An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Customs

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

Hi VeniJesuAmorMi!

That explains it! I will post some more customs or excerpts from a Ceremonial.

graciandelamadrededios

THE CARMELITE’S DAY

This came from the Montreal Carmel, probably around 1948-49.  It seems some young lady from Canada entered a Carmel in France, and her mother had asked what she did all day long; this was her reply.  The Montreal Carmel translated it from the French and sent a copy to us.

Discalced Carmelite Nuns - Seattle

The Carmelite’s Day

(La Journée d’une Carmelite)

Perchance you would like me to tell you something of Carmelite ways,

Of the duties and prayers that make up our quiet cloistered days.

So here they are in detail, set down in jingling rhyme,

And briefly, lest the reading encroach too much on your time.

At a quarter of five in the morning, when all are deep in slumber,

The clapper suddenly wakens the drowsiest of our number.

At once we turn to Jesus, and offer Him our heart,

Invoking His Name most holy, ere our daily duties start.

Then, taking holy water, without a moment’s loss,

We begin our round of duties with the blessed Sign of the Cross;

And rising up with promptness, at once we kiss the floor,

In attitude thus lowly our Maker to adore.

And humbly beg His graces that all our day be blest,

Proceeding to the choir as soon as we are drest.

The bell at five announces beginning of mental prayer,

Which during a sweet hour we make in His Presence there.

Since Prime and the “Little Hours” must all ere Mass be said,

We’re absent from the choir just while we make our bed.

Then our Mother gives her blessing, and we all repair to our cells,

To take our “Imitation,” and read what a chapter tells.

Then each one goes to labor, stopping a moment to pray,

At some shrine of special devotion, for light and grace of the day.

At eight o’clock a summons bids all repair to choir,

For Mass, and the bliss of receiving Him Whom our souls desire.

A quarter of an hour is given for loving gratitude,

On Sunday morn however there is longer solitude.

When this duty sweet is over, we all in silence go,

To the work named by obedience, which is God’s will, we know.

At seven of ten a signal gives loud but kindly warning,

‘Tis time to make examen of all we’ve done since morning.

In file then to the refectory we modestly repair,

To take our meal in silence, while one is reading there.

As soon as dinner’s over, our thanks to God we offer,

And pray for benefactors whose alms so freely proffer.

Then follows recreation, when our silence strict is broken,

By pleasant conversation, which of happy souls is token.

But during recreation we must have work in hand,

As souls in Christ united, by love’s most holy band.

This hour being over, silence is resumed by all once more,

As joined by the Rule in Carmel, from the fervent days of yore.

At two o’clock to choir we’re summoned by the bell,

Which, in calling us to Vespers, invites to say them well.

A half-hour then is given to make our spiritual reading,

And as three o’clock is sounding each Carmelite is pleading.

With outstretched arms, in union with Him Who died to save,

And at this sacred moment His live for sinners gave.

Through love for our Lord and Master, and desire to please Him e’er,

Our work we then resume, in a spirit of holy prayer.

We’re reminded all by clapper, at a quarter of five, to read,

Our subject of mental prayer, which we choose to suit our need.

At five o’clock we’re kneeling at the Master’s feet to adore,

To beg His many graces, and learn to know Him more.

How sweet those fleeting moments when we’re heart to heart united,

To the God of love and mercy, and our souls with His zeal are lighted;

The Angelus rings at six o’clock and the Carmelite’s next station,

Is to take frugal supper, - on fast days mere collation;

For our Order starts its fasting on the 14th of September,

And continues it till Easter, - in which months, please remember.

That rising, Mass and dinner, as our Holy Rule ordains,

Are an hour later than mentioned, - though no Sunday fast obtains.

But fasting holds on Fridays all summer through,

Some eves of feasts likewise, and other days not few.

Again, on leaving supper, and saying grace and prayers,

To evening recreation the Carmelite repairs.

Then all, at seven-thirty, go with sisterly accord,

To ask the help and blessing of our most gracious Lord.

In the Compline Hour, which closed the Office of the day, -

Most devoutly ‘tis recited, as befits the final lay.

Once more is blessing given by our Mother to her nuns,

Then each one to her sanctum with religious haste returns;

And in prayer or pious reading, when the bell for Matins rings,

She goes to praise her Maker, in the Psalms and hymns she sings.

When Matins and Lauds are ended, examen must be made,

On the day’s thoughts, words and actions, as down in Rule is laid.

At half past ten quite often, though some nights at eleven,

The Carmelite leaves the choir, which is portal sure of heaven,-

Though fain would love keep vigil, to her cell she must retire,

To take her needed rest, as stern Nature’s law require.

To Jesus and to Mary, a brief prayer may be said,

To beg their loving care and blessing, before she seeks her bed.

To end the day most perfectly, she now in Jesus sleeps,

But e’en in sleep we find how her heart its vigil keeps,

For she turns to Him most fondly, should she waken through the night,

With loving aspirations, which betray the spirit’s flight.

