An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

It is a broad question, the point is, how could any supreme benevolent being tolerate any misogynistic teachings. The bible is rife with such examples, it gives the impression the biblical deity condones such behavior.

Ok.  Here's my broad answer.  I'll refer you to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, specifically paragraph's 101-141; the section on Sacred Scripture.  Here's a link- http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__PO.HTM  A paragraph you might find particularly helpful is 110, I'll quote it here in full: 

110 In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression.76                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    76. DV 12 # 2. (note DV stands for Dei Verbum, the Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation from Vatican II.  It's Also available online at the Vatican Website: http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html The relevant source is approximately 1/3 of the way down the page.)

Now that we've got that out of the way, how about a specific question that someone could actually engage? 

Edited by Amppax

KnightofChrist

Ok.  Here's my broad answer.  I'll refer you to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, specifically paragraph's 101-141; the section on Sacred Scripture.  Here's a link- http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__PO.HTM  A paragraph you might find particularly helpful is 110, I'll quote it here in full: 

Don't feed the troll lol, make'em get off his/her fat boot and prove his/her premise.

Don't feed the troll lol, make'em get off his/her fat boot and prove his/her premise.

I don't have much else going on, I'm considering it a mortification.  :like: 

No matter what verse I attempt to quote the religious apologist will find some way to distort it so it fits their perspective...instead of sitting here sending each other bible quotes how about engaging in meaningful dialogue instead of sending me to post bible verses from a book most of you have never read. ;)

No matter what verse I attempt to quote the religious apologist will find some way to distort it so it fits their perspective...instead of sitting here sending each other bible quotes how about engaging in meaningful dialogue instead of sending me to post bible verses from a book most of you have never read. ;)

I'm a theology major, and have spent a decent amount of time reading the Bible.  I would in no way consider myself an expert, I'm much more of a beginner, but I've read (just about) the entire Bible at one point or another.  I've read (and studied in classes) probably about 80% of it in the last year.  Again, I'm no expert, but I know a bit.  

The fundamental issue here is that you will accuse me (or anyone else who is silly enough to try and seriously engaging you) with "distorting" the text.  What this tells me is that no matter what I respond with, you'll dismiss it as "distortion." I'm willing to waste some of my time with this, but not a ton.  I'm sure we both have better things to do with our time.  

If you're going to ignore what I've already posted, or dismiss it as distortion, then I'm pretty sure we're done here.  

Edited by Amppax

KnightofChrist

No matter what verse I attempt to quote the religious apologist will find some way to distort it so it fits their perspective...

Well that way of thinking will certainly help bring you comfort, when you're baseless charges are smashed to pieces. Well that is if you ever actually make a coherent, sound, actual argument in favor of your position.

instead of sitting here sending each other bible quotes how about engaging in meaningful dialogue instead of sending me to post bible verses from a book most of you have never read. ;)

If you are going to make the charge the Bible teaches X, it's on you to show the Bible teaches X. If you can't provide proof of your assertions, you shouldn't bother asking for meaningful dialogue, that cannot exist without you giving meaningful evidence.

Also do note the Phatmass world doesn't not revolve around you newbie, this is about the 1,000,000,000th time this discussion has taken place here. So don't be surprised if all you get is a big old... ahhh... *yawn*.

I do admire how you skillfully evade my original question. The problem is you haven't even attempted to answer it, no one here has. If it is your stance that misogyny doesn't exist in the bible then I will assume you have never read it. It's much easier to just dismiss me because you don't want to consider how hateful the bible is...Perhaps your right, I am wasting my time here with people content enough to stay safe and warm in their delusions....good day sir :)

KnightofChrist

I do admire how you skillfully evade my original question. The problem is you haven't even attempted to answer it, no one here has. If it is your stance that misogyny doesn't exist in the bible then I will assume you have never read it. It's much easier to just dismiss me because you don't want to consider how hateful the bible is...Perhaps your right, I am wasting my time here with people content enough to stay safe and warm in their delusions....good day sir :)

Oh I'll answer it as easy as you asked it. Misogyny is not taught in the Bible. The End.

Oh I'll answer it as easy as you asked it. Misogyny is not taught in the Bible. The End.

Then I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension skills ;)

If you want an better answer (I've given you one, but you seem to have ignored it) post your question in the Church Scholars/Q&A section. Here's a link http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/13-catholic-qa-ask-a-scholar/   The answer, Like Knight said, is that misogyny isn't taught in Scripture.  Incorrect exegesis has, at times, definitely been used to support misogyny, no question.   But correct exegesis can't (note CAN'T) give a misogynistic interpretation.  I'm sure you'll dismiss this answer as a "distortion."  Oh well.  

Why do you waste your time doing this? 

Edit: exegesis is interpretation.  

Edited by Amppax

Quote a verse and we can talk about it...I have read the Bible and I'm very critical of it...I relate with a lot of atheist in that aspect...Welcome to phatmass....Its a cool place...Don't worry about the smug jerks...

KnightofChrist

Then I suggest you brush up on your reading comprehension skills ;)

I've read the Bible countless times. I've not seen misogyny taught within it because it is not taught within it. But you believe it is, so provide evidence.

Put up, or shut up.