An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abercrombie & Fitch Ceo Explains Why He Hates Fat Chicks

CrossCuT

LiL Red

But where do the homeless figure into the equation? This stunt is based on the exact same premise offered by Jeffries: that some people are “unworthy” to wear A&F clothes. The hipster doofus handing out A&F clothing to people on the street is doing it because he accepts the notion that they’re somehow lesser than “the rest of us.” His stunt has no bite without this assumption.

And the guy in the video is just passing out clothes to random people, without any sense of whether or not the clothes are wanted or even fit. He gives something to a decidedly plus-sized woman when we already know A&F doesn’t make plus sized clothing. These people are just being used as props.

In short, their humanity and dignity is denied so a callow twit can burnish his reputation as a Right Thinker. And to what end? The sort of people shallow enough to care what company makes a shirt aren’t likely to get any message. The brand isn’t diminished.

In the end, the whole thing reminded me of Kramer and Newman using the homeless to pull rickshaws: “they’re always walking around the city: why not just strap something to them!” It’s just using people, instead of seeing them as people.

and his update:

I really do see the appeal of the video. I didn’t think twice about it after seeing it once. But after watching it a second time, I focused on the details and began wondering what point was being made, at whose expense, and to what end? What is the purpose? What are the assumptions? What is the goal?

If you think it’s just an amusing stunt, then I get that.

But if you think it’s making some point about the self-image of a self-selecting elite, and you want to subvert that image and the corporation promoting it, think closely about how you’re going about it. Is someone being exploited in the process? Are you accepting the very assumptions you’re criticizing? And do the people you’re using know if, how, why, and for what purpose they’re being used?

What A&F does with their used clothing is irrelevant. How we as individuals view and treat those in need, however, matters a great deal. The video guy’s real mission was right in front of him, on the street, in the form of humans in need of love and hope, but he barely gave them a second glance because he wasn’t working for them: he was working for the camera and audience. I have to assume his intentions are good: I’m just not sure what those intentions are.

Really? You don't know what his intentions ARE? His intentions were to show the world and A&F that all people are deserving of clothing and that A&F shouldn't get to dictate who wears their products because is discriminatory and mean.

The complexity of this video is on par with the book "Goodnight Moon" wherein we say goodnight to the moon.

Really? You don't know what his intentions ARE? His intentions were to show the world and A&F that all people are deserving of clothing and that A&F shouldn't get to dictate who wears their products because is discriminatory and mean.

The complexity of this video is on par with the book "Goodnight Moon" wherein we say goodnight to the moon.

i hope you put that comment on the blog i linked. pretty sure the author won't see it on phatmass. 

Nihil Obstat

I am more inclined to interpret it along the lines of "What, A&F says you should not wear their clothing? Well HA, here you go, have some anyway!" It was not really meant to be incisive social commentary. And ultimately giving clothing to homeless people is a praiseworthy act of charity.

I guess I do not see a huge need to read any deeper into it than that.

anyway, so i disagree with the video, big deal. other people like it, big deal. some people don't, big deal. 

PhuturePriest

anyway, so i disagree with the video, big deal. other people like it, big deal. some people don't, big deal. 

Must everything be a big deal to you? :P

Must everything be a big deal to you? :P

most everything isn't a big deal to me. ;)

I know you disagree with the video, I was just pointing out why that is a stupid thing to do.

i hope you put that comment on the blog i linked. pretty sure the author won't see it on phatmass.

[mod] edited personal attack--rc [/mod]

Winchester

What's not a big deal is that she disagrees. You basically launched three feet of your bowel out in raegpostinst over a comment from the blog site. She was trying to calm you down before you popped a blood vessel.

What's not a big deal is that she disagrees. You basically launched three feet of your bowel out in raegpostinst over a comment from the blog site. She was trying to calm you down before you popped a blood vessel.

Aww, you're still cute ;D even if you are horribly incorrect.

She posted a very long argument against the video and then refused to discuss it when I pointed out how silly her argument was. I think giving clothes to homeless people is good and I think telling the A&F folks that they'r being mean is good. If she disagrees with that then she is being mean and I thought she should know.

CatholicsAreKewl

How many posts does it take to reach the tootsie roll center of the lame board?

tootsieowl.jpg