Colored Photos of the Redemptoristine Nuns before Vatican II

1951-06-17-p1-FrOHara-RedemptoristineNun

First-OSsRs-571.jpg

1+English+Redemptoristines.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

More photos:

31+English+Redemptoristines.jpg

32+English+Redemptoristines.jpg

This short Article About the English Redemptoristines was written by Rev. Fr Wilfrid Lescher, O.P. in 1901

REDEMPTORISTINES OR NUNS OF THE MOST HOLY REDEEMER
CONTEMPLATIVE ENCLOSED STRICTLY
Founded 1731

MOTTO : Copiosa apud eum redemptio

The object of the Order [...] is to honour and imitate the Hidden Life of our Lord, and to assist the Church in all her wants, and the Redemptorist Fathers in their apostolic labours for the salvation of souls, by prayer and other exercises of the contemplative life. The interior spirit is one of self-sacrifice, atonement, and reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. The nuns are required to cultivate a simple, humble, cheerful spirit, and to strive to advance in perfection by imitating as far as possible the virtues practised by our Divine Lord in His Hidden Life, joined to an ardent zeal for the salvation of the poor abandoned souls, to whom St. Alphonsus and his sons have consecrated their lives.

A full community consists of thirty-three professed nuns in honour of the thirty-three years of our Lord s life on earth, and seven lay-sisters. The Rule is based on that of St. Augustine ; it was approved and confirmed by Pope Benedict XIV., in June, 1750. The novitiate lasts two years, one of which is spent as a postulant, wearing a simple brown habit, and the other clothed in the habit of the Order without scapular or black veil. The entrance is a public ceremony. The postulant is conducted by the priest from the church to the door of enclosure, where she is received by the Reverend Mother and the community, who gives her the kiss of peace, and leads her away in procession singing the psalm, In exitu Israel de Aegypto. After this the postulant does not again leave the enclosure, the ceremonies of clothing and profession are performed at the choir-grating. The austerities prescribed by the Rule can be performed by any one with an ordinarily good constitution.

The habit of the choir-nuns is red, in memory of the Passion of our Lord, with an azure blue scapular, in memory of our Lady, to the front of which is attached a small oval picture of the Most Holy Redeemer. Over the habit is worn a blue mantle. The guimpe is of white linen finely plaited ; a white linen veil is worn under the black veil, part of the latter can be drawn down over the face; closed sandals of white leather cover the feet. At profession the nuns receive a gold ring representing two hands clasped in token of fidelity. A fifteen-decade rosary, with a large medal bearing the instruments of the Passion, hangs from the girdle. The lay-sisters habit is the same as that of the choir-nuns, except that they have no mantle or black veil.

The Divine Office is recited in choir, the Gregorian chant is used on festivals; daily Benediction and frequent Exposition are the custom in all their churches, which are open to the public; by these means the nuns try to increase the devotion of people living in the world to the Blessed Sacrament.

Each monastery of the Order is independent and under the Bishop of the diocese in which it is situated.

There is only one monastery of Redemptoristines in England, that at Clapham, which was founded in 1897 by Rev. Mother M. Gertrude O.SS.R. She came from Dublin with fourteen sisters in 1897 and started the community in Clapham London. The community moved to Chudleigh Devon in 1925.

http://papastronsay.com/resources/redemptoristinetexts/redemptoristinetexts.blogspot.com/p/redemptoristine-convent-chudleigh.html

graciandelamadrededios

RULES AND CONSTITUTIONS OF THE ORDER OF THE MOST HOLY REDEEMER (1934)

THE RULE

CHAPTER XIII

ON THE HABIT OF THE SISTERS  

The Choir Sisters will wear a habit of ordinary material, with scapular and mantle as has been customary in the convents up to the present. They will wear closed shoes, or monastic sandals of white leather with cork soles; these shall be thick, but without high heels.

The veils will be ordinary linen cloth, neither starched nor ornamented. The black veil will be thick and not transparent. Finally, they will wear on their breast, attached to the scapular, a picture of the Most Holy Redeemer painted on copper, oval in shape, and about 51/2 inches long.

The Novices will wear neither scapular nor picture until they are professed.

The Educandes may wear a habit of brown serge. The Superior will be careful not to permit anything vain or superfluous in their manner of dressing.

