An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?

Spem in alium

EA, I just don't know if I should do it on a linen or what type of fabric.

Oh yeah I wanted to ask everybody's opinion on going to a sewing camp for $55 and you have to bring your own fabric (the camp last for 2 weeks). My grandmother wants me to go and I told her I would tell her by tomorrow so she can book my spot. 

Carter, I was planning linen personally. I love working on linen.

Definitely do the sewing camp! I bet you'd learn some good stuff.

Spem in alium

I've done cross stitch for years, but for my birthday the year before last I asked for embroidery classes at the royal school of needlework. My latest piece was a bird of paradise, but I'm planning a cross design at the moment. And I'm taking a class in goldwork in a few months!

That is just amesome. I love cross stitch. And an embroidered bird of paradise would be lovely!

I did a chain stitch and I used this <http://www.needlenthread.com/2008/05/free-embroidery-pattern-cross-crown.html>  design.

I am going to try to do this <http://www.needlenthread.com/2010/10/ecclesiastical-embroidery-pattern-pall-design.html> for a friend of mine who is getting ordained.

I love this! Thanks for passing it on. I may do something for my grandparents' anniversary. I am wondering though: how do you transfer the design? Do you just print off the image from the computer and trace it on to the fabric?

Oh, if we are talking crafts, I should take a picture of the pair of earings I made yesterday...

Yes! Please do :)

EA, I just don't know if I should do it on a linen or what type of fabric.

Oh yeah I wanted to ask everybody's opinion on going to a sewing camp for $55 and you have to bring your own fabric (the camp last for 2 weeks). My grandmother wants me to go and I told her I would tell her by tomorrow so she can book my spot. 

Oh, you should definitely go! :)

Edited by Spem in alium

That is just amesome. I love cross stitch. And an embroidered bird of paradise would be lovely!

I love this! Thanks for passing it on. I may do something for my grandparents' anniversary. I am wondering though: how do you transfer the design? Do you just print off the image from the computer and trace it on to the )

I got my bird of paradise pattern from that same site and I use the prick and pounce method. If you haven't heard if it, basically you print the pattern onto tracing paper then prick holes using a needle along the lines of the pattern. You then place it over your fabric and rub this special powder onto it. You then draw the lines using either pencil or watercolor paint, and gently shake to get the powder off.

I also have a hot iron transfer pencil, so you draw or trace the pattern onto tracing paper with the pencil and it creates a transfer you then iron on.

I did a summer sewing program when I was in 7th or 8th grade.   I have ALWAYS been grateful I did it!  

It was offered by the SInger Sewing Center in a mall about 20 miles outside of SF and I had to take THREE BUSSES to get there three days a week... about 2 hours each way.  It didn't cost anything but we had to buy the fabric and supplies there (which was a brilliant idea on the part of the store!).

I think it went on for like 6 weeks 2 or 3 days a week.  I learned the basics of how to lay out and sew and got my first outfit done that summer.  Not only learned how to do that but also run the machine, basic maintenance, etc.   Took sewing again in high school (as an elective, and a great break from the college prep classes!), but I already knew so much of the basics it was super easy. 

It was WELL worth my summer... I bet you'll have a blast, Carteremia!

And... I volunteered at a hospital the other two days so it was a full summer and I had a wonderful time!

Spem in alium

I got my bird of paradise pattern from that same site and I use the prick and pounce method. If you haven't heard if it, basically you print the pattern onto tracing paper then prick holes using a needle along the lines of the pattern. You then place it over your fabric and rub this special powder onto it. You then draw the lines using either pencil or watercolor paint, and gently shake to get the powder off.

I also have a hot iron transfer pencil, so you draw or trace the pattern onto tracing paper with the pencil and it creates a transfer you then iron on.

Ah, brilliant. Thanks! :)

I did a summer sewing program when I was in 7th or 8th grade.   I have ALWAYS been grateful I did it!  

It was offered by the SInger Sewing Center in a mall about 20 miles outside of SF and I had to take THREE BUSSES to get there three days a week... about 2 hours each way.  It didn't cost anything but we had to buy the fabric and supplies there (which was a brilliant idea on the part of the store!).

I think it went on for like 6 weeks 2 or 3 days a week.  I learned the basics of how to lay out and sew and got my first outfit done that summer.  Not only learned how to do that but also run the machine, basic maintenance, etc.   Took sewing again in high school (as an elective, and a great break from the college prep classes!), but I already knew so much of the basics it was super easy. 

It was WELL worth my summer... I bet you'll have a blast, Carteremia!

And... I volunteered at a hospital the other two days so it was a full summer and I had a wonderful time!

That sounds so awesome! :) 

I'm so excited. Today I bought a heap of scrapbooking stuff because I've decided to make an album for my MN trip. I found this amazing $10 kit including an album, paper, stickers, embellishments and stickers. I can't wait to start!

That sound sgreat, Spem!

And Cartermia..... the main reason why I taught myself embroidery and made myself take advantage of learning to sew and cook was I knew it would be useful in any community I might join... and it's been useful as a secular, too!!!!

Spem in alium

That sound sgreat, Spem!

And Cartermia..... the main reason why I taught myself embroidery and made myself take advantage of learning to sew and cook was I knew it would be useful in any community I might join... and it's been useful as a secular, too!!!!

Thank you!

I agree, all those things are really handy. While I was away I had clothes tear and buttons fall off, and I'm really grateful I knew how to mend them properly. I really enjoy all those things, so learning them is easier :)

My ability to sew buttons and do basic mending made me very popular when I went to college. I had quite a few friends come to me with their mending because they just had no idea how to do it. I even mended a hole in a couch for someone once, thanks to some curved upholstery needles found in my grandmother's sewing boxes (their landlord was a cheapskate).

I love this! Thanks for passing it on. I may do something for my grandparents' anniversary. I am wondering though: how do you transfer the design? Do you just print off the image from the computer and trace it on to the fabric?

Oh, you should definitely go! :)

I use sunlight, a window, tape, and a pen that will evaporate.

First you print of the picture, then I tape it up on a window that gets a lot of sunlight. Then you tape the fabric over the picture and finally you trace.

That sounds great, Spem!

My grandmother thought that it might be useful for me to learn how to sew when I enter the Nashies, the community she wants me to enter. Personally I like Regina Laudis

Spem in alium

I use sunlight, a window, tape, and a pen that will evaporate.

First you print of the picture, then I tape it up on a window that gets a lot of sunlight. Then you tape the fabric over the picture and finally you trace.

My grandmother thought that it might be useful for me to learn how to sew when I enter the Nashies, the community she wants me to enter. Personally I like Regina Laudis

Awesome. Thanks Carter :)

• 2 weeks later...
TheresaThoma

I'm working on a pair of socks. Hopefully the first one will be done here soon and I can move on to the second one!

• 2 weeks later...
TheresaThoma

Ok update, I found llama fiber incredibly cheap so the spinning will commence. One thing I have already noticed is how nice natural fiber is, there is still some of the oils left and that is getting all over my hands moisturizing them. After spending years with my hands being dried out and rubbed to death by acrylics natural fiber is the exact opposite!