An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Need Feminism Because..." Cambridge University Students Sha

CrossCuT

Cambridge University students were asked on campus why they needed feminism.

tumblr_mo9rkqaYlC1s3ggdno2_r2_500.png

Click the link for more:

http://awkwardsituationist.tumblr.com/post/52817821994/cambridge-university-students-were-asked-on-campus

I guess the real question here is...what does Feminism even mean? 

OOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo

Edited by CrossCuT

Cambridge University students Share their thoughts*

(Apparently there is a title character limit)  :saint2:

DiscerningCatholic

Some of those reasons were pretty stupid...and some of them actually made sense...

PhuturePriest

Some of the answers were good (The statistics and everything), but some of them were a little weird and irrelevant.

multi-quote feature isn't working - but to the two posters above me, can you give me examples of which ones you think are stupid or irrelevant? 

DiscerningCatholic

Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing.

The one about "We are different but EQUAL" was awe.some.

Well, in the third set, the one on the top row on the far left. I don't feel comfortable putting it here. The one about "I need feminism because I love science and it shouldn't be shocking." I mean...what? People find it shocking that I used to do gymnastics or that I used to play the violin or that I can swim faster than most of my friends. People are always gonna be shocked at a few things you like doing.

People still assume science is a mans field because for all of history that has been the case.

However, now, women are more prevalent in the biological sciences. 

People still assume science is a mans field because for all of history that has been the case.

What the heck! I didnt post 3 times! This site needs a therapist 

Edited by CrossCuT

lots of people still find it shocking when a "pretty" girl is interested in sciences or maths. doesn't help that movies/music/etc still reinforce the idea that only ugly/nerdy girls are interested in those things - and that popular/pretty girls aren't/shouldn't be.

photosynthesis

Meh.  I used to be a Womyn's Studies major with the hairy armpits and the Ani DiFranco CD's.  I became a much happier, saner person when I left feminism.  Although I still forgo armpit shaving when it isn't swimsuit season  :paperbag: .  But that's mostly due to laziness.

PhuturePriest

Meh.  I used to be a Womyn's Studies major with the hairy armpits and the Ani DiFranco CD's.  I became a much happier, saner person when I left feminism.  Although I still forgo armpit shaving when it isn't swimsuit season  :paperbag: .  But that's mostly due to laziness.

There's a difference between feminism and sexism. True feminism is a good thing. Unfortunately, there are many sexist women going under the banner of "feminist" that are in charge of the movement and are thus making everyone think that's what feminism is. However, it is not.

DiscerningCatholic

lots of people still find it shocking when a "pretty" girl is interested in sciences or maths. doesn't help that movies/music/etc still reinforce the idea that only ugly/nerdy girls are interested in those things - and that popular/pretty girls aren't/shouldn't be.

Well, in all of the movies I've seen, the popular, pretty girls are mean...so there's really no happy medium. :|