An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Glaring Misogyny In The Bible?

Medic

Let's start with 1 Timothy 2:12, and then we can move on to address how women were treated as spoils of war, and how men could practice polygamy and put their wives to death if they became bored with them. How a man could rape a woman and then force her to marry him if they were found out, he could pay her father 30 shekels of silver....I believe this should be sufficient to get us started.

KnightofChrist

Let's start with 1 Timothy 2:12, and then we can move on to address how women were treated as spoils of war, and how men could practice polygamy and put their wives to death if they became bored with them. How a man could rape a woman and then force her to marry him if they were found out, he could pay her father 30 shekels of silver....I believe this should be sufficient to get us started.

Sure, but how does 1 Timothy 2:12 teach hatred of women? Form an actual argument please.

It all ties together with the subsequent examples, women were inferior, property. Sub-human even....if you don't discern that from the examples I listed. Then I don't know what else to say....I suppose being obtuse is a good defense mechanism.

Let's start with 1 Timothy 2:12, and then we can move on to address how women were treated as spoils of war, and how men could practice polygamy and put their wives to death if they became bored with them. How a man could rape a woman and then force her to marry him if they were found out, he could pay her father 30 shekels of silver....I believe this should be sufficient to get us started.

Solid start...

KnightofChrist

It all ties together with the subsequent examples, women were inferior, property. Sub-human even....if you don't discern that from the examples I listed. Then I don't know what else to say....I suppose being obtuse is a good defense mechanism.

More premises. How does 1 Timothy 2:12 teach hatred of women? Edited by KnightofChrist

Like I said the first time, it all ties together with the examples....It's not my fault if you can't understand it.....or refuse to.

KnightofChrist

Like I said the first time, it all ties together with the examples....It's not my fault if you can't understand it.....or refuse to.

I know what you stated the first time, you want to be able to jump around like a bunny so you don't get pinned down on a point you seem unwilling to provide with a sound argument. In any event premises tied in with premises do not form sound proof or conclusions. Please explain how 1 Timothy 2:12 teaches hatred against women.

So Medic what is your goal ? To show Catholics like myself the Bible couldn't possibly be the " word of God " ? Or is your goal to really try to have these questions answered and explained ? Are you even open to the possiblity God could exist even if there are faults in the Bible ?

you are starting to sound like a broken record....1 timothy 2:12 shows that women were inferior to men. and that ties into the examples I gave about the treatment of women in the bible....is that clear enough for you?  I understand how it's hard for you to admit the bible has a lot of ugly, hateful teachings in it....it appears your defense mechanism is to be willfully ignorant.

KnightofChrist

you are starting to sound like a broken record....1 timothy 2:12 shows that women were inferior to men.

How does it show hatred of women, ie misogyny. How does it show women were inferior to men?

you are starting to sound like a broken record....1 timothy 2:12 shows that women were inferior to men. and that ties into the examples I gave about the treatment of women in the bible....is that clear enough for you?  I understand how it's hard for you to admit the bible has a lot of ugly, hateful teachings in it....it appears your defense mechanism is to be willfully ignorant.

Sexist, not misogynistic. Terms matter.  :like: 

In all seriousness, you do bring up an important issue.  Quite frankly, I don't have a great answer right now, if you're willing to wait I'll try and come up with one.  I'll PM you, probably a better way of doing this anyhow.  

damn, I just realized your one of those type of believers, I gave you very solid examples and told you how 1 timothy ties into the treatment of women and you still want to ignore it.....this is going to be pointless, I strongly suggest you take a reading comprehension class....anyways I have a yard to attend to....