the place - it's quite easy to spot.

If you go to the church of St Peter in Gallicantu (built by the ruins of the high priest's house, over the prison cells where Christ would have been held on the night before his death - not far from the Zion gate) there is a little shop in which statues and other devotional objects made by these sisters are on sale. They are incredibly beautiful. I would love to have one or two of them, but they're ceramic and I'm so clumsy that I would be scared of breaking them. It doesn't help that I travel so much either. They might get battered to pieces in a suitcase. :(

I don't know if you've been in the Holy Land since you became a Catholic, but if you haven't, perhaps one day you could make a pilgrimage? A lot of monasteries and convents near the holy sites have little guesthouses, and it's good for discernment too, even if you aren't looking at those exact communities.

HisAlone

I don't post often, but I just had to when I saw this topic.

I have been interested in this community for a long time and have seen about everything that's on the web and read all of the threads on VS, however, I have never come across a description of their Mass.  I know their community incorporates both East and West.  Is their Mass a regular Ordinary Form or does it also include Eastern influences/rubrics or even Carthusian influences i.e. prostration during consecration.  Hopefully some of you who have actually spent time with this community can enlighten me.  :proud:

Dymphna:  May I ask why you felt this community was not for you?

Gabriela

I'd also like to know more about their daily life. And ideally to get a link to their rule/constitutions.

Has anyone visited who could tell us more?