An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abercrombie & Fitch Ceo Explains Why He Hates Fat Chicks

CrossCuT

Id be curious to go in there and see if their employees feel the same way haha!

Someone should go undercover!

CatholicsAreKewl

249148_10201157002191532_1663964818_n.jp

I think this man is exploiting the people who have rejected him his whole life. Or he's delusional. Either way, it's kind of sad. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

CatholicsAreKewl

Apparently the dude who made the meme didnt

How could he not? Gary Busey dances beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free. He is the definition of poetry.

You know what would be great? If tons of people dressed in really hideous, unfashionable clothes and made sure they looked dirty and then they all made it a point to shop in A&F. Scare off all the hot people ;)

Or just wear some A&F clothing and act like a complete moron in public. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Or just wear some A&F clothing and act like a complete moron in public. 

You mean act like a typical A&F customer?

I think he was referring to your custom title above your avatar.

ohh right, my bad lol.  its as in Body of Christ  Jeffboom  :)

I don't like that video, and here's why:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2013/05/fitch-the-homeless-no-thanks/

But where do the homeless figure into the equation? This stunt is based on the exact same premise offered by Jeffries: that some people are “unworthy” to wear A&F clothes. The hipster doofus handing out A&F clothing to people on the street is doing it because he accepts the notion that they’re somehow lesser than “the rest of us.” His stunt has no bite without this assumption.

And the guy in the video is just passing out clothes to random people, without any sense of whether or not the clothes are wanted or even fit. He gives something to a decidedly plus-sized woman when we already know A&F doesn’t make plus sized clothing. These people are just being used as props.

In short, their humanity and dignity is denied so a callow twit can burnish his reputation as a Right Thinker. And to what end? The sort of people shallow enough to care what company makes a shirt aren’t likely to get any message. The brand isn’t diminished.

In the end, the whole thing reminded me of Kramer and Newman using the homeless to pull rickshaws: “they’re always walking around the city: why not just strap something to them!” It’s just using people, instead of seeing them as people.

and his update:

I really do see the appeal of the video. I didn’t think twice about it after seeing it once. But after watching it a second time, I focused on the details and began wondering what point was being made, at whose expense, and to what end? What is the purpose? What are the assumptions? What is the goal?

If you think it’s just an amusing stunt, then I get that.

But if you think it’s making some point about the self-image of a self-selecting elite, and you want to subvert that image and the corporation promoting it, think closely about how you’re going about it. Is someone being exploited in the process? Are you accepting the very assumptions you’re criticizing? And do the people you’re using know if, how, why, and for what purpose they’re being used?

What A&F does with their used clothing is irrelevant. How we as individuals view and treat those in need, however, matters a great deal. The video guy’s real mission was right in front of him, on the street, in the form of humans in need of love and hope, but he barely gave them a second glance because he wasn’t working for them: he was working for the camera and audience. I have to assume his intentions are good: I’m just not sure what those intentions are.

Edited by Lil Red

I really think they're reading too much into it, but that's just my opinion.

I agree.

I did feel very similar when I watched the video though. It wouldnt be a stretch to interpret the video as an implication that the homeless people are not "cool" in the same sense that fat girls arent, but I do believe that whoever wrote that is reading WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much into the issue.

Regardless of the intent, he purchased clothing and gave it away to people in need.