An Old School Catholic Message Board

Great/grate Veils Of The Discalced Carmelite Nuns

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios
18 minutes ago, vee said:

It would be interesting to try such a veil just to see, or not see!  I mentioned this type of veil to a nun who had worn it at one time and she said she didnt like it because the wearer couldnt see much of anything to the point of it being impractical.  Looking at the number of communities that dont use it anymore Im guessing she wasnt the only one who thought that way.  

It is very interesting to the point it has become a legend, at least here in the Philippines.  Until now, people still thinks that "monjas" or nuns cannot be seen by their family members; they can only see the fingers of nun's hands.  

41 minutes ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

It is very interesting to the point it has become a legend, at least here in the Philippines.  Until now, people still thinks that "monjas" or nuns cannot be seen by their family members; they can only see the fingers of nun's hands.  

:hehe:

Thats funny!  Here, judging by my family and coworkers, most people dont even think nuns exist anymore let alone have strange ideas about them being hidden.  The community Im joining doesnt use the great veil anymore but part of me wishes they did just to see the reactions of my family if they ever visited.... I guess with family the custom was that the veil be lifted but if I had one and left it down I can see some family members being really upset!  "We came all the way here to visit you and we cant even see you?!?!!!"   Or someone might have a sense of humor and say " oh thats good,keeping your face covered is an improvement!"

graciandelamadrededios
2 hours ago, vee said:

:hehe:

Thats funny!  Here, judging by my family and coworkers, most people dont even think nuns exist anymore let alone have strange ideas about them being hidden.  The community Im joining doesnt use the great veil anymore but part of me wishes they did just to see the reactions of my family if they ever visited.... I guess with family the custom was that the veil be lifted but if I had one and left it down I can see some family members being really upset!  "We came all the way here to visit you and we cant even see you?!?!!!"   Or someone might have a sense of humor and say " oh thats good,keeping your face covered is an improvement!"

In the Philippines, we have religious and sometimes, nuns on the streets.  Its common scene.  Though, few congregations switched to wearing secular clothing.  Some still wears the habit sans the veil.

When I attended graduate school at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila, I can only count my courses where I don't have any Nun/Priest classmates.  Most of the time, I have veiled / with clerical collar classmates!

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

On 6/20/2016 at 3:25 PM, graciandelamadrededios said:

In the Philippines, we have religious and sometimes, nuns on the streets.  Its common scene.  Though, few congregations switched to wearing secular clothing.  Some still wears the habit sans the veil.

When I attended graduate school at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila, I can only count my courses where I don't have any Nun/Priest classmates.  Most of the time, I have veiled / with clerical collar classmates!

I think its a blessing to have so many noticeable religious as a common thing.  You mentioned the University of Santo Tomas and coincidentally Id just come across the name while reading a history article.  Very sadly the article was about the Manila Massacre, however its nice to know that slowly things recovered and that the school still exists.

Oh I was going to ask, since the Philippines has many Carmels do any still retain the great veil?

graciandelamadrededios
1 hour ago, vee said:

I think its a blessing to have so many noticeable religious as a common thing.  You mentioned the University of Santo Tomas and coincidentally Id just come across the name while reading a history article.  Very sadly the article was about the Manila Massacre, however its nice to know that slowly things recovered and that the school still exists.

Oh I was going to ask, since the Philippines has many Carmels do any still retain the great veil?

Manila Massacre?  Which year?

None of the Carmels in the Philippines retained the usage of the great veils.  When I visited Manila Carmel, I was able to talk to the Prioresses and Nuns in the Parlor Grille sans spikes (the grille looks very old, and was painted dark brown) and they just wore the day veils - tucked under the scapular. 

20 hours ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

Manila Massacre?  Which year?

None of the Carmels in the Philippines retained the usage of the great veils.  When I visited Manila Carmel, I was able to talk to the Prioresses and Nuns in the Parlor Grille sans spikes (the grille looks very old, and was painted dark brown) and they just wore the day veils - tucked under the scapular. 

graciandelamadrededios
25 minutes ago, vee said:

I see.It was probably during the war.  I have read a lot of massacre during the Japanese occupation in Manila, one of which is my alma mater, Adamson University administered by Vincentian Fathers and Brothers.  The Fathers and Brothers dead bodies were found on the creek.  Same happened with De La Salle University's Brothers of Christian School, also in Manila.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

• 3 weeks later...
graciandelamadrededios

Carmel connected to SSPX

image_carmela_floor.jpg

During the Taking of the Veil by Sr. Theresa Carmela 15th February 2014 .

image_carmela_crucifix.jpg

Sr. Theresa Carmela after the Taking of the Veil, 15th February 2014

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:25 AM, graciandelamadrededios said:

I see.It was probably during the war.  I have read a lot of massacre during the Japanese occupation in Manila, one of which is my alma mater, Adamson University administered by Vincentian Fathers and Brothers.  The Fathers and Brothers dead bodies were found on the creek.  Same happened with De La Salle University's Brothers of Christian School, also in Manila.

How sad!  Were the brothers massacred by the Japanese?

• 1 month later...
graciandelamadrededios

Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Poland - with their veils covering their faces - shorter version of the great veil

4b0de2643fade_o,size,933x0,q,70,h,1369ea.jpg

Teresa.jpg

Shirred / Gathered Day Veil of Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Poland

Hello all :). The picture of the sisters with the veils covering their faces was taken at the Carmelite monastery in Lodz. It is the only Polish Carmelite monastery where this practice is still observed - and the only one following 1991 constitutions (out of all 23 carmels in Poland). The type of veil showed above is used in all carmels in Poland, apart from the monastery in Elblag, where the sisters have a bit different veil, it's not gathered above the forehead.

http://www.karmelelblag.pl/?galeria

Edited by katarzyna

graciandelamadrededios
5 minutes ago, katarzyna said:

Hello all :). The picture of the sisters with the veils covering their faces was taken at the Carmelite monastery in Lodz. It is the only Polish Carmelite monastery where this practice is still observed - and the only one following 1991 constitutions (out of all 23 carmels in Poland). The type of veil showed above is used in all carmels in Poland, apart from the monastery in Elblag, where the sisters have a bit different veil, it's not gathered above the forehead.

you mean 1990 constitutions?

graciandelamadrededios
5 minutes ago, katarzyna said:

Yes! My mistake :)

its okay :)

17 minutes ago, katarzyna said:

I received some beautiful photos of Professed Nun and Novice from Elblag and Lodz Carmel many years ago.

One of their Carmels sent me a book which contains the history and origins of all  Carmels in Poland and their foreign daughter houses but it was written in Polish.