An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing The Habit And Heat

OnlySunshine

PhuturePriest

The Franciscan Brothers Minor (And the Nuns and Sisters) have thick wool habits that are handmade by the cloistered Nuns. They wear them no matter what, health permitting. Father David Mary once said that even though it's hot, at least it's not as hot as hell.

TheresaThoma

I would imagine the wool habits would be more comfortable then a habit made of synthetic fiber. Natural fibers (wool, cotton, linen etc) "breathe" much better.

When I was visiting a Benedictine Abbey it was quite warm and I wondered how the Sisters could bear the heat. Then I noticed how lightweight their habits were, also when they were outside at work they wore a work habit and a white veil (it was confusing because you couldn't tell the novices from the professed). They also adjusted their schedule so they did the outside work during the cooler hours (for instance getting up earlier and then having a rest period during the hottest part of the day).

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We have 2 summer and 2 winter and our "Christmas habit" which is also our Easter and bestest habit. We also have a "work" habit which then becomes a night habit :-)

So I guess the other question is...how often is one allowed to take a shower, in that their body odor isnt so over powering for others to have to gracefully endure?? I mean some people SWEAT more than others and.. It can actually stink like green onions and or have a SOUR smell to it. Ever smelt a homeless person who hasn't bathe in a long time? Some people can reek pretty quickly in a short amount of time. Plus.. After spending a day in hot muggy heat while wearing full clothing.. who wants to sleep in their own dried on salty-sticky fluids?? What are the guidelines on being able to bathe after sweating like a pig all day?? Just askin...

maximillion

It varies form community to community, but I think most communities have the willingness to relax things for the sake of health.

As I say, we didn't shower daily in the heat, but we did have a strip wash........

I have this very same thought about Muslim women.  One of my best friends is Muslim so maybe I should ask her.

I used to have to wear an abaya (similar to what you'd call a burqa) when I lived in the Middle East and it's really not as hot as you expect it to be. The fabric is obviously not sheer, but it's pretty lightweight and you don't have the sun directly on your skin. In the Middle East it's a very dry heat, so you don't get that sweaty either. 

Golden Years

Very interesting thread.  When I was younger, I couldn't stand the heat, but now it's the cold that gets to me!  Now I worry more about staying warm enough at night to sleep well without my little heater and electric blanket.  I remember reading in one of Thomas Merton's books that the holy water in their dormitories at Gethsemani used to freeze sometimes...brrrr!

VeniJesuAmorMi

I think it would be that when one has the grace to be in that specific community that you would be able to bear this sacrifice and all others with the grace given, and with joy! :) Not that it still wouldn't be painful but I have been told that when one finds the community that is home then there is always an interior peace through everything. There is always great joy in sacrifice and suffering when we are forgetful of ourselves and bear it all for Jesus.

be_thou_my_vision

The community I was in wears stockings all the time. I didn't have a summer habit or anything, but honestly, after that first summer at the convent, my body adjusted. I was quite comfortable in my habit. The days it was hot, I was probably no hotter that anyone else. I mean, when it's hot, everyone's hot!

Humidity, that's another story. We didn't have air conditioning in the cloistered area, so trying to get on stockings on a humid morning was always a challenge! Ahh good memories....!

I remember when I left last summer, I was so cold all the time! I actually missed my stockings a little bit! Hahaha!

FutureFranciscan:)

One of the Sisters that belong to the SSFPA told me that their habits are loose and that the material is lightweight so the wind blows through them, and that they also wear tshirts underneath their habits so their habits don't get all sweaty. I guess that the main problem is the black veils bc those get pretty hot.

Clothing isn't just about heat/warmth. It's also about protection. If you're working in the garden, you probably need to protect your legs against thorns, kneeling on rocks/mud, bugs, etc. Most farmers in most countries have worn a full outfit of clothes all day. Clothing also protects "outsiders" from the sun - go to a ball game and you'll notice people putting handkerchiefs on their heads if they haven't worn their team caps.

I met an old guy a while ago - his father had been a farmer in the Midwest. He told me his dad wore his long underwear 365 days out the year. This would have been back in the days before air conditioning.

When I help my granddaddy on the farm (fencing and what not) I always wear good strong gloves, jeans, button down top, and a hat.  In Kentucky, it can get really humid so that is what gets to everybody. But usually I am fine with wearing long sleeves in the summer.

• 3 years later...
Yinepu Sanctimonialis
On 08/06/2013 at 10:04 PM, ToJesusMyHeart said:

I spoke with the Sisters of Reparation (http://www.sistersofreparation.org/) about this when I was visiting them last month and they said that it's just a sacrifice that they offer to make reparation for the sins of humanity, especially the sins of immodesty. Sometimes, people think it's okay to dress immodestly just because it's hot outside. The Sisters did acknowledge how hard it is for them, and how sweaty and gross they get in the summer while working outside (in the garden, mowing grass, woodwork, etc), but the suffering is a worthwhile sacrifice for reparation to the Sacred Heart. 

I thought exactly the same when I had read these lines...if somebody decided to follow the calling/vocation of the Lord ...They must be pretty obedient and respectful with the Holy Habit they take/get to wear in every case...The role of the religious persons is very important as exemplar for all laical person, the comfort must be one of the last viewpoints. We all must make our sacrifices...