An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women's Orders!

Benedictus

Benedictus, this is all you need ;)

http://www.benedictines.org.uk/

Well, if only that was true  :hehe2: Although I am considering two EBC communities there are a few aspects that make me keep searching onward, just in case I've missed something  :bounce:

Lilllabettt

Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara

Those discerning with the IVE institute should know that the male branch has been troubled and has required Vatican intervention in the leadership structure multiple times. The female branch is canonically separate but shares deeply in the culture and practice of the male branch. 

http://www.iveinfo.org/

Caution and prudence are in order whenever discerning with a "newer" community - regardless of how well they seem to be established. The beginning is always very, very hard.

Edited by Lilllabettt

Those discerning with the IVE institute should know that the male branch has been troubled and has required Vatican intervention in the leadership structure multiple times. The female branch is canonically separate but shares deeply in the culture and practice of the male branch. 

http://www.iveinfo.org/

Caution and prudence are in order whenever discerning with a "newer" community - regardless of how well they seem to be established. The beginning is always very, very hard.

Thank you Lillabett, it is important to know these facts about new orders when discerning.

I for first am a person who doesn't rely on anyone just because they are priests, or founders, or whatever.

I also know that blog. I also know quite well the order.

What can I say then?

I can't answer for the accusations against fr. Buela (but also, I haven't heard of specific accusations: they are all quite vague). I also read the last article that you can find in the blog. It is really interesting and it seems to be written by a person who knows well the facts but I don't like very much the style of the writer (he seems to be proud of his culture -see the chapter: "the portrait of the priest as a Young man" and similar, and his attitude "I am the only one who really knows the facts"). And the same is for the blog's author.

I can't say of course this is a matter of black/White facts. I had direct contacts with the blog's author  and my simple impression is: even if he can say some truths, I find something in him too that doesn't persuade me too much.

Anyway, this said, I'd like to simply share some opinions based on my personal experience. I personally met a few times the founder (of course not alone but in particular in one occasion I had the privilege to visit his home and share a tea with other women) and I got a very good impression. I didn't have at all the idea of the cult of the person as he seems a very simple and cheerful man. He said really interesting things that made me think.

It is obvious you can't judge a person only by this, but well...

I personally notice that there is a little difference between the male and the female branch.

I think the problems were mainly with the male branch. It is true they are linked but I think the female branch is very healthy. I've known wonderful women there. I have more than a friend there and I visit them quite often. The mother superiors too are wonderful: they are the sweetest, and most charitable and most  lovingly persons you could meet.

So honestly I'd say: in my opinion, if you are a woman, you have nothing to fear. And the fact that there are lots of persons who enter as postulants or novices and then leave, doesn't mean that there is  manipulation with the vocations, on the contrary there is a deep liberty to discern.

Sorry for the long post but I think I should encourage those discerning with this order (if this is God's will for them of course)

To Jesus Through Mary

Having been in the Institute, I can tell you the male and female branch and nearly one-in-the-same in regards to structure and formation. They have a different formation process then any other order I have seen and there growth pains. Some of the holiest and kindest priests I know come from this order... but there is definitely a patriarchal structure, and there is certain air of clericalism. There are not American in their processes, that is for sure. Their mission is beautiful. I learned so much there. I loved my superior and my class very much. But I would recommend anyone discerning, any order (especially one less then 50 years old), ask a lot of questions. Do I have to raise funds? How much time will I have to contact family? Who will be in charge of my formation? How much formation do they have? Who will be my spiritual director? How much experience do they have? and so on. Ask the hard questions before entering. It could save you a lot of heartache. 

PhuturePriest

Is it really necessary at this point to state that they are women's Orders? Around here it's kind of just assumed. :P

Is it really necessary at this point to state that they are women's Orders? Around here it's kind of just assumed. :P

:smile4:

Lilllabettt

. Do I have to raise funds?

That is one particular aspect of the SSVM organization which gives me pause. Each individual Sister is expected to raise money from her particular benefactors. Unless things have changed, there is a "target" for each Sister to raise for each month.

From my perspective that practice has a lot of potential for abuse. Obviously it is easier for Sisters from wealthier families to do this.  Sisters who come from poor families and cannot ask mom and dad to pony up might struggle to meet their target; they might be made to feel they are not "earning their keep." Biased formation might develop. Just so many ways it could turn into a mess.

I'm not saying any of this has EVER happened in any of the SSVM communities. But human nature being what it is, it seems like a less than prudent practice to me.  When I was a Sister we were actively discouraged from asking our families for ANYTHING. They could donate things but it was supposed to be entirely THEIR idea.

To Jesus Through Mary

That is one particular aspect of the SSVM organization which gives me pause. Each individual Sister is expected to raise money from her particular benefactors. Unless things have changed, there is a "target" for each Sister to raise for each month.

From my perspective that practice has a lot of potential for abuse. Obviously it is easier for Sisters from wealthier families to do this.  Sisters who come from poor families and cannot ask mom and dad to pony up might struggle to meet their target; they might be made to feel they are not "earning their keep." Biased formation might develop. Just so many ways it could turn into a mess.

I'm not saying any of this has EVER happened in any of the SSVM communities. But human nature being what it is, it seems like a less than prudent practice to me.  When I was a Sister we were actively discouraged from asking our families for ANYTHING. They could donate things but it was supposed to be entirely THEIR idea.

It was a pretty hard spot for me. The family members who could afford it, wouldn't because they were pretty anti-Catholic. You could tell the sisters whose families donated. But when I was discerning to reenter, that was not a factor. But the waters have the potential of being murky, that is for sure. I think it is a good idea to allow families to decide to donate on their own. Prevents even the appearance of impropriety.  

I only every discerned and entered (and left)  with the SSVM so only know how they raise money. And have heard the way SSVM does it is not how other orders do so I have been curious as to how other orders get money, food etc. for the sisters?

I only every discerned and entered (and left)  with the SSVM so only know how they raise money. And have heard the way SSVM does it is not how other orders do so I have been curious as to how other orders get money, food etc. for the sisters?

Most of the older established orders have a more stable financial picture and are therefore able to support those entering because those before them set the ground work. The income sources depend on the apostolates that they do. If sisters work as chaplains (hospitals, campus, prisons) then they may get paid. The same goes if they work as teachers, university lecturers or whatever it maybe. It's usually the case that money earned by the individual religious becomes that communal money of the community, as does all property that they have that isn't disposed of before they take life vows (this may vary, depending on the statues but this is typical after solemn vows). This money can be banked, invested and so on, Aside from outside work the community may rely on donations of money, land or items or their own industry (making altar breads, rosaries, jams, cakes, vestments, growing veggies or fruits for sale). As most aren't new to doing this type of thing they are in a better financial position to support those in formation, whereas new institutes often aren't.