An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Of The Sacred Heart Of Florence

Chiquitunga

Chiquitunga

Lillabett's thread was archived, where I intended to post - http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/109147-religious-of-the-sacred-heart/ So here's a new one :like:

contemplativa8.png

vocazioni6.jpg

contemplativa9.jpg

apostolate2.jpg

I noticed a new video on them and their school in Florence. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFOR29cIFV4

And an article on one of their American vocations (note: all of their Sisters are addressed "Mother") ~ http://www.theflorentine.net/articles/article-view.asp?issuetocId=6463

Happy Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus! :heart:

contemplativa3.jpg

http://www.sacrocuore.com/

dymphnamaria

Thanks for sharing!

I never heard of a community addressing all the sisters 'Mother' until this one. Do you know the reason beyond this?

reminiscere

In many Benedictine communities all the Sisters are addressed as "mother" instead of "sister" or "dame." Also in Spanish, it's common to call nuns "madre" instead of "hermana." 

inperpetuity

Happy Feast Day!  Thank you for posting this.  This is truly wonderful that a reformed community has been founded.  And yes, it was always a tradition in the Religious of the Sacred Heart for the sisters to be called "Mother".

When I first read "The Way of Divine Love", I wanted to find and enter this congregation, but to my disappointment what I found was not what I was looking for.  This is a wonderful surprise. 

Edited by inperpetuity

FutureFranciscan:)

Thanks for sharing!

I never heard of a community addressing all the sisters 'Mother' until this one. Do you know the reason beyond this?

I know that in Rome after a sister turns 45 she is referred to as mother

Edited by FutureFranciscan:)

Chiquitunga

In many Benedictine communities all the Sisters are addressed as "mother" instead of "sister" or "dame." Also in Spanish, it's common to call nuns "madre" instead of "hermana." 

Yes, and many times in Spain and Latin American countries Discalced Carmelite Nuns are called Madres Carmelitas Descalzas. Here's a little about the particulars of why the RSCJs do this too, http://friendsofthesacredheart.org/spouses.html (<-- great site on them, btw) and another, http://www.privateschoolistitutosacrocuorefirenze.com/

It's so neat they offer accommodation there too, besides the school ~ http://www.Sacrocuore.com/ospitalita/index-en.html

To go there on a little retreat...  :cloud9: and then visit the incorrupt bodies of St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi, http://maddalenadepazzi.jimdo.com/contatti/ & St. Teresa Margaret, http://mikaelaitalianadventures.blogspot.com/2012/03/shrine-of-st-teresa-margaret-redi.html (<-- this is a particularly observant Carmel I heard, btw)  :heart:

Edited by Chiquitunga

Happy Feast Day!  Thank you for posting this.  This is truly wonderful that a reformed community has been founded.  And yes, it was always a tradition in the Religious of the Sacred Heart for the sisters to be called "Mother".

IF these nuns are a branch of the RSCJ founded in 1800 by St. Madeleine Sophie Barat (and I don't know if they are or aren't, although the name is nearly the same and the habit is nearly the same) - 

And IF these nuns have continued pre-Vatican II traditions of the RSCJs (and I don't know if they do or don't) - 

In the RSCJs, there were two "levels" of religious - and I'm sure that's not the word they used. There were 'sisters' and 'mothers.' The religious were always known by their last names - Sister Smith, Mother Johnson, Sister Jones, Mother O'Malley, and so forth. The religious in this order never took names in religion.  

The less well-educated members were addressed as Sister Last-Name. They did not teach. They minded the door (portress), swept, laundered, cleaned, cooked, and so forth. The more educated religious were addressed as Mother Last-Name. They taught (basically K through university) and held administrative positions. There were always many Mothers and only a few Sisters at any given RSCJ convent, so many people were unaware of the difference. Both "levels" were full members of the order. 

It could be that the group in Florence decided not to update with the rest of the order in the post-Vatican II era. 

Sr. MMcM RSCJ

I am a Religious of the Sacred Heart of the United States Province.  So I am able to explain why we used to be called "Mother."  

Madeleine Sophie Barat, now canonized Saint of the Church, founded the Society in France, in 1800, in the aftermath of the French Revolution.  Religious Orders were not welcome and were under suspicion.  So we kept our own names and wore the clothing of widows, as we began the work of education in order to make known the love of God revealed in the Heart of Jesus Christ.  

We understand our Vow of Chastity as striving to love those entrusted to our care by emulating, in our limited human ways, the unconditional love of God revealed in Jesus Christ.  We were to be “as Mothers” to the children and young adults who came to our schools and often lived with us.  Thus we were called "Ma Mere" and then "Mother" in the various languages wherever the Society went.  Today we are all over the world, with our Mother House and Superior General in Rome.  We strive to live our consecration to the Heart of Jesus fully and love our motto:  Cor Unum et Anima Una in Corde Jesu.  One Heart and One Mind in the Heart of Jesus.  So today is our special Feast and all around the globe, we renewed our Vows.  We gave up the designation of "Mother" in response to the request of the Church in Vatican II, but we live the spirit of what it was intended to signify as best we can, wherever we are.   

