An Old School Catholic Message Board

Great/grate Veils Of The Discalced Carmelite Nuns

graciandelamadrededios

Perhaps this link will be interesting to you. Under "strony internetowe siostr" there is a list of links to the websites of the monasteries from the Krakow province. Unfortunately, most of the websites (if not all...) are available only in Polish, but under the "Galeria" you can find lots of pictures if you open their websites :)

http://www.karmel.pl/mniszki/index.php

And here there are links to the Warsaw province with the contact details to all the sisters' monasteries

http://karmelicibosi.pl/?page_id=392

graciandelamadrededios
55 minutes ago, katarzyna said:

Perhaps this link will be interesting to you. Under "strony internetowe siostr" there is a list of links to the websites of the monasteries from the Krakow province. Unfortunately, most of the websites (if not all...) are available only in Polish, but under the "Galeria" you can find lots of pictures if you open their websites :)

http://www.karmel.pl/mniszki/index.php

And here there are links to the Warsaw province with the contact details to all the sisters' monasteries

http://karmelicibosi.pl/?page_id=392

Thanks!  I already checked the first website you recommended and currently checking the second one.  

I normally just type Karmelitanki Bose and check each websites that appears.

• 4 months later...
On 7/13/2013 at 3:43 PM, Chiquitunga said:

2k31uc.jpg

For the JMJ Carmels, I have never seen them wear this large veil with the folds at the back as the great veil was, but only a more streamline one. At the enclosure ceremony in Elysburg they wore this one pictured below. I have heard they have two different outer veils, one for visiting in the parlor and then the Communion veil. But again, I am pretty sure they don't have this very large veil that falls on the back in a folds as Buffalo, Brooklyn & Alexandria do, or at least they don't wear them at occasions like making a foundation.

3885391827_1701bcbb42_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28378419@N03/sets/72157622233735714/

My goodness, so many posts today on details about Carmel not necessary for our salvation blush.gif I think everyone else on VS are rolling their eyes, or getting a headache at least, oh well. sorry! 

The JMJ Carmels were the speakroom veils AND Communion veils! The ones pictured are the Communion veils from Holy Mass. the speakroom veils have the romantic flow-y folds that cascade down the back. Since it is prohibited, there wouldn't be any pictures online.

Actually, the Elysburg Carmel is the only one-so far that had brought back that custom. Having separate designs was put aside for a bit in the early foundation days of Valparaiso, and there are too many sisters right now to start remaking all the speakroom veils! (Over 40!!) And poor Kensington is so busy. I was in Elysburg for the best 2.5 years of my life. But so homesick... The traditional speakroom veils hit the upper leg in the back, and have a (never used) option of down to the collarbone in front. Happy to talk more about Carmel!!

Praised be Jesus Christ! Thank you for sharing all of this Therese!! I would love to PM you!! :smile2: God reward you for preserving 2.5 years! :pray:

Quick question.. I heard also that Elysburg was learning how to make the alpargatas as well, but not Valparaiso. Did they have them when you were there? 

I recently visited Avila by the way, and the nuns at San Jose make and sell really cute alpargatas for kids, with little kid designs on, them, hot pink and rainbow, etc. Of course I bought a pair (8 euro) :smile4:

Chiqui- 

Yes, Elysburg has been making alpargates for about four years now, with 100% handmade soles and all! Hemp threads. Neither of the other 2 Carmels are doing it quite yet. They are very comfortable, like slippers that tie around your ankles. We never wore them 'going out' though- they look too homemade! We also started using all Spanish wool and cottons for the habits from A Carmel in Spain, phasing out the old ones with new Spanish ones. Val is doing the same! Trying hard to be just like OHM!

Chiqui- 

Yes, Elysburg has been making alpargates for about four years now, with 100% handmade soles and all! Hemp threads. Neither of the other 2 Carmels are doing it quite yet. They are very comfortable, like slippers that tie around your ankles. We never wore them 'going out' though- they look too homemade! We also started using all Spanish wool and cottons for the habits from A Carmel in Spain, phasing out the old ones with new Spanish ones. Val is doing the same! Trying hard to be just like OHM! All clothes are also hand sewn (like needle and thread in your hand!) I loved it!!

Also, sorry for all the autoco-wrecked grammar/spelling!