An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Customs

graciandelamadrededios

at the Carmel of the Holy Spirit in Los Andes (community St. Teresa of Los Andes was in, although it's a new monastery, original one is a museum now)

1779255_401481433340644_1454235622933538

1501680_401481436673977_2086213428663507

pictures of Sts. Teresa and John of the Cross are from the original monastery & were in the movie :like:

13998_401481496673971_641504486092638626

• 4 months later...

bump!

Just wondering about the custom of wearing a flower crown at profession such as when did it start?  Why do they do it and so forth.  I know the CFR sisters wear a crown of thorns and if Carmelites are wearing roses that those have less obvious thorns but those two Communities seem to be the only ones who adorn their heads with anything during vows am I right?

truthfinder

bump!

Just wondering about the custom of wearing a flower crown at profession such as when did it start?  Why do they do it and so forth.  I know the CFR sisters wear a crown of thorns and if Carmelites are wearing roses that those have less obvious thorns but those two Communities seem to be the only ones who adorn their heads with anything during vows am I right?

​Simple answer: no.  I think we could spend an incredible amount of time posting profession pictures of nuns wearing crowns of thorns or flowers.  The Benedictines of Mary wear flowers, in the Dominican ceremony they have a choice between thorns and flowers, many Poor Clare communities do it.  Each one has a different approach to it, but it is actually pretty common (particularly among more cloistered communities).  Hopefully Sr. Mary Catherine (@smcatherine) will come in with the Dominican version of this, and an explanation of the spirituality - but I believe it dates back to the 13th century for some communities. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

bump!

​I'm pretty sure I've read about Benedictines Communities that do this. (Didn't the Benedictines of Mary wear flower crowns when the Community made their first Solemn Proession together?) . And, (on this I am less certain), I seem to remember seeing pictures of PCC nuns wearing a crown of flowers at First Profession. In fact. one of the only old, worldwide Orders that doesn't seem to commonly wear a crown of flowers at Profession is the Dominicans. (And, even then, I am not sure if there aren't specific Dominican Communities do this.) Sister Mary Catharine can set us straight on this.

I've always thought that wearing a crown of roses/flowers at profession (especially first profession) is a lovely custom. The newly professed nun usually looks joyful anyway, and the crown of flowers only adds to her beauty (not so much "beauty" in worldly terms, but spiritual beauty). I wore a crown of flowers for my wedding (attached to a veil at the back), and I loved how it looked.  :love:

I'll look forward to an answer from one of our "Carmelite experts" on VS as to when this custom may have begun among the Carmelites.

truthfinder

Yes, I went back and checked, and it doesn't seem that Domincans do this at profession - it seems to be part of the invesiture rite for those who have kept it.  Granted I did find this picture of a Dominican sister on her profession day

sinsinawa_vietnam_profession.jpg

thanks guys!  I obviously haven't looked at many profession pics!

I think we could spend an incredible amount of time posting profession pictures of nuns wearing crowns of thorns or flowers.

Im surprised there already isn't a thread :|

truthfinder
thanks guys!  I obviously haven't looked at many profession pics!

Im surprised there already isn't a thread :|

There was a wedding dress thread but no crown thread (except for Spanish Crowned nuns, but those were typically paintings)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, and no! Choosing the crown of thorns when receiving the habit is a "late" addition and comes from something in the life of St. Catherine of Siena. It's not part of the ceremonial now. SOME monasteries crown the sisters at solemn profession, some don't. We crown our sisters at jubilees.
I have to admit it, I really wanted the crown at profession!

IgnatiusofLoyola

How devoted to Mary are the Carmelites?

​The quick answer to your question is: Very! Devotion to Mary is a integral part of their charism.

I'll leave it to the Carmelite "experts" on VS to give more complete answers.

BarbTherese

How devoted to Mary are the Carmelites?

I thought the pic below says it all as soon as I saw it.  The pic is from a thread by deusluxmea into Vocation Station. Thead is titled "Photos of Brooklyn Discalced Carmelite Monastery Chapel. There are some other really lovely images in that thread.

tppBHO6.jpg

AccountDeleted

I know they are a;; Marys I am wondering what practices they do in honor of Mary.

​It depends on the community - each one has its own traditions and customs. Some of the customs I have witnessed have been: a different hymn to Mary every evening throughout the month of May, Rosaries daily during the month of October dedicated to Mary, Salve Regina every Saturday evening, Angelus 3 timers per day except during Easter season when Regina Caeli is recited, Scapular Novena of Our Lady of Mt Carmel, various devotional prayers and of course, the Magnificat.