An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayerful Venting Over Matisyahu

Seven77

I was shocked to hear this but I don't necessarily think that his leaving Orthodox Judaism is on account of "selling out". Has he said something to the contrary? Like, "Well, I realized I'd get a lot more publicity and money if I ditched the whole Hasidic thing, so I did". I kinda' doubt that.

Perhaps he simply "chazar b'she'ala" ("returned in question"), as secular Israelis say (in contrast to "chazar b'tshuva", "returned in answer", as Orthodox say when someone becomes Orthodox). 

Noel's angel

There is something sad alright, but it isn't the fact he shaved his beard. It's the fact that some people seem to think they have the right to get annoyed and 'vent' about what he has chosen to do.

Been listening to them from the beginning. I'm pretty sure. ;)

They haven't been the same since Peter left... Songs aren't as amusing...

When did you become telepathic?

Oh wait, you're not...so what gives you the right to judge his faith choices and deem him a "sellout"?

Nihil Obstat

What...he's not Japanese?  

You cannot properly pronounce that name in Japanese anyway.

Oh wait, you're not...so what gives you the right to judge his faith choices and deem him a "sellout"?

Whoa...who's judging? I didn't deem anyone anything. Don't judge my perceptions and opinions please.

Whoa...who's judging? I didn't deem anyone anything. Don't judge my perceptions and opinions please.

There is something sad alright, but it isn't the fact he shaved his beard. It's the fact that some people seem to think they have the right to get annoyed and 'vent' about what he has chosen to do.

Some people seem to think they have the right to get annoyed and 'vent' about what others have chosen to do. Quite right.

Point taken with no sarcasm intended :)

Sometimes, one's faith must be shook--and then the storm settles, and they are led to the fullness of truth.

That is the response i was hoping for. :)

Noel's angel

Some people seem to think they have the right to get annoyed and 'vent' about what others have chosen to do. Quite right.

Point taken with no sarcasm intended :)

Not when it is something like shaving off a beard. Yes, rant and rave about how your government is ruining your life or how your boss won't give you a break at work. But the guy shaved his beard and made a personal decision about his faith and you're getting your knickers in a twist.

am I high or has there been hostility/tension over really trifling things cropping up on phatmass? It's not the outright brutality of the political season but my sixth sense is picking up on a subtle agitation.

Just checking to see if my pistovometer needs to be calibrated or sumn.