An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In The World Is Allie?

Gabriela

Several months ago, Allie called me and told me that she was going to visit the Poor Clares. We scheduled for her to come visit me after her live-in experience was over. She said she'd call when she was on her way here. I was expecting her on a Friday. Friday passed: no call. Saturday passed: no call. I emailed to see if she was ok: no response. I emailed again: no response.

Nor have I seen her on PM since then.

Someone please at least tell me that you know Allie to be alive.

ChristinaTherese

Well, the last time we knew anything about her whereabouts she was with the Poor Clares, right? Does anyone know which community so maybe you (or someone) can ask them? This is really beginning to be weird, and it would be nice to know that she's at least alive....

OnlySunshine

Maybe she's completing an aspirancy or live-in and doesn't have access to a phone or email?  :unsure:

It is strange when something like this happens. 

I had it happen a few years back with one of the VS PMers; she spent some time with her community, we spoke on the phone and exchanged emails after she left them, we literally had a day and time to connect on her way home!  However, no contact at that time... and she simply disappeared off the face of the earth... wouldn't respond to PMs, phone calls, nothing.  Never again posted on Phatmass...

I can only think that for some reason, that PMer decided God wasn't asking her to go in, or that the community suggested terminating contact with me and with us... or that she just decided to just move on. I will admit I was very hurt and very concerned about her for many months afterwards.   I'm sure she didn't intend it, but it did hurt... a lot.   Now I have entrusted her to God, but I still think it was handled badly. 

I have no way of knowing what is going on with Allie, and I do hope we hear something, as it is a little scary when this happens.  I'm sure Allie is fine, but if anyone does find out for sure, I am sure we would all like to just know she is OK, and I am sure she knows we are praying for her...

Maybe it would be a good commitment for all of us... let people know you are OK before you walk off into the sunset.

Edited by AnneLine

I know the Poor Clares she went to see. I interviewed them. I could easily write to them. I just don't know that it would be appropriate to, especially since I'm not family.

I thought, too, that maybe she decided to stay longer, to do an aspirancy, but this was her first visit with them, and so far as I recall, her commitment to her employer was not yet finished. So it makes me think she left the monastery and simply didn't resume contact with anyone. I do know she was majorly minimizing internet use at the time she went to see them. Perhaps she cut it off entirely upon returning to the world? That might be a good sign... a sign she is preparing to enter. But on the other hand, if she is simply too ashamed to re-post because the Poor Clares weren't it... I just wouldn't understand. I mean, we all try out different places. We're not called to all of them.

I don't want to speculate. I just want to know she's ok. Maybe I should try calling? I do have her number...

If you have her number, I'd try giving it a call.  But you may have the same experience of having no one respond.  And that is hard, so prepare yourself.

You could call Mother Abbess if you feel you know her well enough, and let her know you are not prying, but just concerned that something could have happened to her.  If she reassures you she is fine, you would have to just let it go.  Do you know if that community has aspirancies?  If they do, it's a definite possibility... she might have just told her employer she needed additional time without pay or something.

Sometimes if someone is preparing to enter, communities to suggest cutting off a relationship for one reason or another... but I think it would be kinder to at least have the person send an email or leave a message to that effect.  Hard as it is to get a message like that, it is much less troublesome than simply not knowing if the person is ok.  My 2 cents, and no community (or would-be sister!) need to listen to me!!!

Curiousing, I'll keep you in my prayers... I know how hard this can be... :console:

If you have her number, I'd try giving it a call.  But you may have the same experience of having no one respond.  And that is hard, so prepare yourself.

You could call Mother Abbess if you feel you know her well enough, and let her know you are not prying, but just concerned that something could have happened to her.  If she reassures you she is fine, you would have to just let it go.  Do you know if that community has aspirancies?  If they do, it's a definite possibility... she might have just told her employer she needed additional time without pay or something.

Sometimes if someone is preparing to enter, communities to suggest cutting off a relationship for one reason or another... but I think it would be kinder to at least have the person send an email or leave a message to that effect.  Hard as it is to get a message like that, it is much less troublesome than simply not knowing if the person is ok.  My 2 cents, and no community (or would-be sister!) need to listen to me!!!

Curiousing, I'll keep you in my prayers... I know how hard this can be... :console:

This is good advice, AnneLine. Thank you. :-) I will try to call Allie this weekend, and if I can't reach her, I'll ask Mother Abbess to simply let me know if she's ok, without divulging any other information. I don't want to violate her privacy. If I hear anything, I'll let you all know.

In the meantime, prayers are much appreciated, too. :-)

I'm glad you brought this up, because another member on here took notice that Allie was MIA and we didn't know if we should have made mention of it! Now that we know there was plans after her visit.. I can say.. It is very worrysome!! My first thought would be to make contact with the Poor Clares as well! She is like family to us on here!!

Spem in alium

Gosh! :unsure: That would be quite worrying. I hope all is okay with her. Praying, definitely! 

Marie Villalovos Smith

She post this in her "about me" section, don't know if this helps at all. 

"Meant to do this sooner. On the avatar, I'm the taller one with my bff Lydia.  I'm her maid of honor this July. You know the rest.  :saint2:  :saint2:"

maximillion

Maybe shes on a live in untill the wedding then will enter.  We can only hope and pray that this is what is happening.

In any event, prayers for Allie.........

Marie V-S and Max, that is what she had on her Phatmass About Me status as well.   But the last time she checked into Phatmass was the day before she went to the Monastery.  So.... more likely than not, that is not recent info, unless those of you who are Facebook users can tell if she has been on there more recently than early June.

I still think we shouldn't leap to any conclusions.  If Curiousing has her number and feels comfortable checking calling this weekend, that would be wonderful.  Most likely she either extended her stay and didn't realize she would scare anyone, or has been asked to cut back and/or stop social media and she didn't realize how unnerving it can be for others to not know what is happening.

But, as I noted before, I think it is a big wake-up call to all those who are pursuing vocations to be sure to let others know what is going on so no one gets worried.   Holding her -- and all of us! -- in my prayers.