The Lay Sisters will wear a habit of the same shape and color as that of the Choir Sisters, except that they will not wear a mantle. Their habit and scapular will be shorter than that of the Choir Sisters. They will not receive veil when they are professed, but only the picture of Our Lord of brass.

The Rosary with the Mysteries of the Passion which they will wear attached to the cincture, will be of plain wood, or at most, of “ Coco ” beads.

THE CONSTITUIONS

CONSTITUTION 19

THE NUMBER OF THE NUNS AND THEIR HABIT

145.   The number of Choir Sisters in each house of the Order is fixed at thirty-three, and the number of Lay - Sister at seven; however, in case of necessity or infirmity of the latter, another may be received as a supernumerary.

146.   The Nuns will be clothed in ordinary plain cloth, according to the Rule. The habit will be dark red color as at present; it will not be more than thirteen feet in width; the sleeves will be about twenty-one inches broad, and will reach to the end of the fingers. The scapular and blue mantle will hang about five inches from the ground. Over the scapular they will wear on the breast a picture of the Most Holy Redeemer painted on copper, oval in shape, and about 5 ½ inches long, and with a border of the same stuff as the scapular. The cincture will be the same color and of the same material as the habit.

147.   The sandals or slippers will be white and of the same shape as used hitherto, with white stockings. The Sisters will not seek to be distinguished for their clothing, but rather for their virtue.  The guimpes will not be starched, and will be about 31 inches long and about 27 inches wide; the veils will be 45 ½ inches long and 21 ½ inches wide; the veils will be the same size and not transparent.

148.   At the time of their Profession they will receive a gold ring ornamented with two hands clasped, but without an emerald or any other precious stone. The Lay - Sisters will have a silver ring. They will wear sandals the same as the Choir Sisters.  The Novices will wear neither scapular nor veil. The Educandes will wear, like the Religious, the habit scapular with simple collar of linen or muslin.

149.   The Choir Sisters, Novices, and Lay – Sisters will wear a Rosary at their cincture, with a bronze medal, on which are represented the instruments of the Passion of Jesus Christ.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

inperpetuity

Ah..., Redemptoristines :love:   They were the 2nd order I looked into but again what I found was not what I was looking for nor what Our Lord was calling me to .  Thanks for posting this.

photosynthesis

Those are some gorgeous habits.  I think there is an order in Australia that still wears the full habit and it looks like a beautiful community.  Why nuns traded in their beautiful habits for frumpy getups, I'll never know

photosynthesis

Those are some gorgeous habits.  I think there is an order in Australia that still wears the full habit and it looks like a beautiful community.  Why nuns traded in their beautiful habits for frumpy getups, I'll never know

graciandelamadrededios

The Redemptoristine Nuns in Australia still wears the red tunic - long and blue scapular.  However, they have modified the headdress; the guimpe was replaced with a white collar and the veil was modified.  Their community is struggling with vocations.

redines2.jpg

There is a very conservative community in Brazil that still wears the Traditional Habit of the Redemptoristine Nuns

DSC09304.jpg

DSC09306.JPG

Redemptoristines%2BBrazil%2B%25288%2529.

Redemptoristines%2B%25287%2529.jpg

Redemptoristine%2BJubilee%2B%25282%2529.

4+The+Final+Touches+as+the+Statue+is+pla

Redemptoristine%2BJubilee%2B%25289%2529.

Redemptoristine%2BJubilee%2B%252834%2529

Redemptoristine%2BJubilee%2B%252829%2529

graciandelamadrededios

I love the traditional Habit of the Redemptoristine Nuns and I am glad that Brazil still wears them!

The Documents of the Second Vatican Council stipulated that habits must be updated. 

