An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

I am not into wii, but I remember discussing with my husband at one point the stats on men/women getting on to the internet (this was in late1990's when it was pretty new stuff.  Almost all the guys had been introduced by a woman... but then the men just took it over!  We thought it was fascinating.

I suspect the women go for the relationship stuff and the interconnection stuff... and the guys for the sports, gambling and more over-the-top gaming.  I dunno.  Would be interesting to researrch... Nice thesis for someone ELSE!

YOU GOT EM!!!!!!   CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

March 3 - St. Katherine Drexel!!!!!!!   One of my FAVORITES!

Her shrine is in Bensalem, PA.   Maybe you should go make her a visit and ask for her to intercede for you!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Drexel

Hmm that's pretty interesting really with the internet games and having the woman introduce only for the guy to co-opt.  It sounds a lot like my cousin, who introduced her husband to angry birds, and he plays it more than her now.  (He really stinks at it though...and ends up still losing compared to her score on Angry Birds Friends!)  And it really is an interesting idea, one that's more pure sociology than what I look at, but maybe something for the future (or as you said, someone else lol).  I could definitely see what you mean though; the Wii as a console is more oriented around gaming with your friends in person and games that appeal to that, whereas Xbox and PS4 are both more along the lines of "shoot, drive, kill" games.  

And erm...with all respect to Saint Katharine Drexel, I've been to Bensalem several times due to seeing someone on Ave Maria Singles that didn't work out, and I'd rather not drive five hours across the state in the winter to pray at her shrine, especially given the area near Bensalem just had a 70-100 car pileup on the Turnpike.  There is a nice little Catholic university there that I'd apply at if they had an opening; E. that I was going out there to see, took me on a tour of it once.  But thank you!!!  It's nerve wracking, but exciting.

I'll pray for you and add you to our community prayer intentions.

Thanks, I appreciate it!! 

HEY BG!!!!   Maybe they should come up with a Plants Versus Zombies version for the WII!!!!!!!

Can you imagine how FUN it would be??????

Oh my goodness, that would be fun!  I have it on PC and it's so addicting...

IgnatiusofLoyola

I have heard that the Queen plays games on her Wii. (She is now 87--and will turn 88 in April. However, she is a VERY active 87-year old.) Unfortunately, I have no idea how often the Queen plays or her favorite games. I believe she was given the Wii by one or more of her grandchildren.

Note: I have no citations for this factoid. The information was anecdotal and thus, not to be completely trusted. Still, I thought it was fun.

The statistics you posted on women's fondness for Wii would at least seem to suggest that this factoid may not be completely false.

Iggy, I love that!   (And I hope it is true - what a human, wonderful thing for the Queen to be given it by her grandkids!)

BG, I do think there is a bit of a sociological puzzler here on the why men & women play computer.gaming console games & how they use'em.   I have seen a lot of examples of the women start it and the guys shove them off the consoles.  (And yes, I have seen and do see it!)  (Ironically, now that I think of it.... James Mitchener hypothesized in The Source that women may have started the guys in cultivating grain millennia ago (and he usually did his homework....) .... I wonder if there really IS a pattern here... hmmmmm)

I also wonder if perhaps the wii is subtly oriented more toward women and children with the little almost playskoolish 'characters'

mii-collage.png

I dunno.  I do know I had a HELL of a time to get Mr. AL to try Plants v Zombies... and then I had a heck of a time to get my computer back because he wanted to play it ALL THE TIME!   I can remember many a night when I would go to sleep to the strains of theme music and Bwhahahaha ah!... Brains!   and NOOOOO!    and wake up to the SAME sounds 6 or 7 hours later.  (And a very GRUMPY Mr. AL!)

If anyone is curious, you can play a free sample at http://www.shockwave.com or at http://www.gamehouse.com

just look for Plants vs Zombies.  You don't have to join or download it. It is a FUN game... and I think it really is a very good morality play - about the little guy plants defending their turf with 'pea shooters' 'corn-pults' 'cherry bombs' and 'chompers' and lawn mowers and pool sweepers.    And the zombies are geared up like business guys, football players, a zomboni driver, and bobsled riders!!!!  It's clever and well-designed and just a lot of fun (at least the computer version is!) with LOTS of really fun, creative ideas.   Give it a try!