Thus do glide of days so peaceful, ‘mid silence, work and prayer,

Ours indeed is life most happy, since each one’s only care,

Is to daily grow in union with Jesus, or sole Love,

And thus taste here in Carmel, the joys of heaven above.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

PRAYERS OF THE DISCALCED CARMELITE NUNS

O my God, I wake on this break of Day to think of Thee, to love Thee and to serve Thee.  Behold me, O my God, Thy holy will shall be mine, I will observe it with all my heart the whole of this day.    

WHILE DRESSING     

Lord, prepare my soul interiorly while I prepare my body to go to Choir.  Clothe me, O my God, with the fervor of Thy Divine Spirit and with the precious gifts of Thy grace

PUTTING ON THE HABIT                                    

Clothe me, O my God, with Thy holy religious practices so that I may appear before Thee such as our habit and profession require.                                       

THE GIRDLE                                                           

Unite me to Thee, O my God in an     intimate union and attach me to Thee in the bonds of charity the links of which may never break   

THE TOQUE                                                                                  

Conside, O my soul, the whiteness of this toque represents the purity of conscience you should have in order to please God.  O Lord, grant me this grace, to die rather than to defile my soul by any sin. Purify it in Thy Precious Blood and grant me perfect contrition for my sins.       

THE VEIL                                                                                                        

This veil should teach me, Lord, that I should die to the world and to myself so as to live no longer but for Thee.  Grant me, therefore, the grace that nothing of this miserable life may remain in me, which prevents my union with Thee. 

THE SCAPULAR                                                                                                                       

Lord, grant me the grace to carry with joy and love Thy yoke and burden all the days of my life.

THE MANTLE

O spotless Lamb of God, adorn Me with the purity with which all those are adorned who follow Thee.

MORNING PRAYER

Live, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, now and at each hour! Into the wounds of Jesus and in the sweet hearts of Mary and Joseph I commend myself.  O my God, I offer Thee all the movements, my life, my work and my death.  In the name of Jesus and in the hearts of Mary and Saint Joseph I wish this day to commence, offer and terminate everything.  Lord I unite myself to all the Holy Communions, to all the holy Sacrifices of the Mass, to all the good works, and to all the indulgences of the Catholic Church in which I wish to participate and apply to the souls in Purgatory.

GOING OUT OF THE CELL

Do me the favor, my Lord and my God, that my heart remain in solitude, never losing Thy divine presence, but that I may ever remain united to Thee, my Way, my Truth and my Life.  All for Jesus and Mary! Judge me not, O my God according to the purity of Thy Eternal Son, but consult rather Thy mercy in my judgment and place the blood and death of Jesus Christ between Thee and Thy poor creature. Amen, sweet Jesus, Amen.

Source:

Carmel of St. Joseph

Seattle, Washington, USA

• 3 weeks later...
Chiquitunga

Regarding the unique custom of the nuns in Italy (& some of their foundations) pinning wooden crosses to their scapulars, here are some Italian Discalced Carmelite Nuns' documents from the 17th century. I skimmed through them a bit and tried to look out for anything regarding this practice, from the little I could understand, but didn't find anything yet.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=VYufxZZlp5sC&rdid=book-VYufxZZlp5sC&rdot=1

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Carmelitane_scalze_Ordinario_o_ceremoniale_delle_m?id=GwJlJJdpZ0AC&feature=more_from_author

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Carmelitane_scalze_Compendio_de_gli_essercizii_che?id=7sd1BylvbNYC&feature=more_from_author&rdid=book-7sd1BylvbNYC&rdot=1

Gracian, again, I'll let you know if I ever find anything on this. My guess is that perhaps it was something adopted when the Spanish and Italian OCDs split into two congregations in like 1600 (& didn't reunite until somewhat recently) But maybe as you mentioned once, it was something the Genoa nuns adopted at the beginning of their foundation in 1590 as a sign of their missionary spirit, since they were the first OCD Carmel founded outside Spain...  :detective:

Chiquitunga

image011.jpg

I was thinking this picture of Blessed Elia proves that the wooden cross was also worn by Novices, until I looked it up and see she was in Carmel right after the time when temporary profession began in the Church (in 1917) so she may be in First Vows in this picture. http://ocarm.org/en/content/liturgy/bl-elia-st-clement-ocd-virgin-m  So there's a chance the wooden cross could be something given at First Profession. Anyway, just some thoughts.. 

Here is the part in the Constitutions about receiving the Habit - https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=VYufxZZlp5sC&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&authuser=0&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA106 No mention of the cross put on the scapular. 

graciandelamadrededios

Regarding the unique custom of the nuns in Italy (& some of their foundations) pinning wooden crosses to their scapulars, here are some Italian Discalced Carmelite Nuns' documents from the 17th century. I skimmed through them a bit and tried to look out for anything regarding this practice, from the little I could understand, but didn't find anything yet.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=VYufxZZlp5sC&rdid=book-VYufxZZlp5sC&rdot=1

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Carmelitane_scalze_Ordinario_o_ceremoniale_delle_m?id=GwJlJJdpZ0AC&feature=more_from_author

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Carmelitane_scalze_Compendio_de_gli_essercizii_che?id=7sd1BylvbNYC&feature=more_from_author&rdid=book-7sd1BylvbNYC&rdot=1

Gracian, again, I'll let you know if I ever find anything on this. My guess is that perhaps it was something adopted when the Spanish and Italian OCDs split into two congregations in like 1600 (& didn't reunite until somewhat recently) But maybe as you mentioned once, it was something the Genoa nuns adopted at the beginning of their foundation in 1590 as a sign of their missionary spirit, since they were the first OCD Carmel founded outside Spain...  :detective:

Hi Chiqui!

