An Old School Catholic Message Board

Angel Tarot Cards

jazzytakara

jazzytakara

I recently visited with my family and my younger sister had two sets of Tarot Cards, one was Angel Tarot Cards and the other Archangel Tarot Cards. They are meant to communicate with angels/archangels, in particular guardian angels, to examine the messages angels are trying to send you. The cards were made by Doreen Virtue. The lady who owned the store is Catholic and sells various angel themed merchandise. My sister and I have always had a shaky relationship, so when she asked to give me a reading I agreed, bonding moment and what not. I have never really believed in Tarot Cards, so I figured it would be harmless and if they truly were some kind of prayer method for communicating with angels, I made sure to pray that only God's message would come through if anything came of it at all. There were weird coincidences as with most 'psychic' things, but overall I trust God over cards any day or time. I took it more so as a bonding experience with my sister, as it seemed to be really important to her. She's Protestant, but she struggles with her faith, so I figured if it makes her think more about God then it can't be all bad. The process involves some Christian aspects, such as praying that God uses the cards and the person reading the cards to convey His message, but it does also include several Occult references that got me thinking about the possible illicit nature of the card use. They reference chakras, physically flicking the cards to 'remove the readers energy', colour symbolism, and meditation. They inform you of some accurate information on known angels, such as St.Micheal and St.Gabriel; however, there were no factual references to the other angels that the cards were named after. The store my sister bought them from also sells legitimate Catholic related angel merchandise, as well as numerology books that explain that if a number keeps coming up in your day-to-day life, it is an angel trying to communicate a message to you and gives you an associated meaning to the numbers. 

Overall I was just wondering about the legitimacy of these cards and numerology books, especially since they tie into angels/archangels. I have to go to confession this week, and I am wondering if this is something I should mention, as I am unsure if by participating, even though I didn't think it was truth based, I am guilty of mortal sin. I've just been thinking about it, as my youngest sister (who despite never being raised to be religious) has always had good insights of God's message (insights that are more Catholic than the liberal Protestant upbringing she was given), and she refused to  allow our sister to give her a reading. So anyway, I thought I would ask on Phatmass to figure out the truth behind this situation. Thank you.

CatherineM

I don't consider it a mortal sin from what you've described, but mention it in confession. It is dangerous to mess with though, even if it has no validity on its face. Don't do it again.

• 6 years later...
Adviser/asker

The Church bans divination as it takes it’s source from the Devil or makes us have trust in something instead of God, however, I don’t really see the problem if the divination comes from an angel. Angels obviously have nothing to do with the Devil and as they are servants of God, trusting them is trusting God. So I don’t really see where the problem is, but as it’s still divination, I’d recommend you stay away since the Church bans divination. I wish the Church would take an official position on angel cards. 

Maximilianus

Doreen Virtue = No

She's of a long line of charlatans that masks preternatural, gnostic, occult, et al elements with Christianity. 

It's all new age sycretism. One might as well use a Ouija board. 

2 Timothy Chapter 4 "be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching.

For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, 2 will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths"

"Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,"

Edited by BarbaraTherese