AND BG... did you see that they are now coming up with an X-BOX Version?   Kind of backs what you said about the difference in 'styles' being more shoot-em-up -- compare the videos I listed above (for the regular PvZ) with this lead in and promo video for the new X-BOX one:

"Plants vs. Zombiesâ„¢ Garden Warfare digs into the trenches with an explosive new Co-op and Multiplayer action experience. Blast zombies and plants across a mine-blowing world that delivers the depth of a traditional online shooter blended with the refreshing humor of Plants vs. Zombies."

Here s the promo video (and yes it is very tame, despite the warning at the start.  Nothing to fear!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShMootQvl_0[/media]

Edited by AnneLine

Sorry, I'll try to reply to you both after conference, I promise!!  The wifi here at the hotel in Latrobe is super slow (and I can't see youtube videos because they block that site...)  Sorta want to copy and paste something from FB, my conference trip thus far:

Gonna be out of town at conference, in fact, I'm in Latrobe right now, having booked a room because we're expecting 4-7 inches of snow tonight, and I needed to be able to get to the Amtrak station for my 8:21am train.  Thus is my adventure so far:  I drove to Latrobe, a simple enough proposition on its face...only to not know which of the 3 turns to make on to a highway in, in the dark, because all 3 had "Do Not Enter" and "One Way" signs.  Ended up on rural highway that was one way for 8 miles, until I could u-turn legally on to another rural highway going one way back to Latrobe.  Get to hotel and ask about AMTRAK long term parking, they don't think it has it.  I ask if I could pay to keep my car there, like park and fly (since they offer it) and they say to ask management at 8am (my train is 8:21am) because most of the spots in the lot aren't open and are buried under mounds of snow.  I ask if they have the number of a cab company I could use from Wal-Mart, since it usually lets people park at the edge of the lot without issues, they give it to me, but tell me you have to call 2-3 days in advance.  I drive down to the area around the AMTRAK station and ask Rite Aid if there's long term parking, despite the station being less than a quarter mile away, they're unsure.  Call my parents for them to look stuff up as I tramp about on foot in the dark looking for anything.  Parents find on AMTRAK's site that "long term parking is available" for Latrobe.  Find a lot at the foot of the well hidden stairs to the AMTRAK station, no signs anywhere except one between it and the street for Pangoro pay by phone parking, call them, wait to get through to a customer service rep, customer service rep says the zone # I gave him is for on-street parking.  I think it has to be the long term lot and will ask tomorrow...because the station is only staffed 30 minutes before a train arrives.  I should still hopefully have plenty of time to move to the correct lot if it isn't.  Also during the course of this I had multiple detours between the hotel and AMTRAK due to police blocking off streets for car wrecks, the snow was beginning to fall, and I'm pretty darn tired.

Thank you!!!  Since my last update, I thought I heard snow against the window.  Looked outside, roads are now covered, cars are now covered.  I am grateful to have booked this room "just in case" of snow.

Snow all-but-virgin that I am, I never would have thought of it making a noise!  

:cold:  :cold:  :cold:  :icey2:  :icey:  :cold: :cold: :cold:

Silly California people!

So I'll ask for prayers again when we get closer, but...I have an on campus interview.  At my alma mater.  On March 3rd.

That would have been Mom-Mom's birthday. :love: I'll ask her to pull some strings for you (and of course, I will pray too). Don't be nervous. It's like going home.

I have heard that the Queen plays games on her Wii. (She is now 87--and will turn 88 in April. However, she is a VERY active 87-year old.) Unfortunately, I have no idea how often the Queen plays or her favorite games. I believe she was given the Wii by one or more of her grandchildren.

Note: I have no citations for this factoid. The information was anecdotal and thus, not to be completely trusted. Still, I thought it was fun.

The statistics you posted on women's fondness for Wii would at least seem to suggest that this factoid may not be completely false.

