An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Reading Competition

Byzantine

Well... still trying to get those prizes in the mail!  (I live a long distance from post office, and you can't drop packages in the mail box any more!)  I'm trying for tomorrow or Tuesday!

I've been wondering about something, and would like some pheedback before I open the thread about the Dec/Jan reading challenge.

Wonder if it might be a good idea to give us some incentives to try to tackle something a little tougher.  Maybe the ability to designate a book that we would get double or triple credit for reading our way through?    I've suggested to Cartermia, for example, tht she might light to try In this House of Brede - a book that would be a bit of a healthy stretch for her.  I have Brideshead Revisited and CSLewis' Space Trilogy in the house, and while I have tried to get through it a few times, I just can't seem to make myself stick at it.  Same with a lot of British literature....but I would value an incentive option!

Would the rest of you be interested in designating a few challenge books for ourselves? 

And if we did -- would it count for double or triple or x5 credit? 

What do you think?

Thoughts?

And... if we are gong to have some incentives (ie, prizes) does anyone else want to help chip in on getting them? (got to be a bit expensive for me this time... and I'll consider it again, but.... well, yeah, I could use someone else to underwrite maybe one of the prizes?

Well...CCC... I THINK that the official rule for the Summer Conference was that if you had STARTED a book but not finished it you could finish it and count it.... so leave a few pages to read on the 1st day of the competition!  ;)  :evil:

'summer conference' ? 

Either AnneLine needed more coffee this morning(always a possibility!) or the auto correction feature struck again... and I suspect the latter.  That should have ben 'summer competition'....

xTrishaxLynnx

Well...CCC... I THINK that the official rule for the Summer Conference was that if you had STARTED a book but not finished it you could finish it and count it.... so leave a few pages to read on the 1st day of the competition!  ;)  :evil:

We may have to do away with this rule... I've started a LOT of books that I've yet to finish.

hehehe but it will give people a BIG chance to get a head start.... have to give everyone an edge against the attack of the CarterMia!

I might ask for the "House of the Brede" for Christmas, and I am reading a challenging book right now, "The Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" by St. Alphounuse (sp?). I am almost finished with it!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, sUMMER READERS.... time to go join the ADVENT/CANDLEMAS Reading competition... sign ups NOW!!!!

And MAYBE i will finally get to the post office this week.  (I'm so embarrassed... but I don't drive, and just haven't been able to get there!)