An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

Sure thing!

Which STNG is it?

Guises of the Mind, by Rebecca Neason   

(Some of the writing is less than stellar (boo, hiss!), but some of the ideas... are VERY captivating. 

Ever wonder what Data would do if he decided to explore spirituality? that's only one of the elements of this one.....)

Yes. I would very much like this to be my summer, except I prefer the couch or armchair.

Got your reading lamp and couch, right here....

using-old-books-to-make-a-floor-lamp-1-5

Book sounds great. Thank you for preparing this delightful reading place for me.

So books of the bible count as one book?

Finished 1 Maccabees.  forgive my unpleasant disposition, prots!

ETA:  I like the censor bot.  :)

Edited by Dr. Bombay

I want one of these in every room in my house. :like3:

So... lay them in a line by the side of your bed.  Or better yet... prop yourself up in the bed... and then you reach for the next one as you finish one... dropping the completed ones beside your bed for someone else (a cat perhaps?) to pick up for you.  That and food & beverage delivery and your summer will be ideal!

You've just described the most perfect summer ever. :p Now all I have to worry about is which cat I could train to pick up my books for me? Hmm... :think:

Anastasia13

Do things like 78 page PDFs of church documents count?

What if I am reading an entire set of canon law?

I read one book. To your mom. In bed.

My mom loved books. However...

1287808391.jpg

Do you often spend your nights at the cemetery, Winchester?

Edited by AnneLine

I would think Byz gets to make the calls, but I would think each document should count?  

And each 'book' of canon law would be citable separately, I would think... (but you'd have a pretty boring summer if you read 'em end to end.. but maybe not if you are a canon lawyer!)  But they don't have legal books like secular lawyers do, I seem to recall....

Certainly would in the regular legal field.....

Interesting questions?

How about the documents of Vatican II?   One book or a compilation of books... would think they work like the Bible?

Chrysophylax

All books count (edited to specify beyond a doubt: including rereads). Wait, is that Jacques of Redwall? Those books are great!

Thanks for the clarification! And yes, that is the Jacques of Redwall. I hated reading until I started reading his books in fifth grade... Now I am a voracious reader and his Castaways series is still one of my favorites! Ben and Ned are two of my favorite fictitious characters.

LittleWaySoul

I have a to be read pile that is taller than I am. :| And I keep buying books to add to it, I can't seem to stop myself. :P

This is my life. No big deal. :|

LittleWaySoul

LOTR IS COUNTED AS THREE-- ONE FOR EACH NOVEL. I'M TAKING LONG ENOUGH TO GET THROUGH FOTR. THERE IS NO WAY WE'RE COUNTING ALL THREE AS ONE.

That is all :)

Anastasia13

I would think Byz gets to make the calls, but I would think each document should count?  

And each 'book' of canon law would be citable separately, I would think... (but you'd have a pretty boring summer if you read 'em end to end.. but maybe not if you are a canon lawyer!)  But they don't have legal books like secular lawyers do, I seem to recall....

Interesting questions?

How about the documents of Vatican II?   One book or a compilation of books... would think they work like the Bible?

The parts of Vatican II that I have read were less than 10 pages per document.

Boring Summer would be memorizing the headings and numbers of all major sections of cannon law. Tempting... I'm reading the CCEO (Eastern Catholic Canon Law, http://www.jgray.org/codes/) for summer.

So books of the bible count as one book?

Finished 1 Maccabees.  forgive my unpleasant disposition, prots!

ETA:  I like the censor bot.  :)

Of course!

Sure. Although in this case I might wonder if you really want to do that.

I read one book. To your mom. In bed.

You can't read, silly old bear.

Interesting questions?

Yeah, let's go with that, counting each document separately.

Thanks for the clarification! And yes, that is the Jacques of Redwall. I hated reading until I started reading his books in fifth grade... Now I am a voracious reader and his Castaways series is still one of my favorites! Ben and Ned are two of my favorite fictitious characters.

Haven't read Castaways, but I probably should.

LOTR IS COUNTED AS THREE-- ONE FOR EACH NOVEL. I'M TAKING LONG ENOUGH TO GET THROUGH FOTR. THERE IS NO WAY WE'RE COUNTING ALL THREE AS ONE.

That is all :)

LOTR is one novel, though. One novel, three parts, six books :P Cool it or they'll count by book for me and by novel for you :P

But yes, we'll count LOTR by part. That seems like a nice balance between one novel and six books. In that case, point for me because I finished TTT a day or two ago.

Current scores:

Nihil, 200

Chrysophylax, 3

Byz, 3

Spem, 1

Ploomf, 1

AnneLine, 1

Do we call him Dr. B, Bomb, or Bambi?, 1

Winnie the Pooh, apparently 1 unless he was being sarcastic.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

I read my battery operated lamp instruction booklet in English and Spanish!!!!!