An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bg's Random Ramblings And Thoughts 3

BG45

What the heck, did you just say awk??? Pleeeeease stop hanging out with Tony so much!!!! :hehe: ;)  :saint2:

My evil plan is working! :evil:

John 18:25-28   'Surely you must be one of them... you sound just like him."    Hmmmm... maybe I should reconsider my companions.... NOPE!!!!!!

Thanks everyone, it was a good birthday! :)  Sorry I didn't get on here yesterday to say thanks...

Spent today with my old roomie hammering out part of a publication we're trying to do.  We got a lot done, but after six hours, threw in the towel for the day :P

Got messaged on FB by someone I've chatted with on AMS for 8 months saying she's decided I'm not the one, but telling me how amesome I am as a friend.  They've yet to restore e-mails there, so if they don't, I'm back to square one.

Glad it was a good birthday, BG!    Sounds like you had a good time wth your friend,  and hopefuly, family too...

As far as the FB friend.... sheeesh... what a birthday present.   Sigh.    Maybe it's time to try something other than AMS?    You enjoy walking... maybe there are some hiking clubs or some such?   

AnneLine's thoughts are in blue.....

I almost forgot, today is the 69th anniversary of the D-Day landings.  My grandfather never spoke to me about them while he was alive, but my grandmother (when she was alive) and my mother and aunt have all mentioned he had nightmares where he'd wake up screaming from the memories at least once a week for the rest of his life from it.

Such a common report, BG.    We dont' realize, we just DON'T how much the 'Greatest Generation' gave for us.   We need to pray for them and honor the ones who remain.

Has anyone else gotten into the Wartime Farm on Youtube?    It's the same people that did the Victorian and Edwardian Farms, but they are running a British Farm the way it was run during WWII.   I hadn't realized how much the British people in the countryside had to do to keep Britain from starving and fighting in the War.   Or that it really started for them in the late 30's.... and that rationing continued until AFTER my birth in the 1950s.  WOW...  And as Ruth and the others narrate their stories, I realize how much my own upbringing was colored by what my parents went thru in WWII....   Both had their own flavors of PDSDish exposure I think.   My bet is everyone did.....

One thing I didn't know about until a few years ago was Eisenhower's other speech, the one he never gave and was so stressed when he wrote it, he put July instead of June.  However, courtesy of the Art of Manliness, a photo of it:

dday.jpg

Thank goodness he never had to give that speech, and that the Allied troops were successful in the invasion.

Good Lord, that is powerful.  Yes, grateful that they were successful.  And that that speech NEVER had to be given...

Soldiers would hit the beaches not from a handful of countries, but from the great multitude of those opposing Hitler and support would be found within France and across Europe from various resistance groups from across the continent. Even today, when we know so much about what went on before, during, and after D-Day, there is so much which we will probably never know, of the great heroism of those who fought on for their countries under the rule of Hitler.

Winged Knight;5165746 said:

I'm still curious what Winged Knight;5165746 said...  kinda dropped below the radar, BG....

Edited by AnneLine

Yep a good time had by all :)  As for hiking clubs or similar, doubtful...anyone my age would probably be a student here, which is a no-go if I don't want fired.

The baby shower was like Purgatory, given some of the things being discussed.  The mom-to-be made a fuss afterward about how she wished she had introduced me to her friend S. before S. and her boyfriend had gotten engaged, since S. and I seemed to get along so well at the shower and share so many common interests.  

I've not seen the War Farm series on YouTube, but I really believe just about everyone had their own flavors of PTSD, like you said.  I can think of so many older folks who were just kids, and many of them talk about keeping the lights out at night because of safety reasons and such and how they still do it today.  I hate to give too much credit, but I really think the Second World War irreparably changed society worldwide as we know it (often not for the better, but in many ways also for the better).

Oh, I copied my post from another board.  My signature there is a quote from a poster named Winged Knight, and a 40k/Sailor Moon crossover:

You see, Hotaru, there comes a time in every young girl's life where they start to feel certain... urges. You might find boys to not be as icky as they were before. In fact, you might find them quite nice. Even more, you might also feel the urge to destroy everything in the galaxy. Don't worry, these feelings are totally normal.