We can only speculate at this point. 

A friend told me that it could be a custom of the Mantuan Reform and the Nuns kept it as a sign that there Carmel has been reformed following the Constitutions of St. Teresa.

I also think, just like you, that the wooden cross worn outside the scapular was to signify that the Carmelite Nuns in Italy are under the Italian Congregation and are independent from the Spanish Congregation.

I consulted "Journey to Carith: The Sources and Story of the Discalced Carmelite" by Fr. Peter-Thomas Rohrback , OCD.  This is a great source of information on anything about Carmel.  This book was recommended to me by a Discalced Carmelite Extern Sister during one of my visits to Baguio Carmel.

While checking my copy of the book, I found the following:

“In 1590, Doria finally acquiesced to the demands of Marguerite Spinola, a wealthy Genoese widow then travelling to Spain, who had been asking him for a foundation of Discalced Nuns in Genoa, promising to subsidize it from her considerable fortune.  A group of nuns was sent from the convent of Malagon, arriving in Genoa in December of 1590.  After Doria’s death, the convent in Genoa became the mother foundation for a succession of other convents in Italy, and at Avignon in Frnace, and at Vienna in Austria.” Page 230

“When Peter of the Mother of God first came to Rome he discovered a group of nuns who called themselves Discalced Carmelites living in Pincian Hill.  These Nuns, whose only connection with the Order was an acquaintance with the writings of St. Teresa, has been founded by a Spanish Oratorian, Francis de Soto.  Peter took the disorganized community in hand, instructed it in the Carmelite traditions, and officially incorporated it into the Order.  The convent, which soon became one of the most celebrated in the Eternal City, was expertly guided by Peter, and later by Jerome Gracian during the years he spent in Rome following his release from captivity in North Africa.  The Roman convent and the Genoese convent were nucleaus for the expansion of the nuns in Italy and southern Europe.”  Page 232

“A number of convents were established in other parts of South America suring the seventeenth century, but these were usually founded by local bishops who gathered a group of pious women and instructed them in the Carmelite life without any direct foundation from another convent.  Thus Bogota in Colombia was founded in 1606 and Leiva in 1646; and a convent was established at Lima in Pero in 1643.  A number of foundations in other countries were made by the Lima convent – Quito in Ecuador in 1653, Sucre in Bolivia in 1665, Guatemala in 1677, and Ayacucho in Peru in 1683.  Most of these convents endured, and during the twentieth century they came under a more direct supervision of the Order.  On the other hand, the convents in Mexic, beginning with the first one at Pueblo in 1604, were founded by the Carmelite friars, who usually selected the candidates from among the Spanish colonists in New Spain.” Pages 271

graciandelamadrededios

I was thinking this picture of Blessed Elia proves that the wooden cross was also worn by Novices, until I looked it up and see she was in Carmel right after the time when temporary profession began in the Church (in 1917) so she may be in First Vows in this picture. http://ocarm.org/en/content/liturgy/bl-elia-st-clement-ocd-virgin-m  So there's a chance the wooden cross could be something given at First Profession. Anyway, just some thoughts.. 

Here is the part in the Constitutions about receiving the Habit - https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=VYufxZZlp5sC&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&authuser=0&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA106 No mention of the cross put on the scapular. 

Monastero+di+Legnano+fratie+monache.jpg

As you can see from the photos above, the novices are wearing the wooden crosses outside the scapulars just like the solemn professed nuns.  This photo is from Legnano Carmel which photos are all available in google.

graciandelamadrededios

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - the nuns and novices are seen wearing wooden crosses outside their scapulars:

2-3-b.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - the nuns and novices are seen wearing wooden crosses outside their scapulars:

3-4-b.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - Choir

3-1-b.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - Cell

4-4-b.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - Extern Sister

6-3-b.jpg

6-2-b.jpg

6-0-b.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - Cell

39-o-08-28-DSCN1470.JPG

Chiquitunga

Monastero+di+Legnano+fratie+monache.jpg

As you can see from the photos above, the novices are wearing the wooden crosses outside the scapulars just like the solemn professed nuns.  This photo is from Legnano Carmel which photos are all available in google.

True, but we don't know for sure if those white veils are Novices or in First Vows. 

inperpetuity

Photos of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Czech Republic - Extern Sister

6-3-b.jpg

6-2-b.jpg

6-0-b.jpg

The altar is scary.