Please see below:

DECREE ON
THE ADAPTATION AND RENEWAL OF RELIGIOUS LIFE
PERFECTAE CARITATIS
PROCLAIMED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON OCTOBER 28, 1965

17. The religious habit, an outward mark of consecration to God, should be simple and modest, poor and at the same becoming. In addition it must meet the requirements of health and be suited to the circumstances of time and place and to the needs of the ministry involved. The habits of both men and women religious which do not conform to these norms must be changed.

truthfinder

Those trad CSsr's have a crazy grill - it's just drilled holes in a steel plate. The blog that posted those photo's, though, said that the sisters are allowed during Mass to stand/kneel right at the grill so they can see. But it would still rather be looking through a peep-hole the entire time.  God bless them!

graciandelamadrededios

Those trad CSsr's have a crazy grill - it's just drilled holes in a steel plate. The blog that posted those photo's, though, said that the sisters are allowed during Mass to stand/kneel right at the grill so they can see. But it would still rather be looking through a peep-hole the entire time.  God bless them!

What CCsR? You mean OSsR? 

The community of Redemptoristine in Brazil is following what is prescribed in the Rule and Constitutions of the Nuns of the Ordeer of the Most Holy Redeemer approved in 1934.  That is the reason why the grille has perforated metal plates. 

Chiquitunga

The community of Redemptoristine in Brazil is following what is prescribed in the Rule and Constitutions of the Nuns of the Ordeer of the Most Holy Redeemer approved in 1934.  That is the reason why the grille has perforated metal plates. 

Oh wow, is that written specifically in their Rule and Constitutions? intense  :ninja: I'd prefer the double grilles, although... gracian do you know this? I heard before VII no cloistered nuns would ever see the Mass anyway. The curtain would be closed for instance if the choir was on the side.

But after VII (after some directive during that time) they could then view it, which meant opening the curtains for some places, and for others, many of them transformed what used to be a small sacristy area on the side of the sanctuary to another Nuns' Choir for Holy Mass, as their other Choir was behind the altar. So in many places today (many Carmels, all French in the US, Rockford & Cleveland PCCs for instance) they have two Choirs now like that.

I guess my question is, what particular directive was this? Had you heard of it before? I heard this from the nuns at Elysburg Carmel, which is what they currently have (two Choirs) although I would guess they will not do that in their new monastery, but have it like Valparaiso, NE .. just on the side.  

graciandelamadrededios

Oh wow, is that written specifically in their Rule and Constitutions? intense  :ninja: I'd prefer the double grilles, although... gracian do you know this? I heard before VII no cloistered nuns would ever see the Mass anyway. The curtain would be closed for instance if the choir was on the side.

But after VII (after some directive during that time) they could then view it, which meant opening the curtains for some places, and for others, many of them transformed what used to be a small sacristy area on the side of the sanctuary to another Nuns' Choir for Holy Mass, as their other Choir was behind the altar. So in many places today (many Carmels, all French in the US, Rockford & Cleveland PCCs for instance) they have two Choirs now like that.

I guess my question is, what particular directive was this? Had you heard of it before? I heard this from the nuns at Elysburg Carmel, which is what they currently have (two Choirs) although I would guess they will not do that in their new monastery, but have it like Valparaiso, NE .. just on the side.  

Yes, The Rule and Constitutions of the Nuns of the Order of the Most Holy Redeemer mentioned them separately in the Rule and another one is stipulated on the Constitutions.

Cloistered Nuns can hardly see what is going on during the Mass; the choir is darkened and the curtains are pulled down, the Nuns wear the enclosure veil or great veil if the choir curtains are drawn apart.

After Vatican II, the Cloistered Nuns are encourage to participate actively in the mass on the cloistered side of the monastery and I forgot which directive it came. 

Probably, Sr. Mary Catherine, OP can help us with this.

truthfinder

What CCsR? You mean OSsR? 

Oh dear, I knew it looked funny when I wrote it.  I knew it was written into their Rule and Constitutions, but it definitely looks to be unique to them. 

And about the Carmelites, even before Vat II, wasn't that French Carmels had the nuns behind the altar and the Spanish at a right angle to the altar (for a lack of a better term).  So some nuns would have seen something, even if they had their enclosure/communion veils on?

dymphnamaria

The Redemptoristine Nuns in Australia still wears the red tunic - long and blue scapular. However, they have modified the headdress; the guimpe was replaced with a white collar and the veil was modified. Their community is struggling with vocations.

I have heard from someone who have visited them that the Redemtoristines in Australia are under canonical prohibition because there are only three nuns in the community.

graciandelamadrededios

I have heard from someone who have visited them that the Redemtoristines in Australia are under canonical prohibition because there are only three nuns in the community.

What a sad news....