Enclosure Veil of the Religious Victims  of the Sacred Heart

graciandelamadrededios

PAPER OF EXACTIONS

OF THE

Discalced Carmelite Nuns

OF THE ORDER OF

OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL

taken from

the traditions of our Spanish Mothers and Foundresses.

When they have to see the doctor, they should have their great veil lowered and not raise it until they are told to do so, drawing it down again dir­ectly after, but when they have received Extreme Unction, they usually only wear the little veil. They only speak to the doctor when the Mother Prioress, or the Sub-prioress, and in their absence, the Infirmarian tells them to do so; the latter will take care to be beforehand with this permission as soon as the doctor questions them. They should edify him by their patience and moderation, con­tenting themselves with saying what he wishes to know, without showing any eagerness for the remedies which are pleasing to nature, or aversion for those of which it is in dread.

• 2 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

2556C17FAB2D564CE23535564CDCD3.jpg

Carmelita descalza del Monasterio del Carmen de la Concepción, Cuenca, Ecuador.

***Its possible that the nuns are still wearing the great veil til this day????

***Its possible that the nuns are still wearing the great veil til this day????

294D94F575274D24B62C234D24B628.jpg

Capuchinas de Aguascalientes, Mexico

***This the my first time to see a very large and long enclosure veil!!

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, graciandelamadrededios said:

I personally love the grate veils though, in the modern times, it seems impractical. 

Gracian, same here, there is something so beautiful and yet so mysterious about it, reminds me of the words of religious profession in certain orders, "He has set His seal upon my face, that I may admit no other lover but Him."

Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The truth of the matter is that the great veil is from the Muslim influence on Spain. We used to have our veil front come down as it was pinned so that it would cover half the face. It was worn this way on retreat days and going up to the grille, dealing with non-family in the parlor, but not with the family. It was a "modern" influence on Dominican Nuns probably influenced by Carmelites. 

Just a side note...Maronite hermit monk St. Charbel Makhlouf (1828-1898) reportedly never raised his eyes from the ground and his face was shrouded by a cloak--unless his gaze was on the Eucharist!  Thus, the symbolism of veiling (particularly the use of a grate veil) may be quite (spiritually) lofty!  Rather than keeping the person apart from outside or external influences or contacts, it might well be seen as reflective of the power of God--within the wearer.
The metaphor of the "veil being lifted" at death or during moments of contemplative prayer suggests this.  One of the issues here, of course, is if the individual chooses to wear one--or is forced to do so. 

reminiscere

I wonder if St. Teresa of Avila instituted the great/grate veil for her Discalced Reform.

Gracian - in any case I know of one U.S. monastery which still uses it. I think it's a safe bet that their foundations use it as well. 

truthfinder
15 hours ago, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

The truth of the matter is that the great veil is from the Muslim influence on Spain. We used to have our veil front come down as it was pinned so that it would cover half the face. It was worn this way on retreat days and going up to the grille, dealing with non-family in the parlor, but not with the family. It was a "modern" influence on Dominican Nuns probably influenced by Carmelites. 

I seem to remember reading that some medieval nuns did wear a face veil c.12th century.  If what you're saying about the Muslim influence, which I've never come across before, it certainly did spread fast because by the 1600s nuns in teaching convents were wearing them as well. 

Chiquitunga
On June 16, 2016 at 2:59 PM, graciandelamadrededios said:

***Its possible that the nuns are still wearing the great veil til this day???

Gracian, are you sure this is from Cuenca, Ecuador? There is no Monasterio del Carmen de la Concepción I can find there, unless this is one outside the Church or the Order. There are two Carmels in Cuenca, one of the Asunción, the other of San Jose.

http://www.ocd.pcn.net/ocd/n2_ecuador.htm

http://www.revistavance.com/atractivos-turisticos-de-cuenca.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=12&sobi2Id=11

http://carmelitascuenca.org

time to be detectives :detective: :smile2:

Ps I see it's posted on this forum as such, http://liturgia.mforos.mobi/1699114/8503008-carmelitas-descalzas/?pag=3#112993906 who knows how accurate that is though.

