An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

Nope. Sorry bro.

Good.  You had me worried.

And the Bing tells me it can be spelled either way, with the most common being comic book.  You aren't doubting the Bing are you?  I find your lack of faith.....disturbing.

Spem in alium

I love this thread! :)

My first book is Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning, which I finished this morning. Excellent read.

I love reading! :) I just started Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett.

Edited by ploomf

Oh and I just finished reading The Broken Land by Kathleen O'Neal and W. Michael Gear yesterday. Very good book.

Finished 2 Corinthians the other day.

So as of right now, here's the score. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Nihil, 200

Spem, 1

Ploomf, 1

Byz, 1

Chrysophylax

Does re-reading count? Or only new books?

Today I re-read Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Brian Jacques, a old favorite of mine and the author who inspired my love of reading when I was younger), and finished Bolo! by David Weber. And yesterday I read Jennifer by Dee Henderson. (It was a rather sappy book, not my favorite.)

I'm sad I did not see this thread earlier! I read a lot.

To Jesus Through Mary

I am reading a really long book right now that I will be lucky if I can finish by the end of summer. Sllllooowwww reader. I would be interested to hear y'alls summer reading lists. I am attempting to read 3 Stages of the Interior Life (Vol I). What are you going to get at this summer?

Well... finished one yesterday... that was recommended by someone in the Vocation Station: 

A Few Lines to Tell You    By the Carmelite Nuns of Iron Mountain, MI  

It was a fairly good read about the traditional customs of Carmelite Monasteries, using the literary device of letters to her family by a fictitious 'sister marie'.   Useful for me as I help people discern vocations..... 

I try to alternate on non-fiction with a fiction book.... and now I am reading a Star Trek Next Generation novel. 

(Yes, that is not great literature, and I am bad, but is IS summer....)

Edited by AnneLine

I am reading a really long book right now that I will be lucky if I can finish by the end of summer. Sllllooowwww reader. I would be interested to hear y'alls summer reading lists. I am attempting to read 3 Stages of the Interior Life (Vol I). What are you going to get at this summer?

I have a to be read pile that is taller than I am. :| And I keep buying books to add to it, I can't seem to stop myself. :p

I don't know... when your stack of books gets tall enough that it could topple over on you and squish you in your sleep you might have a problem. :p

Does re-reading count? Or only new books?

Today I re-read Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (Brian Jacques, a old favorite of mine and the author who inspired my love of reading when I was younger), and finished Bolo! by David Weber. And yesterday I read Jennifer by Dee Henderson. (It was a rather sappy book, not my favorite.)

I'm sad I did not see this thread earlier! I read a lot.

All books count (edited to specify beyond a doubt: including rereads). Wait, is that Jacques of Redwall? Those books are great!

Slow and steady wins the race!

Well... finished one yesterday... that was recommended by someone in the Vocation Station: 

A Few Lines to Tell You    By the Carmelite Nuns of Iron Mountain, MI  

It was a fairly good read about the traditional customs of Carmelite Monasteries, using the literary device of letters to her family by a fictitious 'sister marie'.   Useful for me as I help people discern vocations..... 

I try to alternate on non-fiction with a fiction book.... and now I am reading a Star Trek Next Generation novel. 

(Yes, that is not great literature, and I am bad, but is IS summer....)

I used to really like reading TNG novels.

Finished Nehemiah today.

Nihil, 200

Chrysophylax, 3

Byz, 2

Spem, 1

Ploomf, 1

AnneLine, 1

Please make sure I've got everything accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a book somewhere.

Oh yes, and how are we counting LOTR? By part (Fellowship, Towers, King), book (1-6), or are we only counting the whole thing as 1?

Edited by Byzantine

Byz - Thanks for the thumbs up on the STNG novels - some are better than others, and the one I am reading is VERY good one!

And.... I am presuming that when we finish Vol III of the Liturgy of the Hours, we may count that as a book completed?  It certainly SHOULD count for something... we have a few week to determine its human value (spiritually, it is incalculable....)

Edited by AnneLine

I don't know... when your stack of books gets tall enough that it could topple over on you and squish you in your sleep you might have a problem. :P

So... lay them in a line by the side of your bed.  Or better yet... prop yourself up in the bed... and then you reach for the next one as you finish one... dropping the completed ones beside your bed for someone else (a cat perhaps?) to pick up for you.  That and food & beverage delivery and your summer will be ideal!

stack+of+books.jpg

Edited by AnneLine

Byz - Thanks for the thumbs up on the STNG novels - some are better than others, and the one I am reading is VERY good one!

And.... I am presuming that when we finish Vol III of the Liturgy of the Hours, we may count that as a book completed?  It certainly SHOULD count for something... we have a few week to determine its human value (spiritually, it is incalculable....)

Sure thing!

Which STNG is it?

So... lay them in a line by the side of your bed.  Or better yet... prop yourself up in the bed... and then you reach for the next one as you finish one... dropping the completed ones beside your bed for someone else (a cat perhaps?) to pick up for you.  That and food & beverage delivery and your summer will be ideal!

Yes. I would very much like this to be my summer, except I prefer the couch or armchair.