I do love that anecdote though! :)  It's kinda funny to imagine the Queen playing a Wii and I really don't doubt that it happens!  have you ever seen the episode of the Simpsons that came out shortly after the Wii caught on in retirement homes?  The Springfield Retirement Home got a Zii, just drawn exactly like a Wii, and eventually the nurses sabotaged it, because the old people loved it so much and had come out of their home-induced stupor and were feeling energetic again.

Iggy, I love that!   (And I hope it is true - what a human, wonderful thing for the Queen to be given it by her grandkids!)

BG, I do think there is a bit of a sociological puzzler here on the why men & women play computer.gaming console games & how they use'em.   I have seen a lot of examples of the women start it and the guys shove them off the consoles.  (And yes, I have seen and do see it!)  (Ironically, now that I think of it.... James Mitchener hypothesized in The Source that women may have started the guys in cultivating grain millennia ago (and he usually did his homework....) .... I wonder if there really IS a pattern here... hmmmmm)

I also wonder if perhaps the wii is subtly oriented more toward women and children with the little almost playskoolish 'characters'

mii-collage.png

I dunno.  I do know I had a HELL of a time to get Mr. AL to try Plants v Zombies... and then I had a heck of a time to get my computer back because he wanted to play it ALL THE TIME!   I can remember many a night when I would go to sleep to the strains of theme music and Bwhahahaha ah!... Brains!   and NOOOOO!    and wake up to the SAME sounds 6 or 7 hours later.  (And a very GRUMPY Mr. AL!)

If anyone is curious, you can play a free sample at http://www.shockwave.com or at http://www.gamehouse.com

just look for Plants vs Zombies.  You don't have to join or download it. It is a FUN game... and I think it really is a very good morality play - about the little guy plants defending their turf with 'pea shooters' 'corn-pults' 'cherry bombs' and 'chompers' and lawn mowers and pool sweepers.    And the zombies are geared up like business guys, football players, a zomboni driver, and bobsled riders!!!!  It's clever and well-designed and just a lot of fun (at least the computer version is!) with LOTS of really fun, creative ideas.   Give it a try!

AND BG... did you see that they are now coming up with an X-BOX Version?   Kind of backs what you said about the difference in 'styles' being more shoot-em-up -- compare the videos I listed above (for the regular PvZ) with this lead in and promo video for the new X-BOX one:

"Plants vs. Zombiesâ„¢ Garden Warfare digs into the trenches with an explosive new Co-op and Multiplayer action experience. Blast zombies and plants across a mine-blowing world that delivers the depth of a traditional online shooter blended with the refreshing humor of Plants vs. Zombies."

Here s the promo video (and yes it is very tame, despite the warning at the start.  Nothing to fear!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShMootQvl_0[/media]

AL, wow.  That is funny that Mr. AL siezed your computer like that for the greater glory of Plants vs. Zombies, equally amazing that they're coming up with a co-op version for X-Box that seems more geared towards the "hardcore" male gamer demographic that tends to enjoy first person shooters and such.  Totally agreed that it's an interesting sociological puzzler...heh.  And Michener, <3 his stuff!!

Goodness! Crazy winter weather!  I hope that you get things sorted out about the parking tomorrow.

Thanks!  It was pretty wacky, when I met up with folks on Thursday who had been supposed to be on my train, I was the only one of the three of us who made it due to the weather, so the booking a room was sound advice from my students and a colleague!  None of the other two guys made it to the train station in time, despite leaving four to five hours early...heh.  Parking ended up sorted out though! :)  Turns out that was indeed the long term parking lot for Amtrak, just unmarked and in a rather shady neighborhood.  But car was alright when the train from Philly came back last night!

Snow all-but-virgin that I am, I never would have thought of it making a noise!  

:cold:  :cold:  :cold:  :icey2:  :icey:  :cold: :cold: :cold:

Silly California people!

Hehe, I'd trade you for your slightly cold winters at the moment!  Funny story on the "snow virgin" stuff.  When I worked at McD's in undergrad, there was a guy who had just moved from Texas who was working a late night shift with two of us when the first snow of the season hit.  He was just so awestruck and we had no clue why until he told us, "I've never seen this stuff before in real life!"  We ended up unlocking the doors so he could go outside with childlike wonder and try to catch snowflakes on his tongue.  A few hours later, we went out when things were dead around 1am for him to make snow angels.  Two days later, he hated the snow as much as everyone else, due to driving in it...but it was amazing to watch a fully grown adult marveling at something so many of us had taken for granted.

