An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Novice - Carmel Of St. Joseph - With Homily

Luigi

http://www.stlouiscarmel.com/video/the-veil-sign-witness-of-gods-presence/

St. Joseph Carmel in St. Louis clothed a novice on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. The link above provides a slide show of still images. The voice-over is the homily by the presider Fr. Bede Price, OSB. . It's titled, "The Veil: Sign and Witness of God's Presence." 

TheresaThoma

Very pretty! Looks like a thriving community, there are quite a few white veils (and black veils) there!

ToJesusMyHeart

I went here on a Nun Run. They have perpetual adoration. :) They are extremely spunky sisters and an utter joy to be with.

Chiquitunga

Really beautiful video and homily there! inperpetuity posted this in the OCD communities thread, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/121149-discalced-carmelite-nun-communities/?p=2601423  That thread has kind of become a compilation of all things Carmelite :smile4:

She went to Thomas Aquinas College ~ http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/alumni/faith-action-blog/sr-maria-battista-lamb-god

Their adoration is actually throughout the day and they have Benediction every evening when they reserve the Blessed Sacrament for the night. Very unique for Carmel. I've never heard of this at any other Carmel in the world. I have heard some other Carmels comment that adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is not specifically a part of the charism of Carmel, the focus being more on solitude in the cell/seeking the hidden Christ/Indwelling Trinity, although all Carmels have some exposition, some more than others, and of course a great love for adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Each one is unique. 

edit to add a little explanation of the adoration ~ http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/121149-discalced-carmelite-nun-communities/?p=2601716

Edited by Chiquitunga

inperpetuity

Their monastery and chapel are beautiful.  I will be in St. Louis the end of August and will be stopping there for a quick visit.

That's the second-oldest Carmel in the US. They've founded a number of daughter houses - one in Louisiana; Jefferson City, MO; Springfield, MO; I think Sioux City, IA; one in Guam; I think one in California; I don't know where all else. 

graciandelamadrededios

That's the second-oldest Carmel in the US. They've founded a number of daughter houses - one in Louisiana; Jefferson City, MO; Springfield, MO; I think Sioux City, IA; one in Guam; I think one in California; I don't know where all else. 

Yes, you are right.  St. Louis Carmel is the second oldest in the USA.  They have been founded by Baltimore Carmel in 1863.  Baltimore Carmel was founded by Hoogstraet Carmel in 1790.  This Carmel was one of the English-speaking Carmel in Low Countries which can be traced from the original companions and close colaborators of St. Teresa - Mother Anne of Jesus and Mother Anne of St. Bartholomew.  Both fled to the Low Countries due to their conflict with Cardinal Berulle.

St. Louis Carmel gave birth to the following monasteries of Discalced Carmelite Nuns in the USA:

1. New Orleans Carmel founded in 1877

2. Alhambra Carmel founded in 1913

3. Cleveland Carmel founded in 1923

4. Jackson Carmel founded in 1951

5. Springfield Carmel founded in 1965

St. Louis Carmel and its daughter Carmels are of Belgian line.

Sioux City Carmel was founded by Loretto Carmel in 1962.  Loretto Carmel was founded from Gignac Carmel in France in 1927.  Loretto Carmel and its daughter Carmels are of French line.

Jefferson City Carmel was founded by Santa Fe Carmel in 1960.  Santa Fe Carmel was founded by Dallas Carmel in 1945 and Dallas Carmel was founded from Tulancingo Carmel in 1928 when the Mexican Nuns fled to the USA due to religious persecution.  Dallas Carmel and its daughter houses are of Spanish-Mexican line.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

To Jesus Through Mary

Oh my goodness that homily was amazing! So inspiring. Thanks for posting that. 

• 4 months later...

First Profession of Sr. Gemma Rose in St. Louis Carmel ~ http://vimeo.com/71304785  :heart: I met her before she entered. very happy for her! :)

It's interesting to see how they do the professions there, in the chapter room. This is a tradition in Carmel, but at some point some Carmels started doing it in the Nuns' choir. Gracian, do you know more about this?

graciandelamadrededios

First Profession of Sr. Gemma Rose in St. Louis Carmel ~ http://vimeo.com/71304785  :heart: I met her before she entered. very happy for her! :)

It's interesting to see how they do the professions there, in the chapter room. This is a tradition in Carmel, but at some point some Carmels started doing it in the Nuns' choir. Gracian, do you know more about this?

Hi Chiqui!

This is the reply from one of the Prioress:

Before Vatican II families were invited to attend the Clothing ceremony but not the Profession which was witnessed by the Community only.

Another Prioress replied:

In Carmel, before Vatican II, both first and final profession were private, in the presence of the community only.

This is customary for Carmel before Vatican II, so each monastery are compelled to follow this.  After Vatican II, each community may decide what is the best for the community and for the family of the nun-to-be-clothed or professed.

graciandelamadrededios

Hi Chiqui!

I forgot which thread where you asked when the origin of wearing white bridal dress began within the religious orders - cloistered and active communities of Nuns.

I was reading a book about marriage and I found out the women started wearing white gown after Queen Victoria wore a white gown on her wedding.  Women copied the trend and it may have trickled into the practices of the religious communities.  After, all the habit of Nuns is a peasant woman's attire and this practice was adapted by the religious.

Gracian

http://www.stlouiscarmel.com/video/the-veil-sign-witness-of-gods-presence/

St. Joseph Carmel in St. Louis clothed a novice on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. The link above provides a slide show of still images. The voice-over is the homily by the presider Fr. Bede Price, OSB. . It's titled, "The Veil: Sign and Witness of God's Presence." 

I really liked the way the video is presented with the homily as voice-over to the stills.

Hi Chiqui!

This is the reply from one of the Prioress:

Before Vatican II families were invited to attend the Clothing ceremony but not the Profession which was witnessed by the Community only.

Another Prioress replied:

In Carmel, before Vatican II, both first and final profession were private, in the presence of the community only.

This is customary for Carmel before Vatican II, so each monastery are compelled to follow this.  After Vatican II, each community may decide what is the best for the community and for the family of the nun-to-be-clothed or professed.

Thank you so much for sharing that! :like:

Hi Chiqui!

I forgot which thread where you asked when the origin of wearing white bridal dress began within the religious orders - cloistered and active communities of Nuns.

I was reading a book about marriage and I found out the women started wearing white gown after Queen Victoria wore a white gown on her wedding.  Women copied the trend and it may have trickled into the practices of the religious communities.  After, all the habit of Nuns is a peasant woman's attire and this practice was adapted by the religious.

Gracian

vee8 was thinking the same thing here, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/129234-wedding-dresses-when-did-communities-start-using-them/#.Uox8wRzBU08

Edited by Chiquitunga