An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gift Suggestions

savvy

My Mum is going to make a visit with me to the sisters when I enter the community, next month. She wants to get the sisters something, so was asking me about what they would like. I have no clue. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas.

Sponsa-Christi

Maybe some nice fresh fruit? Fresh fruit is tasty and healthy, but can be a little expensive sometimes. So it's something that most religious would be delighted to have, but which they wouldn't always buy for themselves.

I second the fruit suggestion. Something that they wouldn't grow or buy for themselves - when I was on my live-in, a sister's father came to visit and bought lots of cherries and strawberries and it was such a treat. 

When I go to visit my friends who are Poor Clares, I try to bring them foodstuffs they wouldn't or could't buy for themselves.

Kayte Postle

I third the fruit suggestion as well. Stamps are also a good gift. Sisters send out a lot of mail, and postage can be expensive.

Fruit, chocolates, sweets, stamps, religious festival cards, books (they have a need for certain titles -  ask first what could be appropriate), office equipment. If you're totally stuck then a nice card indicating a financial donation works just as well  :hehe2:

I just sent off a gift to a Poor Clare. I sent her a financial donation and a book of stamps and a pack of Jelly Belly jelly beans! (Plus a wonderful blessed scapular made just for her) o;-)

Your "mum," eh? I take it you're not in the States. 

Here in the States, I'd prefer to order something from a monastery - a Trappist fruitcake, soap from the Benedictines of Perpetual Adoration or the Summit Dominicans, candy from the Iowa Trappistines, that kind of thing. Shipping outside of the States would be prohibitively expensive, if the monastery would even consider it. 

But are there any monastery-made products in your area? That way you support one religious organization while you give to another. The products are usually quite good, although a bit on the expensive side. But it's not an everyday expense either - it's a special, one-time purchase. 

maximillion

Stamps,

fruit (fresh and dried)

Stationary items

Teas, including fruit and herbal.

Hot chocolate in those little sachets.

Coffee substitute or coffee if they use it.

Nuts (fresh and roasted)

A locally produced cheese or a big wedge of cheese.

Craft items like fabric and yarn (for little work during recreation)., ribbons, holy pictures, raffia, twine etc.

Fruit and vegetable seeds - especially ones that might not be too common, like a yellow tomato or  Romanesque cauliflower, tenderstalk broccoli etc.

Unusual squash in bottles, like tropical or mango......

Your "mum," eh? I take it you're not in the States. 

No, I am not. I am however joining a community in the States. My Mum is coming for a few days because she wants to meet the community and stuff.

The stamps, food, financial donation are excellent ideas--and particularly Luigi's suggestion of monastery-made

items.  My Poor Clare friend told me that one of their visitors once brought them a box of tooth brushes and tooth-

paste (which they greatly appreciated!).