That would have been Mom-Mom's birthday. :love: I'll ask her to pull some strings for you (and of course, I will pray too). Don't be nervous. It's like going home.

Thanks Missy, I appreciate you asking her to do that. :)  (And I appreciate your prayers as well!)  And I'll definitely try to look at it that way...I've come a long way in the last four years.  Far more confident than I was when they last had me on campus as a Masters student; not being egotistical, just realistic.  Personally and professionally I've had time to grow...now I just need to make a good presentation, a better one than the other candidate!  Four out of five committee members know me, one has previously lived with me, the Dean knows me...I just need to show them that I have what it takes. And with prayers (and practice) I think I can do that!

---

Back from Conference.  :)  Some highlights:
1) There was no one at the Amtrak station 30 minutes prior to the train, but that was indeed the long term lot!
2) The Marriott is a substandard business class chain on the whole, I'm beginning to believe, from my last two professional conferences at them.
3) Eastern State Penitentiary is amazing!
4) Presentation went well; guy who wrote my Policy textbook said that it "blew my mind".
5) Had some fun times out with the Crim folks, both [current school] and [alma mater]. Must say this is the first conference I've spent hours talking to a rape expert from the UK (forget her name) in a bar about Dr. Who, Torchwood, our mutual love of Toronto, America's weird obsession with the British royals, and how frustrated she is that her daughter is reclaiming the Welshness of her father's side.
6) Got some job postings from the Exchange, had a nice talk with someone from Michigan.
7) Got to hang out with my former roommate, his wife, and their cute son and it was awesome. Apparently, you automatically win at conference by holding a baby...seriously, baby A. being in a room would reduce every criminologist in a five foot area to a cooing puddle of goo.  :P

A couple of photos:
Foggy morning in Philly:
1621832_993275162949_953140094_n.jpg

But still more see-through than the water from my bathroom faucet:
1488975_993275187899_1623960825_n.jpg

Eastern State Penitentiary:
1897823_993273795689_23260554_n.jpg

A map showing how influential the design was.  It was also a tourist trap back when it was in use; Charles Dickens, noted British author, listed the prison as one of two places he wanted to visit when he came to America:
1239849_993275113049_898710553_n.jpg

Al Capone's Cell, mostly preserved:
1920561_993274948379_991768426_n.jpg

Cell...as in "jail cell?" This is my bedroom, minus some paint.

Yup!  Somehow certainly not corruption and his mafia influence his jail cell was both larger than everyone else's at Eastern State Penitentiary and well decorated for a jail cell to boot.  At least your bedroom has nicer paint than the old mob boss's cell? :)

WTH, did you go to Philly or Sochi with that water? Lol!!!

And Eastern State is scary as hell. Every year around Halloween they do a huge walk-through with characters there ... never been, never will. Fr. Brian visited there recently and said it felt spiritually oppressive.

I think his jail cell is bigger than my room...He has room for a chair.

Cool pic!

Haha, thanks for the compliment on the photo.  Seems like Al Capone had a far better time in prison, bedroom wise, than most of us are almost a century later with apartment bedrooms!

WTH, did you go to Philly or Sochi with that water? Lol!!!

And Eastern State is scary as hell. Every year around Halloween they do a huge walk-through with characters there ... never been, never will. Fr. Brian visited there recently and said it felt spiritually oppressive.

I thought I went to Philly, but kept looking for a photo of President Putin lol!  Enjoyed reading the hotel tweets from Sochi though, before heading out.  Loved CNN being like "We have 1 of our 11 rooms for 55 people". and "Is water supposed to be orange?"

Eastern State really is that scary...I can't imagine going at Halloween!  The place as it is, was in that perfect state of decay where it's both functional but creepy.  Didn't feel anything spiritually, but I was excited to be there as a tourist lol.  The weirdest thing though was the snow...there was snow in some of the cells where their roofs were gone, and it was so cold inside the prison itself, that when we went outside to the snowy ground, it was actually warmer out amongst the snow!