An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Ok update, I found llama fiber incredibly cheap so the spinning will commence. One thing I have already noticed is how nice natural fiber is, there is still some of the oils left and that is getting all over my hands moisturizing them. After spending years with my hands being dried out and rubbed to death by acrylics natural fiber is the exact opposite!

Spinning!!! Awesome! :) What exactly are you making? The oil in wool and fibres definitely feels great on the skin!

ChristinaTherese

I'm finishing off some quilt blocks that my great-grandmother started. I hope to have made a decent start on a quilt (using those blocks) by the time school starts again in late September and be able to take it back to college with me and get some work done on it there. And then I hope to get done within maybe 3 years or so. I haven't been working on it very regularly, though.... Doing the same stitch over and over gets tedious, although it's always nice to work with others around and be able to talk to them about it or anything else while I work. (And I do enjoy embroidery, or I would never have taken on the project in the first place. It's just that, like I said, it gets a little tedious when I'm doing 12 blocks all with the same two stitches. Only three more blocks to go, though.)

Spem in alium

Anyone in favour of classing bakers and cooks within the "crafty minx" category?

If so, I've definitely been a crafty minx this week! I've been working on perfecting my chocolate loaf cake. Just taken one out of the oven and it smells excellent.

Also managed to work a bit on my scrapbook. Great way to take time out :)

Spem in alium

I'm finishing off some quilt blocks that my great-grandmother started. I hope to have made a decent start on a quilt (using those blocks) by the time school starts again in late September and be able to take it back to college with me and get some work done on it there. And then I hope to get done within maybe 3 years or so. I haven't been working on it very regularly, though.... Doing the same stitch over and over gets tedious, although it's always nice to work with others around and be able to talk to them about it or anything else while I work. (And I do enjoy embroidery, or I would never have taken on the project in the first place. It's just that, like I said, it gets a little tedious when I'm doing 12 blocks all with the same two stitches. Only three more blocks to go, though.)

Good luck - and keep it up! Sounds like a lovely project :)

ChristinaTherese

http://s1277.photobucket.com

my stuff gets posted there every once in awhile, but everything you see I've made myself.

That link doesn't appear to work for me.... It just takes me to a main photobucket page and keeps the URL you gave.

Anyone in favour of classing bakers and cooks within the "crafty minx" category?

If so, I've definitely been a crafty minx this week! I've been working on perfecting my chocolate loaf cake. Just taken one out of the oven and it smells excellent.

Also managed to work a bit on my scrapbook. Great way to take time out :)

Sounds fine to me. I'm being a bit more of a crafty minx than usual lately if that's the case as well, because I have the house to myself for a few weeks and am doing almost all of my cooking. (That is to say, all except for when I eat out, which isn't common if I'm not with a group.) Quality of the food varies.

Spem in alium

That link doesn't appear to work for me.... It just takes me to a main photobucket page and keeps the URL you gave.

Sounds fine to me. I'm being a bit more of a crafty minx than usual lately if that's the case as well, because I have the house to myself for a few weeks and am doing almost all of my cooking. (That is to say, all except for when I eat out, which isn't common if I'm not with a group.) Quality of the food varies.

Doesn't work for me either. :/

Sounds great! What kind of foods have you been cooking?

ChristinaTherese

Doesn't work for me either. :/

Sounds great! What kind of foods have you been cooking?

Just plain old stuff like mashed potatoes, sausage, a random scramble that was also an experiment and tasted awful (note to self: do NOT either saute chard or saute things by way of being on the other side of the kitchen and just stirring occasionally and throwing in oil when things start to look like they might burn again), noodles, corn, and chicken hearts. I don't know what I'm doing today, I'll have to make a meal plan for the next week and buy some groceries.... Mainly, I've been learning that running experiments with cooking totally random things and throwing in random spices that I've never used before is probably not a good idea, and I might do well to stick with simple things that I know.

Spem in alium

Just plain old stuff like mashed potatoes, sausage, a random scramble that was also an experiment and tasted awful (note to self: do NOT either saute chard or saute things by way of being on the other side of the kitchen and just stirring occasionally and throwing in oil when things start to look like they might burn again), noodles, corn, and chicken hearts. I don't know what I'm doing today, I'll have to make a meal plan for the next week and buy some groceries.... Mainly, I've been learning that running experiments with cooking totally random things and throwing in random spices that I've never used before is probably not a good idea, and I might do well to stick with simple things that I know.

Haha, sounds like you're getting a lot of variety :) Yeah, experimenting can be fun, but sometimes it can go totally wrong!

Beautiful! I love it all, especially the embroidery. And the sleeves of the cassock are lovely.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Beautiful! I love it all, especially the embroidery. And the sleeves of the cassock are lovely.

Thanks, My next project is going to be making a rabat for the cassock. It's just to darn expensive to buy all this stuff from stores...

Spem in alium

Thanks, My next project is going to be making a rabat for the cassock. It's just to darn expensive to buy all this stuff from stores...

Nice! How long did it take you to finish these pieces (cassock, surplice and embroidery)?

ChristinaTherese

Haha, sounds like you're getting a lot of variety :) Yeah, experimenting can be fun, but sometimes it can go totally wrong!

And sometimes experiments (well, it wasn't an experiment exactly, but I'd never had it before because I just kind of came up with it) turn out very well, like tonight. I just sauteed onions, celery, garlic, and carrots, and then added some radishes that had (already peeled) been boiling lightly or at least sitting on the stove in hot water, added chicken hearts and spices (parsley, oregano, and salt), and let it sit until the chicken hearts were cooked. It's a bit salty, but very good.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Nice! How long did it take you to finish these pieces (cassock, surplice and embroidery)?

It took me about 4-5 hours on the Surplice, about 3 days on the Cassock and 2 weeks on the embroidery. I work pretty quickly and when I start a project I just nock it out with few breaks for even eating or sleeping. Mass and Classes are about the only thing that take me away from a project.