Yep a good time had by all :)  As for hiking clubs or similar, doubtful...anyone my age would probably be a student here, which is a no-go if I don't want fired.

BG, that's has GOT to be SO FRUSTRATING?!!! How in Heaven's name are you suposed to find a potential mate?   I ran into the exact same kind of stuff with the DESIRE of my pastor for me to do career counseling workshops for the parish... can't do it if I am a parishioner. 

How sensible are some of these laws?  I get the rationale... they don't want us taking advantge of students and/or clients.... but sheesh!

The baby shower was like Purgatory, given some of the things being discussed.  The mom-to-be made a fuss afterward about how she wished she had introduced me to her friend S. before S. and her boyfriend had gotten engaged, since S. and I seemed to get along so well at the shower and share so many common interests.  

AAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

I've not seen the War Farm series on YouTube,

It's truly marvelous (altho I think Tales of the Green Valley, Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm were better....)  Here's a link to the 1st Week / 1st Year of the War....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vaexIRSZ0

but I really believe just about everyone had their own flavors of PTSD, like you said.  I can think of so many older folks who were just kids, and many of them talk about keeping the lights out at night because of safety reasons and such and how they still do it today.  I hate to give too much credit, but I really think the Second World War irreparably changed society worldwide as we know it (often not for the better, but in many ways also for the better).

Absolutely.  Last 'Week' of Wartime Farm they talk about how many breeds of livestock when extinct or endangered because of the Wartime cull.... but as they point out, it was keep people alive by growing more grains, or keep the animals.  Pick one....

And that is just the food issue.  So many lives irreparably damanged/interrupted/stopped.....

Oh, I copied my post from another board.

OOOHHH!   That makes sense now!

My signature there is a quote from a poster named Winged Knight, and a 40k/Sailor Moon crossover:

And I like the Winged Knight post....

Papist, I LOLed really hard, but it's so true!

AL, it may be legal related on your end, but just contractual on mine.  And that's awful!  "I love the parish, I want to get more involved!" "Oh you can, but not as a member!"  x.x   And that's amazing to think entire species went extinct due to the need to feed people and ration them, horrifying, but amazing!  I guess if it comes down to you or the animal, a person wants to choose themselves each time (and I would definitely do the same).  Glad you like his post, I thought it was pretty funny!  :)

A pic for everyone:

foodbs1e.png

Y'all probably don't want to know what makes me angry, but I'll share it anyhow:  Philly closes 23 public schools (10% of total), builds $400 million prison instead.

Grr...this isn't exactly news to me.  Well the specifics are, yes, but not the general theme.  In Pennsylvania, and sadly across most of the U.S., our prisons are far better funded than our schools.  Education, actually is one of the correlates for lessening involvement in crime, among an unholy number of others, but it seems we'd rather be "tough on crime" than teach children.  Most prisoners in the U.S. have around an 8th grade level of education, heh.  

(Ironically:  Earlier today our local rep for a major publishing house gave me a complimentary copy of the latest version of one of the bestselling works in my field, "The Rich Get Richer and the Poor Get Prison".  Three guesses as to what neighborhoods lost schools?)

You made me laugh.  Though the Eagles do seem to have certain trouble with law, their players at least...

Also a very applicable quote for the NSA stuff from Justice Louis Brandeis in his dissenting opinion in the 1928 U.S. Supreme Court case Olmstead v. United States:

The progress of science in furnishing the government with means of espionage is not likely to stop with wire tapping. Ways may some day be developed by which the government, without removing papers from secret drawers, can reproduce them in court, and by which it will be enabled to expose to a jury the most intimate occurrences of the home. Advances in the psychic and related sciences may bring means of exploring unexpressed beliefs, thoughts and emotions. 'That places the liberty of every man in the hands of every petty officer' was said by James Otis of much lesser intrusions than these. 1 To Lord Camden a far slighter intrusion seemed 'subversive of all the comforts of society.' Can it be that the Constitution affords no protection against such invasions of individual security?