An Old School Catholic Message Board

Clothing, And What Is Worn Before It.

maximillion

maximillion

I wanted to start a thread about how people feel and what they think about clothes worn during Aspirancy/Postulancy.

Lots of Communities have a formal unifrom, (e.g. the Nashies) some are very similar to the actually habit some are dis-similar, some wear modest lay clothing with maybe a crucifix or a medal.

When it comes time for clothing, there is obviously a much more marked change if one has been in lay clothes.

I was in lay clothes for six weeks, then changed to a grey skirt, white blouse with cardigan, and wore a little mantilla for LOTH and Mass for six months, so the change into the full habit was very marked and I imagine it made a bigger impression on me than it would have if I had already been wearing something that looked habit like with the addition of a veil.

What do others think?

Pax_et bonum

The Poor Sisters of St. Clare changed their postulant dress to be less like a habit. When they were the Franciscan Sisters Minor, this was their habit (sorry for the huge picture).

35fsmwelcome7208.jpg

And the postulant dress was very much like it just without the veil and a belt instead of the cord.

IMG_4240.JPG

In the interest of poverty, they kept the two postulants in the old style dress, but postulants now wear a jumper with a white shirt under. I suppose they had the same opinion as you of the habit making a bigger impression with the postulant dress being dissimilar. 

IMG_4002.JPG

TheresaThoma

I like having a "uniform". I think it simplifies many things like laundry (you don't have to worry about things shrinking or colors bleeding from something being washed in the wrong load).  The uniform can be very simple like a blouse and skirt or a jumper and skirt. 

One trend I have noticed with veils is if the Sisters wear a full traditional veil (wimple etc). Then the postulants usually will wear a short modified veil. I would think that would help make the adjustment to the full "head gear" a bit easier. 

I HATE jumpers.

HATE.

HATE.

HATE.

It is a PENANCE of the GREATEST MAGNITUDE to force a young woman to wear one of those things!!!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I HATE jumpers.

HATE.

HATE.

HATE.

It is a PENANCE of the GREATEST MAGNITUDE to force a young woman to wear one of those things!!!

Sorry about your "love" of jumpers. Most postulants quickly don't worry too much about what they are wearing. The work of "losing ones self" to belong totally to God becomes more important.

I hated the postulant veils we had to wear at the time but since I was learning to grow in the virtue of penance it gave me something to start on!

OnlySunshine

I HATE jumpers.

HATE.

HATE.

HATE.

That's crazy!  I LOVE jumpers!  I have a denim one that I wear to Church a lot and it's very comfy!  :)

OnlySunshine

In the last order I applied to, they have their American postulants wear lay clothes that are similar in color to the Sisters' habits.  The current postulant in the USA wears button up white blouses and long skirts.  When they transfer to the European motherhouse for their formal postulancy year, they are invested in the postulant jumper which is black and has a v-neck and a belt.  It's very becoming. 

The Carmelite DCJ Sisters (which I applied to 4 years ago) have a brown jumper that is the same material as the Sisters' habits.  You wear it with a white button-up l/s blouse.  :)

BarbTherese

Saw a pic of my cousin yesterday (funeral) in a Juniorate College (back then for young girls thinking about religious life to study in their senior years at college).  She looked so very cute and almost postulant like.  Postulant dress, but the cutest little black hat on her head.

Chiquitunga

I posted my favorites here :like: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/107348-your-favorite-postulant-outfit/  I really like the old postulant dresses with the cape tops for Carmelites since for one thing, it helps you get used to putting your arms under something, which you will have to do with the scapular once you are clothed. And those dresses really were still pretty different from the full Habit. 

Alright, so another Carmel that has one like this is Brooklyn. Here I took some still shots from the video on youtube on them (they are mostly in part 2)

28wm8pf.jpg

2k31uc.jpg

I really don't mind the jumpers though (although not so much specifically for Carmel! lol) Each community can discern what works best for them. :like:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I always find it curious when people mention that the cap is helpful for postulants for them to start learning how to put their hands under their scapulars. I remember reading that in MY BELOVED and thinking what a neat idea it was. When I received the habit it was just a natural thing to do because everyone else around you is doing it, too! Remembering NOT to sit on your scapular was harder.

The skirt, blouse, cap was basically "uniform" for all postulants at one time, at least in the US. I know that in Europe most postulants just wore their secular clothes. Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity wore her own dress but they gave her a cape to wear over it.

And for awhile that mop cap was standard, too! We have a photo of our Sr. Mary of the Immaculate Heart wearing hers and it was such a frilly little thing!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I posted my favorites here :like: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/107348-your-favorite-postulant-outfit/  I really like the old postulant dresses with the cape tops for Carmelites since for one thing, it helps you get used to putting your arms under something, which you will have to do with the scapular once you are clothed. And those dresses really were still pretty different from the full Habit. 

I really don't mind the jumpers though (although not so much specifically for Carmel! lol) Each community can discern what works best for them. :like:

The 2nd part of that video clip was filmed at the former Dominican monastery in Newark, NJ, the first in the USA. It's hard to see it with friars in it but they have done a good job renovating. It needed it badly! The hallway with the crucifix looks so much better!

Sr. Mary Catharine,

You don't sit on your scapular?  Do you lift the back of it up before you sit down?  Is this done because...it would be disrespectful to sit on it?  This is fascinating. I have never heard this before. 

Why are the hands hidden?  I've noticed it in pictures but I never knew why that was done. 

emma8201986

We have discussed postulant uniforms before.  Another poster previously mentioned that she liked some sort of view so you didn't look like a Catholic high school student.  I agree.  I like a simple uniform like the Nashies or DSMMEs but add a little veil - maybe like possies of old wore.  I like the idea of everyone being the same right from the begining and not worrying about clothes.

When I am a postulant next year (God willing) I will wear the tunic and scapular, but no clerical collar or hood (the English Benedictine 'elephant ears' hoods are detachable).

OnlySunshine

Sr. Mary Catharine,

You don't sit on your scapular?  Do you lift the back of it up before you sit down?  Is this done because...it would be disrespectful to sit on it?  This is fascinating. I have never heard this before. 

Why are the hands hidden?  I've noticed it in pictures but I never knew why that was done. 

The Carmelite DCJ Sisters don't sit on their scapulars either because it's blessed at Profession of Vows.  They pull the back part over to the side and either sit next to it or have it on their lap.  If they are kneeling, they fold the front part so they are not kneeling directly on the scapular.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae