CONSTITUTIONS

OF THE

ORDER OF THE MOST HOLY REDEEMER

SAINT ALPHONSUS CONVENT

SAINT ALPHONSUS ROAD, DRUMCONDRA, DUBLIN

RULES

CHAPTER XXIII

ON THE FORM OF GRATING

Two iron gratings will be placed in the parlour at the distance of a span of one from the other; moreover, on the inside there will be a metal screen pierced with little holes together, so that Nuns may not be seen by visitors.

In the lower choir there will be a small door in the middle of the grating, which will be opened for ceremonies, as for example a Clothing.  In the middle of this door will be an opening, oval in shape, through which the priest can give Holy Communion.

The grating through which the Sisters converse with strangers will be of the same form as those just described.  It will also have a small door, which can be opened when they receive distinguished visitors, or when contracts, writings, and other important documents have to be passed through and business discussed; it can also be opened when they talk with very near relatives, but in the latter case the auditrix will be present.

The Nuns are advised, however, to live as much as possible detached from their parents and relations, and to receive them and talk with them very rarely.

CONSTITUTIONS

CONSTITUTIONS 15

ON THE FORM OF THE GRILLE, THE WICKET, AND THE TURN TO THE CHURCH

119. The Grilles of the Upper Choir and the Tribunes are to have small holes, so that lay people who come into the church cannot see the Nuns.           

120. The Grille of the Lower Choir will be of metal perforated with small holes, so that it will be possible to hear Holy Mass.  It will be about five feet long and about three and a half feet wide; in the middle there will be a small door a foot wide and twenty-one inches long, which will be used for ceremonies of Profession and Reception of the Hbit and other ceremonies.  This opening will be closed with a wooden door, and the Superior will keep the key.  In the middle of this little door there will be an oval opening for the administration of Holy Communion, and this also will be closed with a small door of brass and a small key.  All the grilles will be closed by a wooden door with a key, which, together with the key of the little metal door, will be kept by the Sacristan.

121. There will be a small turn between the lower sacristy and the sacristy of the church for the things used in the service of the altar.  This will be two feet three inches long, and one foot three inches wide, without any hoes, and placed where it can be seen.

CONSTITUTIONS 16

ON THE FORM OF THE GRILLE IN THE PARLOUR, THE TURN, AND THE MANNER OF DEALING WITH VISITORS

122. The Grille in the Parlour will be two feet seven inches wide, and two feet two inches high.  There will be two iron gratings, plainly made, with the space of a foot between them.  The holes in the gratings will be an inch and a half wide.  There will be a sheet of metal pierced with holes, which may be taken away when writings have to be passed through, contracts to be signed, or other business to be settled.  There will be a door in the grille, the key of which is to be kept by the Superior.

123. The Nuns will not go to the grille often, and only to see their relatives.  During Lent and Advent the grille will be opened only for necessity.

124. No Sister will go to the grille without permission nor without the Auditrix, and the Superior will also observe this with her relatives.  Whenever they go to the grille to speak to men, whoever they may be, the Sisters will lower their veils as far as the picture of the Most Holy Redeemer which they wear.  The only exception made is for the relatives to the third degree.

125. If a person of great dignity, such as a Bishop or other ecclesiastical dignitary, should come to the convent, the Superior may allow him to be received with the sheet of metal removed from the grille, and may allow the whole community to be present, provided he be unaccompanied.  If only the Superior receive him, she will go accompanied, not only for the purpose of propriety, but also to have a witness.  If matters in writing or account are dealt with, the Bursar must be present.

126. The Superior must be careful to see that the Nuns do not receive too frequent visits from their relatives; and the Nuns, on their part, will so detach themselves from the world, their country, their friends and relatives, as to regard this permission rather as a cross than a joy.  And if God should call anyone to an entire detachment she may decline this permission altogether, if those in authority approve; but she will not in that case omit to pray for the spiritual and temporal welfare of her friends and relations.

