An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing The Habit And Heat

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

After spending some time today in the scorching hot sun, I wondered how Sisters/nuns deal with the heat while wearing the habit outdoors.  I know most convents have some type of air conditioning but there is usually work that needs to be done outdoors and, inevitably, it happens to be summertime.  I just cannot imagine wearing a habit outdoors while it is incredibly hot.  I have enough trouble wearing regular clothes and I just think of all those who are wearing the habit and the amount of layers there are -- especially orders that have long habits like the Dominicans or Carmelites.

I was hoping some religious on here like Sr. Mary Catharine and Sr. Marie could weigh in on this.  :)

ToJesusMyHeart

I spoke with the Sisters of Reparation (http://www.sistersofreparation.org/) about this when I was visiting them last month and they said that it's just a sacrifice that they offer to make reparation for the sins of humanity, especially the sins of immodesty. Sometimes, people think it's okay to dress immodestly just because it's hot outside. The Sisters did acknowledge how hard it is for them, and how sweaty and gross they get in the summer while working outside (in the garden, mowing grass, woodwork, etc), but the suffering is a worthwhile sacrifice for reparation to the Sacred Heart. 

Spem in alium

I'm visiting some Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth today so will ask them too. It gets pretty hot here, and especially where they are, so I imagine it could get quite uncomfortable in summer. Their habit seems fairly lightweight and from memory many of them wear open shoes. It is winter now though, so perhaps they're more rugged up.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

You're just hot and yes, it is a penance and no, it's not always easy! For me, it is having my head covered more than anything. I guess I've got a lot of hot air!

You do get used to wearing a lot of clothes and after awhile "forget" what it is like wearing only a shirt and shorts, or skirt, etc.

I think that aside from the reparation aspect the habit is such a gift to wear and so much a part of you that one really can't imagine not wearing it!

For us, we wear a blue cotton tunic for garden work and a white cotton veil. But we still wear a cap and stockings! :-)

I'd rather be outside in the heat than inside sometimes. We don't have a lot of A/C, just in the choir and the community room. There are few other places that have it like the soap room so we like to be in those places, too!

We are prudent and make sure the sisters drink plenty of fluids. When it gets really hot everyone is advised to go slow and do their work in the community room if possible.

OnlySunshine

It really makes me wonder if I'd be able to handle it.  I don't tolerate heat well at all.  :(

OnlySunshine

I don't mean to say that I wouldn't follow a vocation simply because I don't think I could handle the heat.  But in all practicality, I don't think it would be possible.  Never say never, though, right?!?

I have this very same thought about Muslim women.  One of my best friends is Muslim so maybe I should ask her.

It really makes me wonder if I'd be able to handle it.  I don't tolerate heat well at all.  :(

I've wondered that, too. I get migraines very easily when it is extremely warm.

Lilllabettt

The human body acclimates. When I was in Texas they called 60 degrees coat weather. Whereas in Minnesota I know people who would wear shorts at that temperature.  Honestly, when the thermostat hits extremes you will feel uncomfortable regardless of what you wear or don't wear. Really hot feels really hot and really cold feels really cold. 

That said ... if you enter religious life you should brace yourself to "put up" with a lot. In that life you're supposed to avoid even expressing preferences let alone actually pursuing them. Our culture encourages us to be assertive and work towards what we want ... so its difficult.  Its easier in the very beginning, then after awhile it gets really old ... and then after a time (longer or shorter!) it gets easier again ...  but the whole thing requires supernatural grace, that's for sure.

It's the way women dressed for centuries, in the Muslims countries but also in Europe. Neither Scholastica nor St. Clare nor any of the other foundresses really "invented" their habits - they simply adapted the exsting clothing of women in their culture.

If you look at Renaissance paintings, you'll see that all the women wear floor-length dresses and usually a head covering, too. BTW, most men floor-length clothe & head coverings as well.

Clothing isn't just about heat/warmth. It's also about protection. If you're working in the garden, you probably need to protect your legs against thorns, kneeling on rocks/mud, bugs, etc. Most farmers in most countries have worn a full outfit of clothes all day. Clothing also protects "outsiders" from the sun - go to a ball game and you'll notice people putting handkerchiefs on their heads if they haven't worn their team caps.

I met an old guy a while ago - his father had been a farmer in the Midwest. He told me his dad wore his long underwear 365 days out the year. This would have been back in the days before air conditioning.

Spem in alium

It's the way women dressed for centuries, in the Muslims countries but also in Europe. Neither Scholastica nor St. Clare nor any of the other foundresses really "invented" their habits - they simply adapted the exsting clothing of women in their culture.

If you look at Renaissance paintings, you'll see that all the women wear floor-length dresses and usually a head covering, too. BTW, most men floor-length clothe & head coverings as well.

Clothing isn't just about heat/warmth. It's also about protection. If you're working in the garden, you probably need to protect your legs against thorns, kneeling on rocks/mud, bugs, etc. Most farmers in most countries have worn a full outfit of clothes all day. Clothing also protects "outsiders" from the sun - go to a ball game and you'll notice people putting handkerchiefs on their heads if they haven't worn their team caps.

I met an old guy a while ago - his father had been a farmer in the Midwest. He told me his dad wore his long underwear 365 days out the year. This would have been back in the days before air conditioning.

Very true. On the farm we're always fully covered (long sleeves and pants, sometimes long boots too, and a hat). It does get hot especially when working in the middle of the day, but it's a good way to protect yourself from the sun and from nasty animals lurking in long grass. You'd be pretty brave (borderline silly) to wear shorts while doing farm work.

I have this very same thought about Muslim women.  One of my best friends is Muslim so maybe I should ask her.

Haha, ditto! My best friend wears the hijab and dresses very conservatively (all skin covered except face and hands, no pantaloons). I recall her once saying that she doesn't really get hot much because she chooses lightweight clothing to layer, but I suppose it could be different for women who wear the burqa. 

Edited by Spem in alium

Well I'm very fair-skinned so even if I'm melting from the heat and all the layers of a habit, at least I won't get sunburned.  There is a silver lining after all ;)

OnlySunshine

Well I'm very fair-skinned so even if I'm melting from the heat and all the layers of a habit, at least I won't get sunburned.  There is a silver lining after all ;)

Same here, I guess.  I get sunburned so bad that I wasn't able to participate in the Corpus Christi Procession last weekend.  The last time I did, I got a horrible sunburn on my back that lasted for 2 weeks.  :(

Spem in alium

Same here, I guess.  I get sunburned so bad that I wasn't able to participate in the Corpus Christi Procession last weekend.  The last time I did, I got a horrible sunburn on my back that lasted for 2 weeks.  :(

Ouch! :(

OnlySunshine

Ouch! :(

Yep, quite painful.  I couldn't sleep on my back for a while.  :(