An Old School Catholic Message Board

"i Need Feminism Because..." Cambridge University Students Sha

CrossCuT

Well, in all of the movies I've seen, the popular, pretty girls are mean...so there's really no happy medium. :|

Because mainstream/pop culture media is a good representation of real life.  :smile3:

Well, in all of the movies I've seen, the popular, pretty girls are mean...so there's really no happy medium. :|

but that's exactly my point. 

Chestertonian

lots of people still find it shocking when a "pretty" girl is interested in sciences or maths. doesn't help that movies/music/etc still reinforce the idea that only ugly/nerdy girls are interested in those things - and that popular/pretty girls aren't/shouldn't be.

The same could be said for men. 

DiscerningCatholic

There's a difference between feminism and sexism. True feminism is a good thing. Unfortunately, there are many sexist women going under the banner of "feminist" that are in charge of the movement and are thus making everyone think that's what feminism is. However, it is not.

THIS

Because mainstream/pop culture media is a good representation of real life.  :smile3:

Which is why I don't get why I see feminists get so worked up over some stuff like this. You don't see nuns or priests in the street protesting "WE'RE NOT LIKE THAT" because the media gives suckish portrayals of them.

Which is why I don't get why I see feminists get so worked up over some stuff like this. You don't see nuns or priests in the street protesting "WE'RE NOT LIKE THAT" because the media gives suckish portrayals of them.

why do people get so worked up? because those stereotypes are still perpetuated and furthered in our real lives. and it pisses people me off. 

There's a difference between feminism and sexism. True feminism is a good thing. Unfortunately, there are many sexist women going under the banner of "feminist" that are in charge of the movement and are thus making everyone think that's what feminism is. However, it is not.

examples please. (besides abortion rights.)

Examples on what?

examples of what you think not true "feminists" are furthering the "feminist" movement with. I already understand that a lot of the "feminist" movement is caught up in abortion rights, so that's why I said "Besides abortion rights". 

PhuturePriest

examples of what you think not true "feminists" are furthering the "feminist" movement with. I already understand that a lot of the "feminist" movement is caught up in abortion rights, so that's why I said "Besides abortion rights". 

I wasn't even thinking of abortion rights. I was thinking of little things like this:

http://www.sanctepater.com/2013/04/femen-feminists-attack-archbishop-andre.html

There is also a major motion within the feminist movement to further marriage equality.

Edited by FuturePriest387

DiscerningCatholic

nope.

Whoops. Realized that I had scrolled down to the same point on both our profiles and was reading mine as yours. :blush:

DiscerningCatholic

I wasn't even thinking of abortion rights. I was thinking of little things like this:

http://www.sanctepater.com/2013/04/femen-feminists-attack-archbishop-andre.html

There is also a major motion within the feminist movement to further marriage equality.

I don't think that most feminists would say that that ^ was true feminism (but I don't doubt for a moment that a lot of modern "feminists" would do stuff like that), but it IS true that the "feminists" who preach luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv and toleranceeeeeeeeeeeee aren't very loving or tolerant of people with ideas different from theirs. 

PhuturePriest

I don't think that most feminists would say that that ^ was true feminism (but I don't doubt for a moment that a lot of modern "feminists" would do stuff like that), but it IS true that the "feminists" who preach luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv and toleranceeeeeeeeeeeee aren't very loving or tolerant of people with ideas different from theirs. 

I definitely don't think actions like that are representative of all "womyn" leaders and advocates. But I do think things like this look rather poorly on the movement itself, and it makes people look poorly on feminism in general.

PhuturePriest

Whoops. Realized that I had scrolled down to the same point on both our profiles and was reading mine as yours. :blush:

jiFfM.jpg