Sr. MMcM, RSCJ

Edited by Sr. MMcM RSCJ

Sr. MMcM - 

Thanks for the elaboration. My family has some connections to the order and its schools, and I have great admiration for Mother Duchesne. Having read a biography of her (the abridged Callan), I know some about the early days of the order. 

In my earlier post (#8 above), I speculated that in the (post-?)Vatican II era a group of sisters may have decided to stick with the older traditions rather than updating. Do you know whether that happened? I've never heard of that, but anything's possible. Or are the sisters pictured  in #1 above some other Societe du Sacre Coeur de Jesus than the RSCJs?

Sr. MMcM RSCJ

Yes, Luigi, it is indeed the same Religious Order:  The Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, founded by St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, in 1800.  And, yes, Mother Duchesne--now, as of 1988, Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne--is one of the first members, dear friend of Mother Barat, who begged and begged to be sent to "the New World," was finally granted permission, and came to the United States in 1818.  When I think of the two of them, Madeleine Sophie and Rose Phillipine, I always am amazed anew how true it is that "Saints make Saints."

You mentioned you know about Philippine through Mother Louise Callan's biography.  I, too, learned much of what I know about her from that book!  Currently, some Theologians and Historians among the RSCJs are doing additional scholarly work on the two Saints, since we not only have their letters, but also considerable primary documents and archival materials from Missouri, Lousiana, et cetera.  So I believe a new volume might be coming. . . . 

Thank you,

M. McM rscj

I am a little confused. I discerned with the RSCJ's a long time ago. (In the US) I visited St. Rose Philippine's shrine (and saw the small cupboard/room she lived in), I went to Boston, San Diego and Chicago to name a few places my discernment took me. St. Louis was very close to the shrine for this wonderful saint, and if I remember correctly, at that time, the council (at least for the Us) lived there and had a nice reception for all of us on the St. Patrick's discernment weekend. So, I am very familiar with the community and have kept in touch with some of the Sisters I met. It seems to me - from reading this thread - that the RSCJ's in Florence are possibly a splinter group of the international RSCJ'S. (I know they use little letters but out of respect, I am using capitals.) Is this the case? After spending so much time with this particular community, I find it very hard to believe this Florence group sprang forth organically from their community. However, like all things, I could very well be wrong and this is something new I was not exposed to.

I hold the RSCJ community in the highest regard for their impact on education, especially for women, is without par and we continue to reap the benefits of their work today. My reasons for not entering are purely spiritual & I would be happy to share them privately if anyone is interested.

As for the use of Mother...some communities use "Mother," when a NUN makes her solemn vows. This distinguishes the temporary progressed from the solemnly. This practice is common in some Benedictine orders.

God bless, and I hope Sister can answer my question.

Chiquitunga

It seems to me - from reading this thread - that the RSCJ's in Florence are possibly a splinter group of the international RSCJ'S. (I know they use little letters but out of respect, I am using capitals.) Is this the case? After spending so much time with this particular community, I find it very hard to believe this Florence group sprang forth organically from their community. However, like all things, I could very well be wrong and this is something new I was not exposed to.

It says here that they were established as an independent house in 1992, http://www.sacrocuore.com/comunita/index-en.html  It is not 100% clear that they were part of the RSCJs before, but it seems so... :think:

I want to go there on retreat and visit Florence! :cloud9:

reminiscere

Inperpetuity, you are not the only one!

There was a German woman, a later vocation, who had the same desire. After reading The Way of Divine Love and wanting to enter the congregation, she contacted them. But, due to their post-Vatican II updating, she did not recognize the same community as she had read about. She soon discovered that God was calling her to a wonderful Carmel in the U.S. where she died holily a few years ago.

May she intercede for you, and for all of us, before the throne of her Divine Spouse!

When I first read "The Way of Divine Love", I wanted to find and enter this congregation, but to my disappointment what I found was not what I was looking for.  This is a wonderful surprise. 

inperpetuity

Inperpetuity, you are not the only one!

There was a German woman, a later vocation, who had the same desire. After reading The Way of Divine Love and wanting to enter the congregation, she contacted them. But, due to their post-Vatican II updating, she did not recognize the same community as she had read about. She soon discovered that God was calling her to a wonderful Carmel in the U.S. where she died holily a few years ago.

May she intercede for you, and for all of us, before the throne of her Divine Spouse!

Reminiscere, that is incredible.  Yes, thank you and may she rest in peace! Do you happen to know which Carmel she entered?  I too turned toward Carmel, but have not yet found the one.