they have the picture of jpii though so we know at least they aren't sedevacantist :like2:

Chiquitunga

Could just be also a typo on the mystery of Our Lady the Carmel is named after, Asunción or Concepción.

by the way, some pictures of the Asunción Carmel, http://www.elmercurio.com.ec/440338-el-carmen-guarda-fe-historia-y-arte/#.V2bf4_RHbCQ

It looks similar to Carmen Alto in Quito which they were founded from - but interesting how it says on the outside of their chapel, Marian Sanctuary. I might be mistaken but I think that's a special designation a place of Marian devotion can receive from a bishop. That would be interesting if the public chapel of this Carmel received that. Reminds me of how the public chapel of the Carmel in Buffalo, NY is a National Shrine of St. Therese. I can't think of any other Carmels that are Marian Sanctuaries or National Shrines. Neat :pray:

Edited by Chiquitunga

graciandelamadrededios
On 6/17/2016 at 8:43 PM, reminiscere said:

I wonder if St. Teresa of Avila instituted the great/grate veil for her Discalced Reform.

Gracian - in any case I know of one U.S. monastery which still uses it. I think it's a safe bet that their foundations use it as well. 

Yes, St. Teresa did just that and more.

The reform of St. Teresa was her reaction to the lifestyle she experienced in the Incarnation.

The monastery where St. Teresa entered was a Beaterio dedicated to St. Mary of the Incarnation founded by Dona Elvira Gonzales.  The community eventually petitioned the Provincial that Incarnation be admitted into the Second Order.  The "Beatas" adopted a form of life which contains the features of a convent but retaining the principal features of a Beaterio.  They have noviate and recitation of the Divine Office in common but the Beatas can easily ask permission to leave the convent.  Class distinction was evident; the rich ladies being waited upon by a servant and lived in a suite of rooms.  Their poorer sisters lived in dormitories and most of the time, has to go home or go out to find food for them.  This was the state of the convent when Teresa entered and they have close to 200 Nuns living inside!

The rest is history where we can refer to the Constitutions of St. Teresa, limiting the number of Nuns in each house to 21, no common work room, rough brown frieze (horse blanket) for the habit and course linen for the toque, no extra pleats on the articles of the habit, alpargates for the footwear and wearing of Grate Veils, etc.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios
On 6/17/2016 at 7:15 AM, Sr Mary Catharine OP said:

I emailed several Prioresses in the USA, Australia, UK, etc.  

One Prioress said it could be a Muslim influence in Spain.  

Another Prioress said: "In the days of St. Teresa, this was a very common practice and widely accepted as the norm since all of Europe was still predominately Catholic."

21 hours ago, Chiquitunga said:

Could just be also a typo on the mystery of Our Lady the Carmel is named after, Asunción or Concepción.

by the way, some pictures of the Asunción Carmel, http://www.elmercurio.com.ec/440338-el-carmen-guarda-fe-historia-y-arte/#.V2bf4_RHbCQ

It looks similar to Carmen Alto in Quito which they were founded from - but interesting how it says on the outside of their chapel, Marian Sanctuary. I might be mistaken but I think that's a special designation a place of Marian devotion can receive from a bishop. That would be interesting if the public chapel of this Carmel received that. Reminds me of how the public chapel of the Carmel in Buffalo, NY is a National Shrine of St. Therese. I can't think of any other Carmels that are Marian Sanctuaries or National Shrines. Neat :pray:

Not so sure, Chiqui.  

I never thought any of the existing Carmels veils themselves this way.  A prioress of a 1990 Carmel said they pull their veils down to their eyes but not reaching the nose.

graciandelamadrededios
On 6/17/2016 at 8:43 PM, reminiscere said:

Can you share with us which Carmel????

It would be interesting to try such a veil just to see, or not see!  I mentioned this type of veil to a nun who had worn it at one time and she said she didnt like it because the wearer couldnt see much of anything to the point of it being impractical.  Looking at the number of communities that dont use it anymore Im guessing she wasnt the only one who thought that way.