127. The Turn will be three feet three inches high and equally broad, without any holes.  There will be a door within, and there may be one outside also.  The inside door will have a key, which is kept by the Turn-Sister.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I don't know where the legislation comes from off-hand but yes, we are suppose to participate in Holy Mass. Enclosure isn't an absolute. The old rule of not being seen and not seeing came from the rules of St. Charles Borromeo and then extended to all cloisters. We could only see the elevation of the Host at Mass. And I don't even think we could see that because I sit directly in the back facing the altar and because of the woodwork, while I see the whole altar I never see the Elevation unless it is a priest who can't really raise the Host. I don't mind because I see the consecration while the people in the extern chapel need to see the Elevation!

Our constitutions say that the grille is to be opened for Mass. For years we couldn't do this but in the mid '90's we were able to replace the metal grille with a wood one that opens. We have the advantage that the choir is behind the altar so we see quite well. Unfortunately, the choir is lower than the altar and the sanctuary is down 3 steps so we can't see ceremonies out there unless we all come up to the grille.

In canon law a monastery can't be less than 3 nuns and I believe that it may have recently changed to 5 nuns. The Holy See is very concerned with the number of very small communities of nuns, many of them old, in many monasteries in Europe (especially Spain and Italy) and here in the US.

graciandelamadrededios

I don't know where the legislation comes from off-hand but yes, we are suppose to participate in Holy Mass. Enclosure isn't an absolute. The old rule of not being seen and not seeing came from the rules of St. Charles Borromeo and then extended to all cloisters. We could only see the elevation of the Host at Mass. And I don't even think we could see that because I sit directly in the back facing the altar and because of the woodwork, while I see the whole altar I never see the Elevation unless it is a priest who can't really raise the Host. I don't mind because I see the consecration while the people in the extern chapel need to see the Elevation!

Our constitutions say that the grille is to be opened for Mass. For years we couldn't do this but in the mid '90's we were able to replace the metal grille with a wood one that opens. We have the advantage that the choir is behind the altar so we see quite well. Unfortunately, the choir is lower than the altar and the sanctuary is down 3 steps so we can't see ceremonies out there unless we all come up to the grille.

In canon law a monastery can't be less than 3 nuns and I believe that it may have recently changed to 5 nuns. The Holy See is very concerned with the number of very small communities of nuns, many of them old, in many monasteries in Europe (especially Spain and Italy) and here in the US.

Thank you for your explanation Sr. Mary Catherine!

As someone who knows the Australian Redemptoristine nuns, I can say that they will be a community of five within months, have people actively discerning the life with them and accept discerners  from outside of Australia.  They reason for the headdress modification is simply weather related.  The heat could cause sores and ear infections.  Even with those modifications the life is still lived very traditionally.

• 1 year later...
graciandelamadrededios
Friday, 15 June 2012
THE REDEMPTORISTINE ORDER TODAY AUTHOR: FR. EMILIO LAGE CSSR

The history of the Sisters of the Order of the Most Holy Redeemer (O.Ss.R.) is intertwined closely with the birth, development and history of the Redemptorist Congregation (C.Ss.R.).

