An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

HisChildForever

yes the biblical canon was voted on by committee, yup, that sure sounds divinely inspired to me....

Why would God create mankind if He didn't want to work with us in spreading His message?

HisChildForever

no my little simpleton, all you have to do is read the passages I posted, it should be obvious if you read....I notice this is a recurring theme in this forum, you cite passages, give examples of the treatment of women in the bible and the faithful here must close their eyes and say "where? where? I didn't see anything you didn't give any examples" . take your little finger put it on your mouse button and click.....

Okay, to get this moving. Do you remember if you mentioned this toward the beginning or middle of the thread? I'll go back and pull it up for you. But you have to work with me here because there's a lot of pages to go through. I vaguely remember you giving a verse from 1 Timothy but I wasn't in the discussion then.

HisChildForever

Yes, the Church is God-inspired when the bishops gather in council to declare aspects of the faith. That is a part of the faith of the ancient Church, a part that was rejected in the 16th century by the Protestant Reformers, and evidently in the 21st century by atheists, who often sound a lot like Protestants when it comes to religious matters.

I think our new atheist friends are used to debating CARM Christians. It would explain a lot.

Vincent Vega

That's why I wanted a recap of Medic's argument with the supporting texts. I didn't want to read (at the time) 22 pages of drivel. 

It's my self imposed penance.

Medic in my humble opinion I don't think all the stuff in the o.t. actually happened...I do believe the text was inspired by God though...With that said I dont believe God was down with raping women or killing women and child....I don't believe a world wide flood happened either....Science pretty much says it didn't.....Do I think any of the stories happened in the o.t. ? Ya mabey....But anyhow whem Jesus comes he pretty much flips the script on the o.t. Ya he does say he doesn't come to write it off but at the same time He contradicts it....He forgives the adulter instead of having her stoned to death....He eats and hangs out with the outkast....He calls out the self important religious people...He says to love your enemy and not murder him...Ect ect ect.....Jesus was God...God doesn't change...I think it shows as others have said in this thread mankinds growing relationship to God and coming into a friendship with him and knowing him for the peacefull loving God He really is.......An example might be watching Jordan play the game of basketball....If you only seen him on the court and his ruthless competive edge you might think he's the biggest a##ho*e but you still have to admit he's the best....You only know him as the leave it on the floor competitor....The man who will let nothing stop him from his goals....Ruthless...Heartless....Although when you actually come into friendship with him you see him away from the game.....You see his love for his children and his family.....You see all the good deeds he does.....You see the friendships he has.....You see him visting kids with cancer sick in the hospital.....You get the whole picture and it changes your impression of him and how he is viewed.....This is a bad example because Jordan is just a flawed human but I thought it might get my point across.....In the o.t. you get God on gamedays....How the Jews seen Him playing right beside Him....Even if all these stories didn't actually happen you get a glimpse of a God who was the best and knew He was the best and if you stood in his way that was it for you....In the new t. We get to see God for who He really is and He offers that friendship to the human race not just the jew...And He corrects the Jews where they may have got some things messed up...Today in this day and age you have to admit Christianity is a force for good......I don't see how that can be denied......Ya it may have a shady past but where its at now it helps people and it changes lives for the better.....The Church does a lot of good things for the poor and gives a lot of hope to people without it......In the end God exist or He/She/It doesn't.....Its one of the 2.....If God does exist I honestly believe Christiianity is the way God has revealded Him/Her/It to the human race......We have moved past the o.t. if you only dwell on that though you won't see the whole picture....Godbless bro......

Edited by Guest

SEXISM & CHILD ABUSE WITHIN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH - ITS ALL OVER THE NEWS - EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S TRUE

Instead of trying to deny it exists perhaps you theists should tell us what you're doing to root it out.

Why not burn all the hate filled holy books and start again.

Why not sell up all them church owned properties and antiquities to feed the hungry.

Why not admit that child abuse is rampant throughout the church and put into place a serious, transparrent and fair investigation.

Why not stop being so secretive and open up your secret libraries and wrong doings of the past.

Let's face it. If your so called god had any shred of decency these things would have been done years ago. Maybe they wouldn't of happened in the first place if the church was actually moral and just.

PS sorry about three posts in a row

I agree that the Catholic Church has a problem with sexual abuse but what does that have to do with whether God exists or not? or if the bible is true?

1. Table is right, where they burn books they also burn men.

2. This is a common bleat. But the Church doesn't have the right to sell the priceless art etc. It belongs to all Christians - to ME - and I don't approve of the Sistine Chapel being sold to whatever billionaire can pony up the largest bid. It's not private property, it is the patrimony, the heritage of Roman Catholics.
3. Sure. But I wouldn't use the word rampant. Statistics bear out that there's less of this in the Church than in say, public schools or the general public. Problem is there should be zero of it in the church.

4. Secret libraries? Which secret library? State secrets, such as any nation-state, don't count.

But again these don't have anything to do with whether God exists or not...

1. I've burnt a bible and I still smile about it now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it god.

Well you showed him!!!

atheism is a religion like "off" is a tv channel....

Fortunately, when the TV's turned off, unlike atheists, it just shuts up, and doesn't continue to endlessly spout noise and drivel.