Both were born in Scala, Italy, The Nuns were founded on May 13, 1731 by Sr. Maria Celeste Crostarosa. The Redemptorists were founded on November 9, 1732 by St. Alphonsus. The two branches originally were called institutes of the "Most Holy Savior" – a name that was changed with pontifical approval to "Most Holy Redeemer" on February 25, 1749 for the male branch and on June 8, 1750 for the Nuns.
After the foundation of the monastery in Scala, Sr. Maria Celeste Crostarosa founded the monastery of the Most Holy Savior in Foggia, Italy, following the primitive rules. St. Alphonsus, on the high regard he held for the Nuns in Scala, called on them to found a monastery in St. Agatha of the Goths, Italy in 1766, while he was bishop there.
Father Joseph Passerat, Vicar General of the Transalpine Redemptorists, invited the Redemptoristines to found their first monastery outside of Italy in Vienna in 1831. From Austria the Order began to establish itself in Europe with monasteries in Belgium (1841), Holland (1848), Ireland (1859), France (1875) and England (1897).
In the twentieth century the Order spread throughout the world: Spain (1904), Canada (1905), Brazil (1921), Germany (1934), Argentina and Japan (1949), United States (1957), Burkina Faso (1963 ), Australia (1965), Venezuela and Peru (1976), Haiti (1976), Philippines (1980), Colombia (1988), Poland (1989), South Africa (1991) and Mexico (1993). In recent years there have been three new foundations: Kazakhstan (2001), Slovakia (2007) and Thailand (2011). And new foundations are being planned and prepared for in Vietnam and Ukraine.
A brief review of statistics shows that in 1931, two hundred years after its founding, the Order had 663 religious, 51 novices and 53 postulants in 26 monasteries, most with over 30 members. In 1947, after the Second World War, the number of nuns came to 690, while the novices and postulants were only 54. The number of monasteries continued to rise: in 1978 there were 39, but the number of nuns began to decrease, to 619. Today there are 422 nuns in 42 monasteries.
2012-6.jpg

The current situation of the Order is a reflection of the general crisis of religious life throughout the world and particularly in Europe and North America. In the Order, as in our Congregation, communities are aging and there is a decline in vocations. Recently Redemptoristine monasteries have been closed in Fort Erie (Canada), Merrivale (South Africa) and Liverpool (England). In many monasteries, there are communities of only three or four sisters who are advanced in age. But there are a significant number (over 100) younger sisters who, although limited to a few monasteries, are a source of hope for the future of the Order.

http://ossr.eu/index.php/en/ossr-in-scala-news/item/the-redemptoristine-order-today?category_id=135

graciandelamadrededios

São Fidelis-RJ

10.png Mosteiro da Santa Face e do Puríssimo e doloroso coração de Maria, São Fidelis-RJ

Este mosteiro foi fundado pela Madre Maria Leticia da virgem Misericordiosa acompanhada por mais algumas irmãs vindas do mosteiro de Belo Horizonte, para assim poderem continuar vivendo as regras de antes do Vaticano II. Recebendo autorização de Paulo VI para viverem a regra antiga e após algumas Transladações como em Campos dos Goytacazes chegam finalmente  quatro irmãs na Cidade de São Fidelis (28/12/2004), sendo recebidas por D. Fernandes Arêas Rifan na Administração apostólica Pessoal São João Maria Vianney. Sendo fechada a Clausura no dia 11 de janeiro de 2004, e após uma construção interna é aberta as portas do mosteiro para a benção da nova parte em 2013. Atualmente são quatro irmãs e uma vocacionada que buscam viver conforme o Evangelho de Nosso Senhor Jesus Cristo (vale a pena ressaltar que esse mosteiro vive as regras antigas, logo rezam a missa e o breviário em latim).

Comunidade Religiosa

12.png  

Sr. Maria do Carmo

(Priora)

13.png  

Sr. Maria Auxiliadora

(Vice-priora)

11.png  

Sr. Maria da Penha

14.png  

Sr. Maria Francisca

• 4 years later...
Yesenia E Salamanca

Ave Maria, 

Does anybody know where could I find the rule written by St. Alphonsus for the Redemptoristines Nuns?

Yesenia E Salamanca

Ave Maria,

That's nice. Where you get it? I really love to read about St.Alponsus.

Do you know where could I get one or preferably read it online? 

graciandelamadrededios
23 hours ago, Yesenia E Salamanca said:

Ave Maria,

That's nice. Where you get it? I really love to read about St.Alponsus.

Do you know where could I get one or preferably read it online? 

I got it from one of the monasteries in North America.  I'm afraid its not available online.  The Rule book is quite old.

Yesenia E Salamanca

Ave Maria,

If you ever want to sell it, I would buy it from you. 

Edited by Yesenia E Salamanca